Windows power plan settings explorer utility

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, Aug 3, 2017.

1. chros

chros Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Nice, thanks, any important feature? :)

Do you have a list of your utils that you made?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Optimization of power usage. Mostly for laptops, but also to gurus who don`t like to run rig at full power level all the time.

Go to my profile and switch to Information tab.

duttyend and chros like this.
  3. chros

chros Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    Nice, I'll love it! And not just with laptops but with any passive cooled PCs as well.
    Is it based on the work we done couple of months ago?
    Btw, my config works like a charm since then :)

Thanks, I'll take a look at them :)

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I yet to decide whether to use single power plan settings in upcoming utility. For now I do experiment with switching power plans on various events like monitor went off, user stopped to interact with the rig, laptop`s lid is closed, battery went beyond a treshold value - stuff like that. Plus I will add some reactions on process startup - to switch power plan, to forbid OS to go idle, to forbid monitor go off.

I started new project mostly to dive in new (for me) UI framework - WPF. So it will be a school project, but I hope it will be useful for gurus.

We performed a thorough research.

duttyend and chros like this.

5. By the way guys was playing around with some settings and the Interrupt Steering settings , by setting to Processor 1 gave me a better latency, dropped from 56-60us to 7-12 us.

Jackalito and CyberSparky like this.
  6. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Brilliant little program :) but some of the blurb on Processor settings is confusing, my brain wont let me understand it :( Could someone share the settings for maximum performance so i can get the best out of windoes 10 1809. :)

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    To recommend settings we should know your CPU model, your usage of power plans and of Windows overall.
    I use two power plans - balanced and high performance. Balanced plan I tweaked to be of "performance on demand" type, but with disabled turbo mode. High performance I tweaked to disable P-states, to constant work at turbo mode, but with C-states (to lower the heat and wattage).

duttyend and Clanger like this.
  8. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    @mbk1969 core i3 8300(doesnt have turbo boost) on B360 chipset. All sleep states disabled in bios. Not overclocked, cpu running 4 cores at its rated speed, 4x 3.7ghz constantly, core parking disabled in OS, highly modified(tweaked only) windows 10 1809(LTSC), massive reduction in Handles Threads and Process and ram usage. PC does a bit of everything(ecept gaming and benchmarking) but its main workload is audio editing and rendering, i need speed stability accuracy. REAPER Audacity and Sound Forge set to single core(gives smoother rendering on compressed formats). Dont need more than 4 cores. Will keep custom and Balanced power plans only.

We have the best hardware we have ever had and the worst operating system, i want to redress that balance.

I prefer working directly in the registry and would like to get the plan settings into ControlSet001. If i delete a plan there are still loads on entries for them in the registry, really MS, 4 power plans and the Ultimate plan isnt ultimate at all? :confused:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    duttyend likes this.
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Clanger
    Then there is nothing to tweak for CPU in power plans - no C-states, no P-states, no core parking.

Are you sure you delete namely registry entries for deleted power plans? And utility doesn`t use registry. It uses pure Windows API.

Have you enabled MSI mode for PCI devices?

10. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Great stuff :) Fiddled with Bitsum and Windowsafg power plan configurator, wondered if i was missing something.

I just use powercfg delete guid. I read all 6 pages and know about the api. Dont know what "MSI mode" is but im here to learn and see if i missed anything. :) Thank you @mbk1969

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  12. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    Ive had to change the way i work due to health issues so i just tweak and i get great bang for buck. Deleting all those removed plan entries could be a lot of work for very little benefit, i will ignore them.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    In any case, using powercfg is a proper way to do that.

14. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    powercfg is the only way i know how. :)

mbk1969 likes this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Theoretically speaking I could implement that feature - delete power plan with all its values - in that utility, but as you said benefits are too low to be motivated.

duttyend likes this.

16. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I try not to use 3rd party tools where i can help it, i harvest registry tweaks with RegFromApp and RegConvert to make my own custom bats/cmds.

17. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    I cant be bothered to do that so i dont expect you to, tools good as it is :)

I saved the Power section under ControlSet001(LTSC), 2614 lines as a bat file :eek:, i aint going there :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  18. Clanger

Clanger Guest

GPU:
    igpu
    It should actually be quite easy for users to do, get a good 3rd party registry editor, run it elevated on a mounted or live registry, delete all required plan gui Keys. Its not elegant or automated like in a bat or cmd but it works.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As I said, there is Power plan API in Windows, and I was talking about deleting power plans through this API. I am against blind and/or uneducated registry modification. When you do something through the API you can be sure that whatever version of Windows you have API will do its job. When you manually modify registry you can`t be sure of that because things could be changed in newer versions.

duttyend likes this.
  20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Maybe I am missing something, but why do you need to delete the default power plans, that is not a great idea IMO.
    I have like 6 plans and never had an issue with them even with Process lasso switching plans accordingly.

PS: I don't actually use all those plans, there for testing purposes(use mainly two in real use).