HP Omen X 27 Gaming Monitor is: 27" TN, 2560 x 1440, 240 Hz, FreeSync 2 and HDR

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. stickem

stickem Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4G
    This monitor would pair better with GSYNC.......these vendors got to stop with this FreeSync crap........%80 of gamers use Nvidia products and not all FreeSync products are Gsync compatible. People would pay for 1440p 240hz 1ms GSync..........these vendors got to work something out with Nvidia.

3. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    maybe for you ! but the price will go up about 200 euros with a Gsync module --- Some of us are happy with Freesync 2

4. stickem

stickem Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4G
    True, I know money is a factor for a majority of people. The issue I take with this is that AMD doesn't have a graphics solution (besides the 5700XT) that is really capable of driving really high frame rates at 1440p to better take advantage of the 240hz where areas Nvidia does (2070, 2080, 2080 Ti, and the SUPER varients). I really hate that Nvidia charges so much for the GSync module too but as for me I am willing to pay for it.

5. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Does adaptive sync, any variant, even make sense for 240Hz gaming?

Honest question, because I don't know.

I would assume that the point of high refresh gaming is to reduce lag and as such you wouldn't use adaptive sync. Yes, FreeSync and GSync are miles better than VSync in this regard but they still introduce more lag than running without sync.
    I could obviously be wrong about the point of high-refresh gaming, as I have no relationship to that or the competitive scene overall, but if the point is less lag then the added cost of a GSync module wouldn't make sense for the product.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is nothing wrong with Freesync/Gsync Compatibility - it opens up the monitor to both vendors and when implemented properly works fine. In fact I've read multiple people say the Gsync Compatibility monitors run better than previous Gsync monitors they've owned.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  7. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Yes, that's why G-Sync monitors are much more expensive. :D And most monitors are using Freesync because people opt for the cheaper monitors.

1. If there is one GPU that can handle 1440P high frame rate, why would you need more?
    2. Willing to pay for what? What does G-Sync give to you what Freesync can't and worth $100+?

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    a monitor with a 40mm fan

9. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Bold claim - FreeSync crap........%80 of gamers use Nvidia products - can you show me anything to back that up?

10. stickem

stickem Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 4G
    ladcrooks likes this.

11. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY - I WILL HONOUR THAT ;)

But do not forget the millions of computers out there that have cards but do not play games or only now and then, or do not use steam. Funny thing is all my mates have radeons :oops:

Have a like on me :p

12. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Just looked at that ad above the ' Brennan ' looks a good bit of kit :cool:

13. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to spend a premium to get GS if FS performs the same. If there was a FS version of my monitor for less I would've bought that.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    G-Sync and Free-Sync do not perform the same.

That being said i don't hold the sentiment the guy you quoted does, i wish there were variants of both, so we had a choice, rather then be forced to go with one or the other.

I've heard and have witness and experienced myself the exact opposite, but ofcourse, it'll depend on the exact monitors in question.

15. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    There are monitors with the choice. Take the LG 34gk950f and LG 34gk950g. These monitors are basically the same, one with a gsync module, one with freesync support, and the gsync one comes with a variety of limitations the freesync one doesn't have such as 120hz instead of 144hz, no backlight blur reduction, no HDR, its a little less bright, the contrast is a little worse, no HDMI 2.0 support, and no Displayport 1.4.

So, same panel, same monitor, but its overall significantly worse. The only real advantage it has is lower input lag, 10ms vs 1ms. Overall, I can't say which problems are limitations of gsync itself and which are cost savings to try to fit the gsync module into the monitor but the gist of the point is: Gsync isn't necessarily some hallmark of quality and in fact can have its own limitations.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Yes, AdaptiveSync makes sense on 240Hz screen. It makes difference in comparison to VSync.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If they don't have the same features then they aren't the same. There's no reason the gsync one wouldn't be able to do 144hz, among everything else you stated.

18. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    Yeah you're right, it's not clearly not the same. One has gsync which seems to, either directly or indirectly, be limiting the performance of the monitor in various ways. It's the same panel, same manufacturer.