Review: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG STRIX

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2019.

1. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    The 2k capable gpus are significantly more expensive than what i paid for the monitor ...

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If you're paying more than $200-300 for a monitor, you're overpaying. Hard to say that about a GPU.....

3. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    What? Most people don't even know what their framerate or settings are at in a game.

4. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    This is something only someone who never owned a good monitor would say.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And what exactly do you consider a "good monitor"? I need a good laugh today....

6. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    That was not my point really though. Basically i'm just saying my monitor is not high end. A high end monitor would be a 30 inch 144Hz 4K IPS HDR monitor. Mine can be found on sale at 350$ US (around 450-500$ CAD) without too much trouble. I would expect to be able to get good performance on it with a gpu not costing 600$ US + taxes. I mean a 3 fans 2070 Super in Canada is around 800-850$ after taxes ... If the price of the 5700XT is as advertised by Asus and PowerColor then the price of a 5700XT after taxes will be around 600-650. That a 200$ price difference for not much of an upgrade in fps. I'll wait for drivers to mature a bit but at this point my decision has been made.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That's pretty rad, man.

I mean ripping CD in the middle of STRIX review :D

Did someone provoke you, or is that normal for you?

AlmondMan, MonstroMart and alanm like this.
  8. Zippozippo

Zippozippo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    This is bad,2070 Super it is then..

9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, sounds like it.

Idk man - I think most of the newer HDR/FALD zone monitors are overpriced but going from my $300ish BenQ to my $700ish Acer G-Sync 27/144hz/1440p back in the day was a pretty massive upgrade. I think you can get these specs closer to $500 now.

AlmondMan likes this.
  10. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I bought my MSI MAG27CQ on sale for 480$ CAD. Probably not as good as yours but still very nice monitor.

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You need a good laugh? Oh one that has a decent refresh rate, very high levels of color correctness, 10 bit support, good contrast and decently fast response time and a decently high resolution compared to size, to get as good an image quality as you can get.
    But of course, you are now going to come back and say "a good monitor is a 120hz CRT" or something similar, like "the best monitor is a TN panel with 1280x1024 for CS 1.6". Are you not?

A decent monitor is any other monitor that shows an image that you can see clearly, but which does not need to tick even one of the above.

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Bad is kind of a strange denominator to use against a product that rivals everything the primary competitor has on market.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    And that response provided sufficient laugh for me.....

I don't play CS, so I have no idea what would be the best monitor for it. I had a 75hz CRT in the past. It's color looked washed out for the 90 minutes it worked before filling the room with smoke.

I currently use a ViewSonic 27" FreeSync monitor that claims 1ms response. 1080P resolution....and TN panel. My other monitor was very highly recommended "back in the day" by a local photographer.

Conveniently, the IPS display I have sitting in the other room originally retailed for $380... I paid $130 on clearance. It claims 10bit color support, 60hz, 5ms response, 1080P, 21" screen. Amazing the claims a manufacturer will print on a box. However, it was highly recommended by a local photographer so I grabbed it when it went on clearance at a local store. It's about 6 years old now. I don't care about high refresh rates and I can't tell the difference between 1ms response and 5ms response....so neither of them matter to me in the least. I sit within 3ft of my monitor, so I don't need anything larger than 27". I'm perfectly fine with 1080P at 27" and within 3ft, so that's not an issue either. So, it would seem what is considered a "good monitor" is purely subjective. So, by YOUR standards, no.... I haven't used a "good monitor", but YOUR standards are just that. Your's. Nobody else's. Simply your subjective opinion.

14. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Hehe, nonsense. You can objectively measure quality.

A 1080p 27" TN panel is not good. It's just something that you can use to view an image on, ergo it's passable or decent. Good is not very subjective in a world where you can measure everything. "Good enough" is something completely different to high quality.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I also have a 22" monitor with a TFT panel.....

And off you go trying to push your opinion as fact......

16. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Off you go trying to push YOUR opinion as fact. You should run for President of the US with that rhetoric. There's actual fact, and then there's opinions. You are posting an opinion, I am posting a fact. Stop your trolling, it's not fun and it's not useful for anyone.

Just look at the site you're posting on. A site where products like monitors, graphics cards and similar devices are reviewed and rated based on their quality, measured in an objective manner. And then you post that "it's an opinion" whether something is quality or not - what even kind of disjointed madman logic is that... Good grief we really are living in Trump's world.

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    @AlmondMan Please let's not bring politics into this.

As for both of you, let's be nice please.

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Technically speaking, you have made statement turned inside out.
    27'' TN panel has disadvantage of bigger pixels. But that does not make it "not good".
    And statement "It's just something that you can use to view an image on" is downright talking about IPS-like screens which crush TN in static imagery.
    But TNs win by far in motion and high refresh rates.

So, seeing ghosts on IPS is your definition of bad. Not seeing ghosts TN is your definition of good. (Like it or not.)
    - - - -
    So while you are right that quality can be measured, definition of quality is situational and therefore subjective.
    Quality metal is one that is hard and flexes back to original position, but breaks under heavier strain? Or one that does not break under strain, but bends permanently?
    What about twisting, pulling, ... which resilience means quality? Apparently, it depends on use of given metal.

There are some 240Hz IPS screens now, I wonder how I would like them side by side to my 240Hz TN in gaming above 140fps. Or even 200+fps.

19. cvearl

cvearl Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix RX 580
    In Canada the 5700's are priced below 2060 Super and the majority of 5700XT are priced the same as 2060 Super. 5700XT is faster than the 2060 Super in almost everything. As for this card the ROG Strix... I bought it on Black Friday for $569 CDN. Normally it is $629. Most other models are $500 CDN. 2070 Supers are all $700 up here. Had it not been for Black Friday I would have kept the Gigabyte Gaming OC I exchanged it for. It was $529. I have played with 4 versions of this card and Asus is the fastest clock and quietest I have tried. Averages 1975 MHz when gaming. Cant hear it over my H100i V2 CPU cooler. Total system draw while gaming about 330 watt. That's on an R5 3600 with 16GB DDR4 3200 RAM and and X470 motherboard. I have been very happy but I know there is some driver stability issues from time to time. Just like the RX480 launch it will be worked out soon.

C.