Intel Comet Lake for Desktop has 1200 pins - to require a new motherboard

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 23, 2019.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    If PCI 4.0 requires a fan, does that mean Intel will bring out the chiller this time around for 5.0?

sykozis and HandR like this.
  2. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    Wonder if these procs pricing will scale with how may PCI-E lanes they have like current 2066...

3. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Overlooking the clearly malicious tone of the author it is good news. Finally Intel is moving because in the actual scenario if intel will not make a move soon then you will buy an AMD top cpu with the price that you pay for a used car - oh wait on ebay it is already 850 Euro (3900x) and a used car not so good is around that amount of money. Interesting how on every site but here people are talking about the high price for this premium cpu because of amd problems that are similar with intel volume shortage at i 9900k launch.
    So good for them let's see how the new cpu's will be comparing to amd - and now thunders: intel shill, blue boy, etc

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Nice. A brand new socket, ushering in a new era LGA 1200 CPUs which are incompatible LGA 1200 boards. :p

5. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Shocking news. Yesterday i would have thought aliens landing on earth today would have been more probable than Intel announcing the requirement a new socket for their new cpus today. I guess you can't always be right ... /s

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    How can it be 850 euro it's sold 678.99$ in canada???

https://www.mikescomputershop.com/product/10477688

678.99$ for a high end cpu is expensive but i've seen far worse. At least it's not over 1 grand ...

Only a peasant would settle for PCI-E 7. Real PC gamers ask for PCI-E 8.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Considering the 3900x retails for 529.99 euros, I highly doubt this is case.

But what problems are there from either side? And what communities are talking about the opposite being true? PCMR, Anandtech, Tom's, even Linus are all pretty much saying what the general guru3d community is saying about Zen 2, Coffee Lake, and Comet Lake requiring a new socket.

schmidtbag likes this.
  8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I've been feeling all the time AMD made a mistake with the chipset, making it eat so much power that it needs the fan. I doubt Intel would make a similar mistake. I very much expect the next AMD gen not to have a fan. But then again, it's not my field of expertise.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I have to Change my direction here, as I never even looked at the price of a new socket board(as Intel always makes you buy). And I must say in that perspective I do feel all the AMD people voices in my ear as buying a $500 mother board every few years is not cool!!!!!
    Only argument I would make is this: I have a $500 mother board and a socket 2011 3930K, still going. And with my custom loop, I can run it at almost 5Mhz with 16GB except for USB 3.0 and a few non essential stuff I could still use this board, compared to almost all of the Ryzen Fall CPU'S(opps!)(almost being the server CPU'S no one here will be buying) my board n chip are still relevant(except for watts at the wall and power consumption).
    No offense but Linus and Toms lolz! o_Oo_Oo_O

airbud7 likes this.
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You realize PCI-Express 4.0 was announced in 2011, had test machines working in 2016, and was officially released in 2017, but had no consumer parts till 2019, right?

To expect PCI-Express 5.0 on consumer parts in 2019, just doesn't make sense. Not impossible for 2020, but likely will be released 2021-22 to consumers.

And i very much doubt that Intel will be adding PCI-Express 4.0 on the comet lake chipsets, they haven't added it for their mobile market, which are more advanced then their desktop market, currently.

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    The usual MO for Intel.....new socket type for a spanking new set of CPU's! Well done, Intel! :p:D

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    How are you getting direct benefits? Looking at the guru3d review of the Corsair MP600, all the real world tests were on par with PCIe 3.0 drives. The small file read speed is almost identical between 3.0 and 4.0 drives which is what matters for game load times and the test results show just that. I guess if you like running synthetic benchmarks, the new 4.0 drives are the way to go.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Dayum! 5MHz !!!!
    You just walked all over the Z80 in my Amstrad :)

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    pcie 5 in 2019 is not happening at all people explained why a lot of times already ,

But please explain me your logic ... So you justify the absence of pcie4 because is already outdated ...by that logic pcie3 is even more outdated so that's the one to use ? i do not follow the logic

15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    jaggerwild got that thing cranked up I tell ya!.....:p

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Considering it took first pci-e 4.0 motherboards 2 years from finalized to come out. I would expect 5.0 earliest in 2021.

17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    My friend once bought a car for 150€ or so, most of that was to change the register. He ran it for a full year before buying his current car.
    Year, Odometer, Condition, Rarity, Reliability, are all factors that influence the pricing.
    I've seen people asking 3K for cars with no engine, wile I bought mine for 2.75K in acceptable running condition.
    Economics.

18. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I was gonna sell it but the guy hasn't mentioned it in a while, it hard to part with the good stuff.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Scratch disk for video editing - same reason I have the 12 core. I barely play video games anymore.

HandR and Evildead666 like this.
  20. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    My Neighbour sold his Nissan Bluebird for 30€ :)
    Running etc.

On Topic :
    Not surprised about the new Motherboard requirement.
    Its become normal for Intel.
    With the extra Pins, probably devoted to the Power budget.

Silva likes this.