Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Spidermand: In to the Spiderverse.

Heard a lot of about this last year, loads of folk saying yes this is one of the best if not the best superhero movie, the same year that Infinity War came out I was thinking yeah, not a chance.

Let me make this clear Infinity War wins purely on the back of if being the start of the end of a decade long project, it wins because of everything that came before it.... however In to the spiderverse is a fantastic stand alone movie an easy 9 out of 10.

If you're an MCU who has been a bit iffy about seeing none MCU content because you think it won't be able to match what the MCU was doing, especially the last three years were the MCu has just been knocking it out of the park, Ragnorak, Black Panther, IW and End Game, put that aside and see Into the Spiderverse, it is refreshingly different and just very very good.

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Iron Sky 2: Quite funny, although a bit over the top. Pt. 1 was better, but still worth the look unless you pay for it :D

3. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    Hey woah hey, hey. Woah. Hey.

I liked Alita too, but it came out a long time after 2049, lets not trash on future-classics.

4. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Rutger Hauer just passed away. Crazy coincidence that his death in Blade Runner was also in 2019.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    eGGroLLiO likes this.

5. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Pesci, De Niro, Pacino and Scorcese. What more you do you need.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Goodfellas 2.0?

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    [​IMG]

Dam.....wrong thread!...can't move....still funny though!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    RzrTrek, Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Anyone see this? Based on true story of black dude joining KKK.

9. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    It was actually pretty funny as well I thought it was a good movie.

Deleted member 213629 and alanm like this.
  10. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So it looks like Spiderman is out of the MCU because big money corporations can't reach an agreement about who should be getting all the money. I guess with XMen and Fantastic Four back under Marvel control Disney thought meh we can afford to lose Spidey. Just as his story was starting to get interesting as well.

Icanium likes this.

11. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Is it just the money or Sonys desires to populate their Spiderverse with characters barred from joining the MCU?

12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Sony own the rights to Spiderman so they can do pretty much whatever they want with him. They had Enter the Spiderverse (fantastic movie by the way) out last year so their is no issue with them releasing actual Spiderman movies with Spiderman or any of the characters that are part of Spiderman as stand alones or even setting up their own Spiderverse.

My understanding is that Disney did the production of the Spiderman movies with their MCU overlord Feige overseeing the movies. Disney took a small percentage of the first day take from each movie and Sony pretty much sat back and did as little as it could get away with. Disney turned round and said we want a 50 / 50 cut of the take and Sony's response was to laugh and end it there, they didn;t even counter offer.

Disney / Marvel took a character that Sony had failed to make decent movies with, the last three movies produced by Sony grossed no more than $750mill and are amongst the lowest grossing of the entire Spiderman Franchise. The two Marvel movies are amongst the highest grossing 2billion between the two movies. That's 300mill more than the last three Sony only movies. Far From Home is currently sitting at 1.1billion, that's something that Sony could never have done with the franchise and yes a lot of that has to do with it being the next movie after End Game but evn then Home Coming has grossed more than any other Spiderman movie other than Spiderman 3.

Disney / Marvel have boosted Spiderman via their own movies, the little inserts in Civil War, IW and EG as well as the two stand alones and they seem to believe that they should be getting more money for the efforts. I have to agree with Disney here

Disney Marvel have got the marketting right, their is a reason why the last four or five movies have all made a billion with two of them amongst the highest grossing movies, and THE highest grossing movie of all time. On the other hand Enter The Spiderverse is a great example that shows Sony have no idea what they are doing. This movie is fantastic, easily one of the best Spiderman movies, yet also the lowest grossing and that;s because Sony just didn not market it at all, either that or the well has been so poisioned by Sony's previous lone Spierman efforts that no one was going to give it the time of day.

Anyway that doesn't mean I am happy or will actively defend Disney's position. They are doing things right and it has no doubt given success to Spiderman that Sony will never ever be able to match however end of the day Disney could very easily absorb the 'cost' but then on the other hand Sony seems to want to have all the money from a failure rather than have a percentage of the money from a success.

All I know is it's going to be weird if they stick with Tom Holland because having him pop up in Sony only movies with no mention of Stark or Shield or Nick Fury keeping tabs or in fact any of the events of the up coming MCU Phase 4 ior the events of the previous MCU Phase 3 is going ot be very jarring and if Venom is anything to go by it's not only going to be jarring but also very very bad.

Two big money companies fighting over who should be getting all the dosh and end of the day the only folk that suffer are going to be the fans.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    Icanium likes this.
  13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  14. Angel has Fallen was surprisingly not bad - just a good turn your brain off kick your feet up and enjoy yourself kinda movie (the kind you shouldn’t regret paying for) “fun”

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Saw that the other day, yippeeee :)

16. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    How about a bloody irishman for crying out loud, they are all bloody italian. :mad:
    Liam Neeson and Colin Farrell busy were they?

17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    De Niro is mixed, Irish among other things ;)

18. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    with a dollop of arrogant arsehole. Pacino came out really well in an interview i saw recently. :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Can't believe Sacha is in a serious movie :D

20. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Ive never liked SBC's comic side, overrated in my opinion. Playing a straight role im interested.
    Robin Williams was to manic for me but he shone when he played it straight. :)