New Windows 10 build update can cause high CPU activity

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 2, 2019.

1. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @spine
    as long as "we" cant disprove a multi universe, i have to believe there is.
    otherwise we're suffering thru this crap for nothing. :D

but never used bing/cortana/search, so..

see between 5-10% of load spread between 3 cores,
    whole cpu shows 0-1% load (monitoring tools i guess)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Both on my home and work rigs Win10 is not poisoned with bloatware and actually does a decent job - am I living in alternative universe?

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @mbk1969
    how do you manage to not have any notifications show related to firewall/defender?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which ones? (I have not seen firewall notifications for ages.)

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    i dont like win changing stuff on me (FW), so i deactivated FW/DF as much as possible,
    but i still get win to notify me about it not running, everytime i boot up.

6. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    My CPU usage @idle = 3% (~2% used by task manager when viewing how much being used)...
    [with Cortana whore whose disabled]

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    I didn't install this update (was an Optional), as ive not had any problems with the Patch Tuesdays, so i just installed the .NET Framwork one, that came through too.

As the say, if it ain't broke...... :D

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Make a screenshot of that notification and post it here.

9. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Till you eradicate the userbase and the human programmers, that will never happen.

i'd say you can if you compile your own kernel tbh, iv certainly had great performance from systems with a slimmed down custom kernel, especially in a server environment.

mbk1969 likes this.
  10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am always confused by the comments all the time how bad Windows 10 is.I will never understand,windows 10 does everything I want it to do and works fine.I only play games and brows some forums and watch some youtube,so pure casual user, so maybe why it works well for me.
    I do not mind the updates and if something happens there is always and easy fix.Not sure Linux or Mac is the same for easy fixes.

11. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    I never have problems with Win10 but i use LTSC so a lot of the bloat is taken out and buggy updates are delayed. I'd say linux, if you have know how can be easier to fix as its all open for you to look at the code, or worst case there is a million other projects that replace the same thing and do it worse or better.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Win10 has been a royal pain in the bleep on many fronts. The worst of all is that the start menu for a long time did not work at all. And I hate that I can't at times install a new version of say DDU at all because MS team has not verified it yet. XP and Win7 had a lot less trouble than this.

fry178 likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its pretty close already, youd hardly notice on a modern cpu, valve recently added experimental support for D9VK to proton, gave mw2 a whirl and it runs perfectly. the biggest obstacle for linux at this point is DRM, the only games ive tested that dont work properly, are ones with DRM related issues .

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im affected too, I used O&O to disable bing search.

fry178 and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    Hilbert, many thanks for posting this article...with it in mind, I extended my Windows update schedule by 10 days. And this situation is the exact reason why I chose the Pro version of Windows 10.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You think this is easy task with *NIX approach to source files and build process?

I am on Home edition and I can postpone updates for whatever period of time with the help of metered connection mode.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    insp1re2600 likes this.
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Sounds relatively benign, just draining power and causing performance problems. Microsoft is slowly improving. At least it isn't going to delete my files again... is it?
    Is that also the world where planned obsolescence isn't an industry-wide standard, started by a cult named after a fruit, and corporations don't try to rob your corpse after nickle and diming you to death (despite the already hyper-bloated, illegally fixed prices on everything)?

Sounds like a cool place.

18. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    A quick Google search indicates that this might not be the best course of action:

https://borncity.com/win/2019/08/30...rkaround-for-the-cortana-high-cpu-load-issue/

Another workaround
    With the above knowledge one could now simply say: Ok, I clear the cache and it’s fixed. Unfortunately this won’t help, because the cache will not be rebuilt if it is deleted or a new cache is created. But there is a workaround that the user has outlined in his comment:

Inserting the folder from prev.version works fine instead of black search window

Btw, looking of meaning “cache”, the folder is not recreated / regenerated by itself after delete

Folder saved from backup of 362.295 build (as I remember): cache.rar – Google Drive

German blog reader Werner confirmed to me that this workaround had helped him:

In a local fresh test installation of 1903 in VMWare the CPU load goes to 100% after installation of KB4512941.

If the cache folder is backed up before installing KB4512941 and the folders are copied back after the update, the CPU load of Cortana (immediately without reboot) goes to 0%.

and it continues with steps you may try.

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @mbk1969
    no worries. its just the normal "windows complaining" stuff, because services/tasks arent loading at boot.
    i still have other probs (driver/settings related), so not thaaat important right now, and ill ignore it.
    thanks tho

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more issues caused by pointlessly struggling against the machine :cool:

disabling all those telemetry services isn't preventing msft from tracking you, its just causing issues and preventing them from fixing their own.:rolleyes: