WoW Classic official announcement!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Solfaur, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    The Blizz has posted that they expect 10k+ quotes on launch on Herod (US) and Shazzrah (EU). That's quite crazy, but I do agree that probably a lot of people will leave after the initial hype. Therefore I'm kinda wondering about the server, should I just suck it up and go for full server with large ques at launch but full server later down the line, or try something more reasonable ? Golemagg (EU) or Gehenas (EU) are probably going to be fine too. Or maybe just screw the whole PVP thing and go for PVE realm ? Decisions, decisions.

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    They'll open free server transfers if queues get insane, but you're gonna have to deal with them for a good while. Don't expect any transfers shortly after launch. Firemaw is the latest pvp server and there's already large groups planning to go there over Shazzrah.
    Btw, the Classic devs did a lengthy AMA last night, summarized here.

Backstabak likes this.
  3. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    If private servers are an indicator, most people will have quit by the time AQ comes out (which is probably ~1 year from now). As for me, no idea. I literally have no other new game to play for the foreseeable future (until cyberpunk 2077), so it will be this (+maybe some retail BFA, if I feel like it) and BFV pretty much for the rest of the year...

4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I have 4 days free at launch, and then I asked the next 6 days off just for this.

Watch me destroy my social life all over again.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I can not do WOW again,15 hour gaming days to level up.I just turned on WOW and nothing ,no good vibes,did not like the graphics.I finally kicked the WOW crack habit and can have back a couple hundred GB's on my hard drive.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    15 hours to level up? you mean to max in vanilla right? :p

last time i leveled in old school wow it took me less than a weekend to hit 60 and having to hump 5 mans in ironforge to get my blues and having warriors rolling on my pally gear a good chunk of the time.....because hey they can wear healing plate technically same way pally can technically wear tanky or dps plate technically and therefore roll on that staff.

farming blue sets took the longest long days weeks on end trying to get groups groups falling apart bad groups, bad luck, bad rolls, took me near 2 months of 5 mans to get what was it the valor set? the hat and the gloves would not drop.

same for the t1 ony set i never got the hat to drop for 2 months plus of near weekely runs. the legs took a good whole also.

But i got a ground level raiding guild that was solid and fun to raid with so soon as i was near flush in blue i was doing ony/mc then bwl then aq40. so i got lucky raid wise. nm i was a pugger that became a class officer in short order. they made it a lot harder to quit the game when i did, but outside them the rest felt like a job logging in.

7. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, checked it out more and I'll probably go for Gehenas or Firemaw as a mage. Now only to settle on faction. I played horde in vanilla, but switched to alliance for tbc and wotlk. I must say I absolutely hate the horde style of tents with spikes, but they do have cool UD and quite fine UC. On the other hand alliance has nice castles, better looking models (at least for human and elves), more quests and the best city ever - Ironforge. So I'm really on the fence between human and UD.

But the important thing is that I'm actually hyped for it. I can't remember the last time I was hyped for something new from wow.

Amaze likes this.
  8. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Yeah for me the hype has settled down and now I'm just planning to try it out and if it sticks it sticks and if it don't it don't. I'll be rolling a normal server and flag myself now and then for some fun. I just don't have the time to level on a pvp server.

Solfaur likes this.
  9. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You're not getting 60 in a weekend in Classic. The world record to 60 in Vanilla is over 4 days /played. That is playing the best leveling class and being insanely efficient.

Anyone going to play on Shazzrah? I know I am.

Also, about free realm transfers, that will be a no from Blizzard. They already suggested players make characters on realms that aren't over populated. They'll start with layering and will be aiming to remove layering as soon as possible. Server queues will be a thing early on but I'd rather be in a queue from time to time and have a full server once things settle than have no queues to start with and end up on a dead realm.

10. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    From the Blues:

Based on name reservations so far, the Shazzrah realm is looking to be massively overpopulated. If all existing players on this server remain there, login queues in excess of 10,000 players are a certainty, and possibly much higher than that.

Good Luck! :p

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No need for luck. Better than playing on a dead realm

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    What a lovely video. I'm glad that some of the guys (Tigole especially) got over themselves and finally saw what the "vanilla crowd" has been "crying" about for all these years.

"The main character of WoW (Classic) is the world" - probably the best quote that sums it all up I've heard so far. Doesn't matter if you're casual or hardcore tryhard, pvp-er or raider, classic/vanilla has something to offer for everybody, and it's all around the immersion the world offers, the sense of community, of danger, of accomplishment etc. It's a true MMO, probably the last and best of its kind we'll have. So I sincerely hope that Blizzard will support it with the respect it deserves.

Backstabak and Amaze like this.
  13. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    From last Q&A they have said that they consider implementing transfers further down the line, so if you end up on empty server they'll either merge it or you'll be able to move at least. Going now to completely full server with 10k+ ques and waiting potentially hours doesn't make much sense to me. I imagine that there will be more people coming on launch as well, after all to reserve a character you need to have active subscription and there will be many people who just wait on classic. I'd say that even Firemaw, which is now on medium pop, will be high or full on launch and will have ques and Blizz will add additional realm, as they have said the are ready to do.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Well, I do have 2 characters made on Shazzrah and 1 on Firemaw. Found a guild on Shazzrah too, seems to be a nice bunch of people. That being said, if Shazzrah is impossible on launch, I'll just play on Firemaw and either pay for a transfer later, or use the free one, if Blizz offer one.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Would be dumb not to implent transfers.

Couple of mouse clicks behind the scene.

Easy $25 cash grab.

16. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    2 of the Classic devs are guests on this podcast. Omar has a sort of legendary status in the Classic community. He is the one who locked himself away for weeks and cracked the code that enabled them to use the old data in the Legion client., basically he got the ball rolling.

Solfaur likes this.
  17. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  18. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, if you have a guild ready then the choice of realm is done. Hope you will not have to suffer too much. Last time I checked even that Firemaw is now high pop, so there will have to be other realms.

They have explicitly said that they want to make an "authentic experience", so I doubt there will be just unlimited transfers. It seems that at least for now the devs do listen to the community. E.g. they have made it impossible for LFG addon to work, so you really need to get group the hard way. It could change of course, as it's a lot of money, but I think that Blizz is more interested in classic as a way to promote retail version. I'd guess they believe that people who come explicitly for classic will eventually try and some will stay for retail, as it is on the same subscription.

19. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Firemaw is now "Full".

The amount of people throwing subs at this is incredible. This could be a game changer for Blizzard. If subs go high, like, I have no idea how many people will have subbed for at least the release, but if they reach 10m subs at launch, this will be a big indicator of what people want.

This will hopefully show Blizzard that all they have to do is give people what they want. I'm talking about Diablo. F*ck the mobile nonsence, give us a proper Diablo game and you'll have a success on your hands.

Back on topic, I have found a guild on Firemaw too, but honestly, if the queues on Firemaw are loooooong, I'll just roll on a med/high pop server and look for a guild there. There's always going to be realm transfers anyway so it's not an issue.

Solfaur likes this.