Intel Comet Lake for Desktop has 1200 pins - to require a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well that's why I said "better than another broken-compatibility refresh". Coffee Lake was a "continuation" too and yet that had broken backward compatibility.
    I don't disagree that a new socket should be for a new beginning, but, I would rather see a new socket than 1151 getting more confusing than it already is.

airbud7 likes this.
  2. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    eBay is factor when people dont have alternative, most people dont have micro center, Europe doesn't have it and its not even in every US city, if people sell on ebay and newegg for inflated prices, it means people are buying because they have no alternative right now.
    Its like when new consoles come out, remember how people sold 200USD Wii for 800? And people that wanted paid up, because they had no choice.
    Same with Switch consoles and many otehr consoles and expensive products, even 2080Ti was sold for inflated prices for a period of time.

You right about cheap alternative, but for me it doesn't compute :) Why someone going to buy 12 or 16 Core monster and then go and use an old motherboard instead of going full on high-end?
    Its like ill get 9900K, and put it on whats that chipset Wallmart used in their PC? A320 if im not mistaken?
    I think most people have Balanced computers, for both usability and financial reasons

Take a look at the images again, i compared the new z490 vs z390, it has 6 PCIe lanes more.

3. This......what the hell are y'all talking about. Everything in the article indicated 3.0

4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    You know its bad when even the mods jump in to bad mouth Intel, and AMD cpu's will not reach the advertised 4.75mhz even with only 1 core BOOSTING. That with the many other issue's AMD HAS, it seems they keep doing the same old thing to there faithful customers, HYPE IT UP then push it out. AMD doesn't over clock it BOOSTS, when and IF the temps fall low enough, given the junk stock cooler people r using that will neva eva happen!

MegaFalloutFan likes this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You know you're showing too much of a bias when you somehow interpret his quote as badmouthing Intel, when Intel (or any of their products) weren't mentioned anywhere in it...

Since when is defending AMD against FUD "badmouthing Intel"?

EDIT:
    Also, even despite AMD cheaping out on their latest coolers, they should not be your top pick of ridicule when it comes to stock coolers and maintaining boost clocks.

6. :cool: Indeed, it’s a full moon outside tonight...

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Duh, did they have gun to their head? No, even then they would have choice. I am waiting one and half months for 3900X. I can buy it for inflated price. But I choose to not encourage scumbags.
    You see, it is matter of choice to have choice.

I guess, I am incomprehensible to you. Having choice, making choice. And doing whatever I feel like.

And to that ridiculously red idea: 30 PCIe lanes accessible through mere PCIe 3.0 x4 (Saturated by single cheap NVMe drive). Or did this socket increase CPU to chipset connection to PCIe 3.0 x8?
    If not, then AMDs whatever PCIe lanes given MB has behind x570 chipset makes more worthy upgrade as their CPU to chipset connection is now PCIe 4.0 x4. And even then it is not important for most of people.

Wanna do a comparison of Z490 vs old x470?
    Comet Lake w/ Z490 Direct CPU PCIe lanes: 16 for GPU or up to 8x/4x/4x switch.
    Ryzen CPU w/ X470 Direct CPU PCIe lanes: 16 for GPU or up to 8x/8x switch. +4x for NVMe / Extra SATA. + 4x USB 3.1 gen.1 (4x 10gbps = another 4 direct PCIe lanes to CPU)
    Z490 to CPU PCIe 3.0 x4: 30 PCIe lanes choked into 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes.
    x470 to CPU PCIe 3.0 x4: 3+2+2+4 (SATA, PCIe, NVMe/PCIe, USB... links converted to 3.0 even while actual is 2.0 at double width) choked into 4 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

Z490 fake to real bandwidth availability: 7.5 times chipset only. Entire system 2.3 times. Outside of GPU 7.5 times.
    x470 fake to real bandwidth availability: 2.75 times chipset only. Entire system 1.25 times. Outside of GPU 1.6 times.
    - - - -

So let's play a game of AMD's low end APU against Big dog Comet Lake:
    APU has only PCIe 3.0 x8 for dGPU, but has dedicated x4 for NVMe and dedicated x4 for USBs.
    This means that direct connection to CPU itself is same on both platforms.
    Then whatever the chipset provides does not really matter as real bandwidth limitation is almost 3 times as high on intel's side.

You get that on AMD's side you can use 1st slot NVMe without choking your super fast LAN card, right? And that those USBs on back panel are rather unobstructed too.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Venix likes this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    In that post I did not bad mouth or mention Intel at all. As far as boost goes, that's how boost works. Do you think Intel's turbo boost boosts all cores to the max frequency? Neither AMD's or Intel's does an all core boost max. The stock coolers that come with them as many tests have shown, are enough for boost clocks.

But you say AMD has all these problems, but why don't we see any major reports on said problems? If these are horrible problems, why aren't they affecting sales of their CPUs? It's easy, they aren't problems that can't be fixed, or are fixed in a timely manner. People are hyping up these products because they're actually something to hype up for a change. They are forcing competition which is good for both companies. Did you see anyone hyping bulldozer up? No, it was an awful product.

Again. eBay is not a retailer. I know what it is, you don't have to explain it.

But I'm confused as to how a motherboard can make it unbalanced? Unless for some reason I or someone else needs those extra pcie lanes or new pcie standard, the cpu is going to work the same on an a320 with decent vrm as it will an x570.

Evildead666 likes this.
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    We do / are though, now the honey moon is over techtubers and websites are hitting the disenchanted phase.

People still going to buy because they aren't terrible processors, when they work problem free.

10. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Yeah but Intel over clock's, I mentioned the advertised 4.75Mhz(the reason why everyone got so excited). Intel holds its value, AMD fall off a cliff after purchase. PCI-E 4, bah blah blah.
    OH no overclock, HEAT A V core of 1.45 to reach 4Mhz.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup. I've noticed the ones who bring up these problems are typically non-Ryzen owners and/or Intel zealots. If there were serious problems with the platform then we would have heard about them from actual Zen 2 owners.

12. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    OK, jokes not funny anymore.

Learn about MHz and GHz.

edit : I may have been too harsh.
    FYI the Z80 runs at ~3.5 - 4MHz.
    The 9900K runs at ~5GHz.

Keitosha and Aura89 like this.
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If people got excited about your mentioned advertised 4.75Mhz, it'd be because you said 4.75Mhz, and nothing more. You claim your CPU is running at 5Mhz, and claim AMD CPUs can't run at 4.75Mhz. If your CPU is actually running at 5Mhz, i'm not sure your PC would even boot. With DOS? Sure. Windows 95? Yeah probably. But anything after windows 98? Getting less and less likely.

What i truly find amazing, or amusing, maybe both, is this is the 3rd post i believe in this very thread where you have specifically stated Mhz, and it's not like people haven't been commenting on it, yet you continue to do so.

He's been on these forums since 2005, i think it should be expected that someone stated the correct information. If it was one post, i'd say your post was too harsh, but it's not, it's 3 posts in this very thread, let alone who knows how many more in others.

Keitosha likes this.
  14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This is the best thread ever!.....

Who is faster intel or amd?,,,,,,Love it!

Keitosha likes this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Times are good now....enjoy!

oh sh*t's dbl post/ sorry y'all...

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Ryzen 3950 Black Edition 5Ghz when? :D

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The general market does not overclock. So boost clocks from both is more than enough.

As far as holding value, I can literally look on eBay and get an 8 core Xeon for under $100, mainstream markets of course the cheaper products from both aren't going to hold value when AMD and partners are selling them below MSRP.

jaggerwild likes this.
  18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Pencil and paper.

19. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    :p

jaggerwild likes this.
  20. bug

bug Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1070
    the LGA 1151 has been used by Skylake (2015.08) , KabyLake (3q2016) "8gen", and CoffeeLake (2017.10) "9 gen" for different generations
    ? what about cannon lk/skymount (18), cascade lk (2q19), cooper lk, sunny cove (2q19), willow cove (20), ice lk (20), tiger lk (19)
    and now this comet lk (1q2020) "9 gen"?