The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Well, if you ask me it feels strange that there is this XMP feature that comes with every kit but cannot be used. The reason why I'm surprised is that I've used XMP on a Z170 mobo and now my old kit on this mobo which worked fine, but on the other hand both were supported in QVL and this new kit isn't.

2. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    As gerardfraser said : The XMP 2.0 profile is for Intel, so that might be why.
    In my 2700X rig I'm using Flare-x ram but with manually keyed in timings, since the XMP profile simply doesn't work.

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Sorry, let me be more precise - The Neo C version has an D.O.C.P / A-XMP profiles and is specifically tailored for the AMD platform.

https://www.gskill.com/product/165/...DDR4-3600MHz-CL16-19-19-39-1.35V32GB-(2x16GB)

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    LOL OK I am done with confusion now,you straightened me out.I missed that you actually bought that Ram,My fault. On your new ram please try this below.(F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC)

In thaiphoon burner export your XMP profile with complete HTML Report and save delays in nanoseconds to desktop or somewhere you would remember.
    Then import the XMP complete HTML Report to DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

Then in the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen pick the settings you want and try them,they are meant as a guide and if you have a couple of errors give more voltage.
    If games crash/stop/hitch/stutter then your RAM timings are incorrect and you need to set them properly.This is why the DRAM Calculator for Ryzen is perfect guide for someone/anyone out there.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    I know the Neo C is designed for the X570 and AMD 3000 platform. But since it doesn't work why not try other options.
    According to your profile you have an X470 board, right ?

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Actually I got help on another forum and they found the reason why my RAM was so unstable - the voltages, specifically VDDP and VDDG were way too high, 1,10v and 1,15v respectively (should be 0,9v/0,95v), also SoC was too low. Then we did tweaks to Gear Down Mode, Command Rate and ProcODT and now it works perfectly fine. It has passed both Cinebench and CPU-Z bench and I'll play some games this weekends to look for BSODs. General performance is higher now than with my old memory so that's nice as well :)

I might check DRAM Calculator anyway though.

Yes you are right, that's why it was a bit of a risk but as stated above, it seemed to have turned out well after some tinkering with voltages and timings. There is probably a little bit more to tweak but at least my system doesn't seem to restart itself any more. Hopefully official memory support will be added with a new BIOS version later down the line. I've sent my data to MSI so maybe that will help them.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    That is great,nice to read.happy gaming.

Netherwind likes this.
  9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Some knowledge to absorb :p

10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Been mucking around with my setup, just to experiment, I tried setting one of the CPU to 4600Mhz, and it did hit that target (4599Mhz actually), but wasn't very stable as my other cores ran at 4400Mhz (perhaps a dumba$$ move on my part). Anyway, it was cool to see one core actually hitting that speed though. Now have all cores at 4500Mhz (weirdly, all at 4499Mhz actually) at 1.3375v, RAM at 3334Mhz. Haven't really delve into RAM OC'ing and timing yet, waiting to get my 4x 8GB Patriot Steel Viper 3733's to be delivered by my brother next month.

Fox2232 likes this.

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    4500MHz All-core Manual OC on a 3900X? Yes, that's impressive. Is it CB20 or Prime stable?

12. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Honestly my cpu the 3600, it's either retard or i have no clue i put an noctua nh-u12a on it the last itineration from noctua with 2 fans and 7 heatpipes, and i said ok this one should cool the lil bastard, my god wasnt i wrong..., so prime95 small fpu - directly 95 degrees+, aida64 81-85, in games 53-60. Honestly can you help me a bit with your temps, guys who have this ryzen 5 3600 cause either im doing something wrong or i dont know, i have no overclock everything is on auto, only the ram is at 3600, the rest are stock everything.
    Btw this is with 100% fans at 2k rpm.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  13. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Can you post a picture of the fan mounted inside the case ?
    The Noctua NH-U12a is only 1-2 deg above the Noctua NH-D15 which is the king of aircoolers.
    So maybe, just maybe you have the fans mounted wrong.
    Have you installed Ryzen master ? Could you share a screenshot of that as well ?

14. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    This 2 are with how the cooler is mounted.
    https://imgur.com/a/Z94MiYo
    https://imgur.com/a/J3m6xRl

This one is with 4 screens with PBO on and PBO off.
    https://imgur.com/a/3lqErHK

And i think i found the culprit :> it's the pbo shooting too much voltage.
    Without PBO 77 degrees on small fft on prime95.
    The settings i use for the PBO is motherboard's limits, which translates into EDC 140A, TDC 95A, PPT 125W, Scalar to 9X, and 200 mhz overclock.
    I think this was the culprit for my temps actually.
    Your opinions?

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, you have incorrectly installed heatsink. It should have no problem to dissipate stable 115W (Which is btw, your maximum.)
    But you should not use Scalar 9X in situation you have no thermals under control.

16. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Honestly you can install this cooler in 1 way possible i would say maybe the tim, but i put it exactly as noctua says in a vid on youtube for amd ryzen, 1 bigger dot in the middle and 4 small on the sides.
    Is there something else i can try?

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Remove heatsink and see how did TIM spread. Adjust to improve spread. Target is to have minimum TIM left on both CPU's IHS and cooler's base.
    TIM is not there to create some thick layer. It is there to fill air gaps on rough surfaces.

Then way you install it matters. Your MB should be aligned with ground and heatsink put on it. Installation while main board is in vertical position often results in bad TIM spread.
    (And much harder manipulation.)

Lastly is tightening method. Use thin screwdriver, not something with big T handle. (But considering that those Noctuas come with long L screwdriver, you may have hard time finding something adequate, be gentle till the end.) That way you have better control over tightening torque. Small steps are the key here for good spread. With many heatsinks, installation screws have springs and are meant to be tightened fully. (This applies to two screws on base of your heatsink too.)

Since your cooling comes with protective plastic cover for base, I expect there is no thin plastic film on base that would have to be removed otherwise.

18. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    of course i mounted it with the motherboard horizontally not vertically, the tightening was until the limit of the screws let me i didnt force them il check for the tim when i go home and il take a pic and share it.

19. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    @liviut
    Prime95 new version will use AVX instructions .Your CPU will hit 95c. This is normal ,you need to make adjustments.

EDIT: just read you turned off PBO and 77c was tempeture this is normal with older Prime95

Aida64 new edition can use AVX when Stability testing,check under preferences.Also CPU,FPU,Cache,Memory test the CPU can hit 85c+.This is normal when running all same time ,AIDA 64 is a good test for stability.

Fox2232 makes great points on the mounting but there is just no magic fix when torture test with newest prime95 with AVX instructions,you would need a golden 3600 CPU which are the worst out of all Ryzen 3 CPUs.

Golden sample would be around 4100Mhz @ 1.23v and you would still hit 90c in Prime95 with just about any cooler.Hell even real water cooling does not help much.
    IF you want I will run Prime95 for you at what your settings are with AIO 240MM and see what my temperatures are.

List your settings or screen shot all BIOS and I will try duplicate and run almost same test.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  20. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    Everytest you se there was done with the latest prime95 and aida64, without pbo 77 is the max on prime95 with pbo 95.