Ryzen 3rd Gen 100% Gpu fanspeed during POST

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by SlazsH, Aug 26, 2019.

1. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Hello guys!
    I just built a new machine to replace my z97 4790k setup.

I am using a MSI x570 Gaming Plus mobo (Latest BIOS) with a 3700x.
    Everything seems stable and temps are in check, however during POST my GPU(MSI 2080 Trio) fan speed ramps up to 100% for 3-4 seconds or so then calms down right before windows boot.

I've read a couple of reddit posts about this behavior as well, from other users after switching to 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUS.

As soon as they switch their CPUs back to 1st, 2nd Gen - the GPU 100% fan speed issue disappears.

Seen posts like this from B450, x470, x570 with various chipsets and boards from ASrock, MSI, Gigabyte etc.
    From various GPUs as well. And it all comes down to the 3rd Gen CPU.

I am yet to see this being brought up here on guru3d.

Not finding any clarification about this via google so i am trying to get info/feedback from you guys.
    If anyone has any more info about this, please let us know!

Peace!

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Mine did it with my 1600X and now my 3700X it did it on an X370 MSI and my B450 ASRock. I never really thought anything of it.

3. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    It's as if the system does some sort of a hardware self test before POST, blasts the GPU fans 100% during this time then proceeds to POST.
    I wonder if this is the standard behavior of the current AMD chipsets/CPU systems?
    The last AMD system i built was the FX8120 and i don't remember it doing this.
    My previous z87 4770k and z97 4790k builds never did this as well.

Edit: Are you sure you meant the GPU fans are hitting 100% or do you mean the CPU fan?

4. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    every fan in my computer goes full blast

5. Curious does it matter if you play around with anything like say all UEFI / CSM or not at all? If not I wouldn’t worry. I’ve had systems that have done this before as part of the POST test as you alluded to... wouldn’t mind nothing of it.

If it’s only the gpu doing this try to replicate the issue in another system you have with dissimilar hardware. (Or a friend’s) I’ll explain my thought process... (gpu bios etc ... update or swap...)

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It's not a bug, it's a feature!
    Thanks to this, no dust will be found in your computer!
    Self-aware, self cleaning computer boots to do your bidding, master !

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Tuesday, September 6th 2011
    [​IMG]
    MSI Develops Dust Removal Technology for Graphics Cards

Maybe it just works now with all Ryzen 3 CPU' s.

Of late, MSI has been at the forefront of graphics card innovations. The latest is what the company refers to as "Dust Removal Technology". Dust buildup on the surface of heatsink fins can reduce cooling efficiency. Without giving us too many details about its testing, MSI claims that a clean cooler can keep temperatures down by as much as 15°C. Dust Removal Technology uses a simple method of running fans in the opposite rotation, drawing air from the heatsink and pushing it out through its intakes, with 100% fan speed for 30 seconds at system startup can work to reduce dust accumulation in the tough to clean parts of the cooler. Since the "dust removal" happens on each system startup, cleaning happens on a very regular basis. MSI plans to implement the Dust Removal Technology on all its new and upcoming graphics cards.

8. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Interesting... but why wasn't it doing it on my previous system (MSI z97 + 4790k) with the same MSI GPU, if infact this dust removal tech is hardcoded in the GPU?
    The 100% fan blast is annoying to say the least but what i'm really concerned about is the strain it puts on the GPU fans.

9. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Tried setting it to UEFI only, checked all the BIOS settings as well. The same GPU was not showing the pre-POST behavior on my previous MSI z97 board.
    Using the same PSU as well.

10. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have the same thing.I first notice this behavior when watching youtube videos before Ryzen 3 was released.
    I have no explination why it is doing it on Ryzen 3 ,but it does not do it on Ryzen+ 2000 series.
    So conclusion as @anticupidon said it is a feature now that works on Ryzen 3 only.

For me it is ok to have a couple seconds of GPU start before drivers are loaded and it really does not hurt anything ,unless you start your computer in the middle of the night wake up the wife and kids.

11. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    You mean this behavior was happening in the Youtube videos reviewing ryzen3 at that time, and those boards were MSI?

So this could be like an exclusive MSI only thing?

12. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    The fans go wild for a few seconds on my ASRock board too.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Now, the XFX RX 480 had the same behaviour, and the computer had an i5 6600K and running Linux.
    Didn't bothered too much, just at boot time, fans went berserk for a couple of seconds.
    @gerardfraser, maybe this feature is now implemented on more AMD GPUs?

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I have the exact same thing during startup, didn't happen with first gen Ryzen, started happening now.

Glad to know not the only one. It's a feature I suppose but some clarification would be nice.

Btw MSI GPU here as well... so a feature implemented in 2011 has only now become functional? Lols.

Though the fans run full speed for a few seconds only, thankfully.

15. SlazsH

SlazsH Guest

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Trio X
    Welcome to the club i guess.
    What motherboard and which AGESA version is it running on?

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ASRock X370 Killer SLI and AGESA1003ABB. Was the same with AGESA1001 though, immediately after switching to 3800X.

BIOS with AGESA1001 (Combo AM4) did not have this feature with my previous 1600 CPU.

17. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Mine did happen on my 1600x on my current ASRock and MSI boards.

18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    It affects all Ryzen 3 CPU's on any motherboard as far as I am aware,it is not just related to MSI.
    The videos I watched before release ,had the GPU fan ramping up at boost before drivers were loaded on every motherboard setup.
    I knew this would be the case before I bought my Ryzen 3600X.
    For me it is not a problem or anything the matter with the setup.

19. liviut

liviut Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080/8GB
    For me on my x370 pro carbon it does the same with 3600 as did with 1600x when it posts good lets say all vents ramp up a bit if it fails to post the vents remain at the same speed.

20. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Yeah my X370 did that and my B450 does too.