Ion Fury (new Build engine fps!)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nobody was fired.
    That was an unverified rumor.

The sprite will remain unchanged in the game. The text in the devroom will be corrected.

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    good to hear i did not hear anyone correct that.

3. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    This is the first time (that I've seen) that the perpetually offended journalist isn't humoured in the end. It's a shame that more hit pieces from other "progressive" outlets are sure to follow. The game's awesome to play, and doesn't deserve any of this nonsense.

AsiJu, cerebus23 and Kolt like this.
  4. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    To be on topic (since the game really pleasantly surprised me in how well it plays) - Ion Maiden doesn't like RTSS, or any other tampering. I've tried to use scanline sync and/or RTSS' framelimiter, but it leads to frametime issues ingame (same thing in Eduke32, which this game is powered by). Must be some quirk of the Build engine. I recommend all to use driver based Vsync, and the new low latency mode on Nvidia cards, along with threaded optimisation turned to on, instead of adaptive.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    [​IMG]

Finished it.
    Again.

This is like the third time I've been through the entire game. Had someone call me a cheater for getting a 100% run, but, I've been playing the game since beginning of July due to testing. So, part of that testing was making sure 100% runs were doable.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Nice, played through the game in one sitting but got some fatigue during the third episode and didn't bother as much with secrets. Was enjoyable though but the later levels felt very maze like and the underground theme got repetitive though the increase in enemy variety was nice as was the various "Super secret." stuff with the hidden level that could be found with some luck or a lot of patience and trial and error. ("Unf unf where is it." As the Duke would say.)

Overall it was a good solid return to the hitscan 90's though less hitscan than Blood thankfully. Also not a huge fan of the final boss...
    A re-spin of the Icon of Sin from DOOM 2 with a slightly different gimmick for how to get the damage to reach the boss but that spam on enemy spawns got downright ridiculous at the later half and then up even further for the final quarter even crashing the game at one point with a "Too many sprites." error message like yeah of course there were there were these larger tankier enemies everywhere at that point but at least it doesn't seem to be infinite. :D

EDIT: Oh and random drops from headshots and gibs were a nice touch, like Blood but now a reliable way to get supplies as long as you either hit enemies in the head or blow them apart. :D

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    How many hours does it take to finish the game?

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Around ten I would say is a realistic estimate but it can be shorter if you decide to blast through the main parts of the map once you have the majority of the arsenal and just want to get to the next level with some light puzzle solving and key card hunting involved though the Build engine and this variant of eDuke I think allows for a pretty flexible and pretty large levels to be created so there's a lot of exploration and quite a number of secrets per episode as a result.

Took me around seven hours total mainly from trying to get close to 100% secrets for the first three maybe four episodes and then for the latter half it was mostly just ensuring ammo and health was good and pushing through the levels pretty briskly though I found a few things even so from exploring a few areas more thoroughly.

So definitively around par for a modern shooter or FPS game then at a much lower price tag and I also really enjoyed the game and might replay it at some point down the line attempting the highest difficulty levels and finding the remainder of the secrets. :)

KissSh0t likes this.
  9. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I found that too and actually if you cap with RTSS to some of the values given ingame, you will get a smooth experience (even when the ingame cap is set higher to not take effect).
    Capping to other framerates creates framepacing issues, I've seen this happen in other Build games.

So use ingame limiter but set Vsync off ingame and force (if necessary) from NV CPL instead. Prerendered frames to 1 or Low Latency to On or Ultra (using Ultra myself), depending on driver version.

@Netherwind

Sorry I gave you bad advice earlier, but you can most likely work around your issue by setting the ingame cap to 100 or 120 and then use the fps offset to reach your target refresh rate.

For example if fps cap 100 then set fps offset -5 to reach a 95 fps cap. Experiment and YMMV, but you won't get good results with RTSS it seems, after all.

I've clocked I think 11 hours so far total, of which 1 or 2 during the preview campaign. I'm at third episode atm and I've perhaps found 30 ... 35 % of secrets.

So not blasting through but not extensively combing through either. Playing at Ultra Viscera difficulty but not dying too often because I'm gud :D

So probably total playtime will be around the 20 hrs mark. For first playthrough.

KissSh0t and JonasBeckman like this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Actually I didn't try your initial advice but I've tried the offset (set to 100 and then use -5) and it doesn't work for me since turning the camera feels super choppy and very uneven which is why I went with 60fps. Actually got the same problem with Dishonored 2 so it might be related somehow?

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Doubt they're related, both engines just not playing nicely with your refresh rate I guess.

How about capping to 95 fps or slightly below with RTSS but turn vsync off completely?

You will get tearing but could be the lesser evil if motion is smooth.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Average playtime is roughly 8 to 10 hours, upwards of 12 hours.
    If you go full on secret hunting, you're looking to push that number much higher.

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    AsiJu likes this.
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I tried every possible combination but it just doesn't work. Tried 75/100/120/144 caps in the game including offset, tried RTSS cap, tried every Vsync option, tried disabling G-sync, yea pretty much everything but nope.

Luckily I still have my 60fps option.

15. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    This game is fantastic!

Everytime I play, my play session extends beyond what i originally planned. Levels are designed nicely, only got a little confused where to go on a couple of levels so far but that's part of the fun.

Weapons are nice especially the shotgun, sounds awesome too. Havent had no real issues with ammo either, use the right weapon on the right enemy with careful aiming and you will be ok. Plenty ammo to find if you look everywhere.

Soundtrack is awesome too, really hope they release it separately.

Rant..
    It's a real shame such a good game is being over shadowed by bullshit. The progressive f***s are ruining gaming bringing political agenders into every game saying what can and cant be allowed. If you dont like the content f*** off and play something else. If it wasnt for these vocal groups I'd have no idea what half of these thing mean in games and even then majority is being misinterpreted from these head f***s.

I play games for escape from real world crap end off.

Sorry for the rant guys!

AsiJu likes this.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Oh you have Gsync? Strange, I'm capping to 120 fps (144Hz GSync compatible monitor) and it works fine, with ingame cap and ingame vsync off.

Okay since you have Gsync one last idea: cap to 90 fps with RTSS (set ingame cap to the next higher value like 120), ingame vsync off, NV CPL vsync off, Gsync on, prerendered frames to let application decide.
    If that isn't smooth try capping to 80 or 85 or even 1 fps differences with RTSS.

RTSS in itself doesn't cause bad framepacing, it's the engine that only seems to "like" certain framerate caps. If I cap to 120 fps with RTSS it's just as smooth as ingame cap.

17. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yep, and unfortunately just 95Hz which probably is the reason why I'm having this problem. I can try your suggestions but since 75FPS cap also doesn't work I'm wondering what could be wrong. By the way, why are you not using the 144FPS cap?

18. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    I have a GSYNC 144Hz monitor, the game is set to 144FPS or Unlimited (I can't remember what setting it offers), capped to 142 (Or maybe 141? I can't remember) with RTSS, VSYNC forced in NVCP, looks perfectly smooth and I'm extremely sensitive to stutter/framepacing issues. Dishonored 2 also sticks in my mind lol, don't think that was ever patched properly but I never ended up playing it more than 20 mins since launch because of the same issues you mentioned.

Not at my PC at the moment, I'll confirm all my settings when I get home later today if the above doesn't fix it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    144 ingame cap was very choppy for some reason, possibly because the actual framerate / frametime kept fluctuating. Haven't tried 144 or slightly under with RTSS though...

I always cap at least slightly below 144 to avoid going over 144 and I can't tell any difference really between 120 and 144 fps, anymore.
    I have a global fps cap of 140 in RTSS and app specific overrides where necessary.

The reasoning behind trying 90 was it's a multiple of 30, like 60 and 120 which both are smooth. Long shot but doesn't hurt to try. Since you have Gsync.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for trying to help me. I'll try RTSS 94FPS cap and -6 offset at home.