The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    While you're on the topic of TIM spread.

2. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    i redid my paste exactly his way right now lets see if there is any difference,and pics of what i had

https://imgur.com/a/L6beU5B

this was with 1 bigger dot in middle and 4 smalls on sides

3. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    With the 3 spot like on the video seems like maybe i shoved 5 degrees or so.
    But still with pbo on if i start prime95 it's 95 degrees and with aida64 85-90.

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well can you tell me your settings because I would love to try them to get 77c-5c=72c that is amazing with new Prime95 version with AVX on smallFF.
    Actually can you make a video and post it with your settings,you getting such great results you should share with everyone.
    Thanks.

Here is a video with new prime95 with AVX disabled blend test with all settings hitting 72c also.

5. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Ok coming back,
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/qQzrsdZ
    https://streamable.com/mouwl

Screens are for bios, i mean photo shoots cause i didnt see any screenshot option on my op gg beta bios, and the video is with prime95.
    Seems like now it's higher with prime95 small fft, and settings are without pbo and 0 overclock.

6. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    https://streamable.com/smmxj i made a 2nd video, prime95 first min after aida64.
    There are some spikes on the aida64 from 70 degrees to 75 and one to 78 or so.
    This are done with the settings from above photos.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    DUDE/Mam you should let Prime95 run so it starts the test on all CPU's at least but if your fine with it .I am good with what you showed.

8. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    It's running on 12 threads i mean that's the max we 6 core can have with smt.
    it's just minimized in case you thought i closed it look on the taskbar

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  9. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That was too much. I hope you applied in your 2nd try less than in 1st.
    Higher voltage comes from PBO manual Scalar X9, you wrote you have there.
    Anyway, this looks already "acceptable". You are not going to torture it in games like that.
    - - - -

And from images, I think I know the problem. Either CPU's IHS or cooler's base is bulged out in center. That results in very good contact in center, but bad around edges. And your CPU DIE is not at center, but in "corner" where you have thick TIM layer due to space.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019

11. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    actually the voltage you see in dota is with pbo off and i reapplied the tim exactly like in the video 3 dots on the side above the chiplet and 1 in the middle for the i/o still temps didnt go very much down.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, issue is that IHS/cooler's base is bulged out in center. I can tell you what I would do and many members too.
    But I am not sure if that's good idea for you.

I would take cooling out, cleaned. Cleaned IHS on CPU and take it out of socket too. Would put cooler upside-down and IHS on it. Then check how much space it actually has in between due to curvature. And finally sand cooler's base to fit IHS better.

But one has to be very careful there. Because while one can make great fit, next CPU you use this cooling may have exactly opposite trouble.
    So it is good to take some flat and precise measurement tool an check both IHS and heatsink's base against it to see which causes problem and make reasonable choice.

13. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Honestly i think i am ok with the temps i dont like the voltages tho but im waiting for a bios update cause my motherboard the x370 gaming pro carbon it's still on the first beta from 1st july with agesa 1003 not a or b or ab.

Evildead666 likes this.
  14. mmhorda

mmhorda Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    Hi. Could you please help me out and tell what exactly you had to tune after on this memory?
    I am having ASrock X470 Taichi Ultimate and 2700X CPU. I am struggling to make it work as intended with this memory :(
    you have mentioned VDDP and VDDG what should be on SoC, Gear Down Mode, Command Rate and ProcODT? basically I need all what you did with it :)

Thank you very much in advance!

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    If you have an A-XMP or DOCP profile, it should work especially with the last generation CPU. But I've read about Zen+ being picky about RAM.

I wouldn't copy my settings since they're specific to Zen2. An idea would be for you to get Thaiphoon burner and DRAM Calculator and use that as a guide to adjust your settings.

gerardfraser wrote this guide: "In thaiphoon burner export your XMP profile with complete HTML Report and save delays in nanoseconds to desktop or somewhere you would remember. Then import the XMP complete HTML Report to DRAM Calculator for Ryzen " But make sure you pick all the correct settings matching your RAM in DRAM Calculator or you'll get incorrect timings/settings.

Honestly I'm not very good at this since I've only done tuning based information from other people, it's not something I've figured out myself :)

16. mmhorda

mmhorda Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I've tried what @gerardfraser said. my problem is that DRAM Calculator is saying that this memory is not supported. I could run this memory on another X470 motherboard with the same CPU.
    It stopped working when i moved to this new board. All those clocks are actually matching in BIOS to the once that are reported by thaiphoon.
    So yeah. I am more than confused :)
    one more thing pls: you posted a picture from master Ryzen above (where all those voltages) I cannot see anything like that in my Ryzen Master. I have latest version but it looks different. How did you make it look like that?

Thanks!

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Your running 2700X on X470 Motherboard You will not have the same results on the 2700X CPU.
    Expect Max 3200Mhz stable,but with certain memory can go to 3600Mhz stable(not commom) and with a very particular type of memory and proper cooling you may get a little higher(rare very rare).

Since you did not list anything like memory and stuff and asking these questions I suggest you watch this video and write down the key points he makes on SOC voltage and things.It should get you to 3200Mhz stable on your RAM if your Ram even supports it.Do not expect more than 3200Mhz stable,really it is a great normal speed for 2700X.

18. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    i dont know if this is going to help you but here are my 100% stable settings for my last cpu and ram ryzen 5 1600x and micron b-die memories
    1.36 voltage
    https://imgur.com/a/5pTan7t 3200 mhz
    https://imgur.com/a/HtPatxL 3466 mhz

19. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    Apparently AMD said it is a bug in the BIOS that cause wrong clocks on CPU's and it will be fixed soon.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Stupid question perhaps but have you flashed the latest BIOS for your board? :)

Regarding the Ryzen Master picture, I haven't done anything really, it's running at default. Maybe Ryzen Master looks differently when on a Zen2 processor as opposed to a Zen or Zen+ processor?