Gears of War 5

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There isn't any mention of this in the microsoft pages or github, got a source?

DirectML is not Async compute btw.

Don't look for a source, you're wrong.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    What? I didn't say anything about DirectML o_O

We already had this dance several pages back, and Max McMullen, the lead developer on D3D already said:

Source.

The fact that you didn't source this comment is suspicious. :confused:

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    [​IMG]

Max never said Async Compute / Multi engine was not possible on 12on7

The DirectX discord is publicly joinable if you want to ask the team questions

4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    ^^ I guess we'll see when the game ships. If it's possible, it may not be worth it, and the game may not even allow you to turn it on if you're on Windows 7. Asynchronous compute only makes sense when there is a performance gain. That's why it's always been disabled in the driver for Maxwell GPUs, because they can't do it without a performance hit.

And from what the previews have said, Gears 5 will offload almost all of its entire post processing shaders to asynchronous compute so the drivers, API and the GPU hardware will need to be in complete alignment for it to work effectively without causing a performance hit.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can't find the ultra hd texture pack in Xbox App(PC). Any information on that ?

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I just got an update on the Xbox App for nearly 1GB. It may not be that, but texture pack will likely be available in the next few days before the game becomes playable on Thursday; that is if you have the Ultimate edition. Standard edition will be playable on the 9th.

It will probably be an automatic download, and not an option like on Steam.

7. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The UHD texture pack will be way over 1GB. Maybe you're right, we'll see in the next days.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I know I'm definitely right. What kind of shenanigans would it be if the texture pack was available on Steam, but not on Microsoft's own platform? o_O

9. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Even on steam it says(Coming soon). I don't think that you can pre-load the game with the texture pack pre-installed.

10. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to. The Xbox app shows the game will have an approximate size of 66GB. Right now it's at 59.7 for me, so there is still a ways to go. Also Steam's preload starts on Monday or Tuesday this week.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK the Coalition's community manager addressed how the texture update is going to happen if you bought your copy through the Windows store.

Basically, you'll be prompted to download it if you select ultra quality textures while in game. Can't say I'm too happy about this, as Windows store already has really slow downloads; at least for me :mad:

But it's a consequence of getting to play the game four days early, which is preferable to me as I'm off that Thursday anyway.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OctusTC/status/1168212201280159745?s=20

12. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Why would anyone buy this on the Windows Store if it is going to be on Steam?!

13. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Windows store gets it 4 days earlier, if I understand correctly.

cerebus23 likes this.
  14. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yep.
    At this point, MS don't really seem to care where people buy their games. Win10 store of Steam. They just seem to want to grow their PC player base.

cerebus23 likes this.
  15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just made me realize, Mixer belongs to Microsoft, Microsoft payed Ninja to move to Mixer, the Halo games will be releasing on PC soon, I wonder if they will get Ninja to play Halo for marketing purposes... from what I understand he used to be a pro Halo player so he would be suited for it.

cerebus23 likes this.

16. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Gamepass for 1$ only ;)

cerebus23 likes this.
  17. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

They are, He's just recently been to the 343 hq and he is doing a halo promotion.

He'll have exclusive access before anyone on twitch.

This. And I don't have any issues with the MS store, If Microsoft are gonna be cool and put the game on both and steam I don't mind using their platform if everyone is given a choice, I also play a few other games from the pc pass. So its all good.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I thiiiiiink I remember reading a while ago now that Dave Bautista was actually interested in playing Marcus in a live action movie of Gears of War if it ever became a live action movie so this kind of cool.

cerebus23 likes this.
  19. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

He was tweeting about it a few weeks ago, Him and Terry Crews being Marcus and Cole.

I love all the random people being added as characters.

I don't know how many people here would know him but i'd love for Simon Miller to be a playable character

20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well, from what I'm hearing so far on twitter and elsewhere, Gears 5 looks like it might very well bring the Gears of War franchise back to form and relevancy. Members of the press and those lucky few who managed to already get their hands on a copy early are saying Gears 5 is the best Gears to date, so we might be seeing some high review scores when the they start dropping on Wednesday.

If Gears 5 gets a 90+ average score on Metacritic, that will be a big deal, because in the current generation, Microsoft has struggled to get their core titles into the 90+ range with the exception of the Forza Horizon series.