CD Projekt RED Announces Cyberpunk

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, May 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    The only middle ware that has something in common with what you described in your post is Umbra. Simplygon is a tool for 3d mesh optimization. Physx is well known, and honestly it isn't even used to it's potential in TW3. SpeedTree is tool for tree creation. To say that they have used Simplygon is like saying that they have used 3DS MAX or Photoshop. It makes no sense.
    The reason why many studios use Umbra for example is to speed up their game developing. Also don't be so sure that their in house solution will be better than some middle ware like Umbra.

2. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Umbra was used in the Witcher 3 for occlusion culling. Simplygon was used for LoD generation.

A simple search would have told you this. It's my understanding that the top 3D engines usually handle both occlusion culling and LoD adjustment in engine. If Red Engine 3 had been capable of that, then we would have had higher polygon count structures for the PC version of the Witcher 3 rather than having the exact same as the console versions.

Or maybe not. CDPR it seems was hellbent on having parity across all platforms.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    When CP2077 twitter shares there's a discount at a certain store for CP2077 pictures printed on metal plates merchandise... cool motives or so, but for the first time you think...
    ... "I hope it doesn't suck".

:D

4. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Carfax, dude, i told you before that you should not talk about something you don't understand.
    I know what Umbra does, and Umbra is not what i'm referring here. Umbra is a culling/streaming tool which has been used by even bigger companies which have more money and people then CDPR. It's an excellent tool, so don't expect that CDPR in house solution will work better.
    But Simplygon is not part of rendering pipeline, it's a part of art pipeline. It's a tool for 3d mesh optimization, or LOD chain creation. So once you create your LODs and export them to your final build, that's it. The rest is rendered by the engine.
    You can do the same manually in the 3ds max for example, but that takes too much time. I have used similar tools like Umbra and Simplygon, and in fact i use tool similar to Simplygon right now. I don't use any streaming/culling middle ware with Cryengine because it doesn't support them. Cryengine has it's own internal tool.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Dude, get a grip. This ain't rocket science. And for an "expert" you've been wrong so many times, I can hardly keep track. The latest being "What middle ware? The only external tool that they have used is the SpeedTree." :rolleyes:

The truth is, CDPR used a long list of middle ware for the Witcher 3. Whether they will use the same middle ware solutions for CBP 2077 remains to be seen.

I never said that Simplygon was part of the rendering pipeline. I challenge you to quote me where I said anything like that at all. As usual, you are putting words in my mouth to make it seem as though you have an argument when in reality, you have none.

I specifically said it was used for LoD generation. What happened was that CDPR used the same LoD assets generated by Simplygon across all platforms, rather than having the PC build have its own separate assets. They probably did this to save time and money, but the downgrade was outrageous nonetheless.

Yes, the top engines have that capability already built in. Which is why LoD in PC games which use powerful engines Frostbite 3, CryEngine, Unreal Engine, AnvilNext etcetera typically have various settings with which you can manipulate it within the game itself. With Simplygon this is apparently not feasible since the assets are already baked in to the engine at that point.

6. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    I admit that i didn't know that CDPR is using Umbra. I thought that they have their own in house solution for culling/streaming. In fact they have their own culling solution which has been used for TW2, but this was not good enough for TW3 open world for which you also need streaming. Btw, the fact that they use Umbra is just one big plus because they didn't have enough resources to create their own solution, which would probably worked worse.
    Umbra is an AAA standard, so that's the reason why so many AAA companies use it.

But only two middle wares are part of rendering pipeline, Umbra and Physx. How much is Physx integrated into the rendering pipeline i don't know because i don't work with that.
    The rest of the middle ware tools are irrelevant, and anyone who knows how they work wouldn't even mention it.

Simplygon is content creator tool, and that's it. Just like Photoshop or 3ds or SpeedTree. It doesn't render anything in your game and it doesn't control LoD distance. This is what you don't know and it is rocket science for you.
    And why would they used different LoD assets for a PC? Nobody does that in any game. What you do is just you change LoD distance behavior in engine, for example you can make LODs to behave less aggressively so with that you can have more details closer to your camera and also in the distance.
    Btw, in TW3 console and PC LoDs are not the same for all assets, they don't behave the same, and especially for distance shadows which are decreased on the consoles.

Many AAA studios use different middle ware tools. A lot of them are just content creators with which you can make your game a lot faster. So to mention them in the context that you did just shows how much you don't know.
    Don't spread disinformation. That doesn't benefit anyone.

7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Again, I never said it rendered anything. Pertaining to the draw distance, that seems to be an engine function as Red Engine 3 got some enhancements for Blood and Wine and the draw distance was greatly improved compared to the base game as I already acknowledged.

Because the LoD assets are baked in to the engine. But I do agree that I was perhaps misleading in my comments, because draw distance is a function of the engine and not really related to LoD meshes.

I already said this on the previous page. The exceptions are vegetation and shadows.

8. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    This is from your post "CDPR had to rely on middle ware for things like LoD and draw distance because the engine was incapable of doing it internally."
    And this is not true. I have explained why, and how it works.

I understand that you like to talk about engines and other stuff, but in order to know them you must work with them.

9. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super

I would forgive them for bugs, if i could just get my hands on this right now.
    I heard about vehicle tuning, how cool is that? I wonder how big and detailed/interactive the world is.

10. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    enjoy :D

fantaskarsef and Solfaur like this.
  13. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  14. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
    fantaskarsef and serbicu like this.
  15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    ^OK so we're going to see the second gameplay demo! Can't wait! :D

DocStrangelove likes this.

16. DocStrangelove

DocStrangelove Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX2080 Super
  17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
  18. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I'd call it useless pandering with all this "wE wAnT eVeRyOnE To fEeL cOmFoRtAbLe" nonsense, but as was stated above, the idea of a custom made/tweaked body kinda fits in the world the game takes place.

19. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    yikes, I guess male/female is too "offensive" in 2019

warlord likes this.
  20. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.