Rumor: Samsung working on OLED TVs merged with Quantum dots

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Why would they make QD-OLED when they're already working on Micro LED?

3. Error8

Error8 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2080 Supe
    Probably because micro LED is so expensive to make that it will never reach the consumer market.

4. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    for now
    till the tech mature and mass-producing become easy and everyone making it like in few years, it will be cheap like rest of tech we using now
    if it stay expensive, then it wont get nowhere, like plasma-display, it went eol replaced with things that "reasonable" to produce

Brasky likes this.

5. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Because it will be a decade before a microled display exists that you can afford. They literally dont even know how to manufacture display sized panels. All they've been able to do is make smaller ones and piece them together. They had one at CES and the only thing anyone talked about was the gaps that could be seen because of it.

We'll see it in phone/VR sized panels in the near-term, but you won't own an mLED monitor or TV for years and years.

6. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Samsung hasn't been able to figure out how to keep the red and green QD's from leaking blue light. They have had to resort to using a color filter, which will pretty much nullify any advantage they would have had. Judging by the color volume of this years QLED sets, i wouldn't be surprised to see these show up with a lower color volume than LG's panels.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    So won't fix burn or life span of OLEDs. Its understandable why Samsung wants to push OLED as they have invested a lot of money into it. But OLED is not the future and you are better to buy a comparable LED that isn't cheap and looks just as close to OLED without the burn in issues. Or wait for micro led tech.

8. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    This isn't a thing. There's a reason that OLED sweeps the television shootouts every single year. It's never even a competition.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    OLEDs 1st came out over 20 years ago. Useful only for mp3 players. But there nobody had to care about burn-in, those lovely bright and saturated displays went dim in few years.

While color TFTs from that time are still working today.

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @ttnuagmada
    put it in a bright room and see how much of that "best rated" picture you can see on an oled vs lcd.
    or the fact i have ppl with sub 2y old LG (oleds) with burn in, while the customers that bought the A1E dont.

we had both brands side by side running for one year (9-9 every day), and the LG showed burn in on the LG (shown after each vid),
    when the sony didn't (even the HDR/4K logo displayed throughout all videos).
    having the patent vs being the one that came up with the tech is completely different...

11. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    PQ goes out the window almost entirely in a bright room. Anything better than an edgelit LCD in that environment is a complete waste. Besides, an OLED is still going to be superior to 90% of LCD sets in this scenario anyway. This idea that OLEDs are "dim" is one of the biggest loads of BS.

I don't even know what point it is you're trying to make. Burn in is a thing, but it's a very uncommon thing. People treat it like the boogieman just like they did with plasma, and it was insanely overblown then too. Running the same thing on an OLED for 12 hours per day is how you get burn-in. Typical usage scenarios are not.

Aside from all of that, you do realize that the Sony OLEDs have the exact same panels as the LG's right?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are pretty dim man. I agree with you that in a bright room the quality goes out the window regardless but it's definitely worse on OLED.

13. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Oh sure, some of the higher end LCD's get a lot brighter, but the OLEDs still get plenty bright in any scenario save for very high APL like hockey or something. Typical movie/TV APL will be plenty bright. Calling them dim is just silly however.

I will say though, if you're watching TV in a bright room, you're wasting money on anything better than a mid-range LCD set.

14. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    If you put a OLED and a LED in a normal light room, the LED will blow the OLED out of the water.

15. ttnuagmada

ttnuagmada Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Strix
    Except for pretty much any scenario that doesn't involve direct sunlight.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol no. I went from a 55" Samsung LED to a 65" LG OLED - my living room is pretty bright in the morning when the sun is coming up, basically shines directly into the room and the LCD definitely was way better there but in normal light (sun not directly on TV) and obviously darkness the OLED is better.

17. Aekold

Aekold Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080
    I don't believe this is the case, but I might be mistaken. I'm pretty sure they just hold the rights to White OLED tech (using white OLEDs with color filters). They got that from Kodak years ago.

Samsung dropped out of the business years ago, due to the cost of producing true RGB OLED TVs (versus the White OLED w/ color filter method LG uses). OLED inkjet printing tech has been coming out, so maybe that's how Samsung is getting back in the game. LG has already hopped on that bandwagon, so if Samsung does, that would make for some good competition and low prices. :)

Pretty much this. I've had several OLED devices (phones, tablets, two LG OLED TVs, etc.) and never had an issue. It depends on usage and the backlight settings for sure.

And yes, Sony purchases their OLED panels from LG. I do suspect that they use their own technology for reducing IR and preventing burn-in, though. I love my LG OLEDs, but Sony is ahead of LG in this aspect, as well in image processing in general.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  18. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Well of course it works okay on phones, most people don't leave their phone screens on for hours. The issue is TV screens stay on longer. That is what causes burn in.

I will never buy OLED. Even though I love perfect blacks.

19. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Do you mean like flash memory would always be so expensive and internet connection so slow that disc would always be the preferred media in consoles?

20. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Back in June this year i decided to pull the trigger on a LG 55" SM9000 Nanocell TV. It was between that and a 55" C9 OLED. I went for the Nanocell because i didn't want to have to worry about screen burn-in since i would be using it as a full time PC monitor. I also noticed that the Nanocell had a semi-gloss screen whereas the OLED had a full gloss screen. The OLED panel was literally reflecting everything. You just can't call it 'true black' when the entire screen turns into a mirror during dark scenes. Plus the Nanocell's colours are very similar to the OLED's panel with regards to vibrancy. And since both TV's had four HDMI 2.1 sockets on them, i decided to go with the Nanocell.

Just need to get my hands on a Displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter so i can do 4k 120hz. I'm currently using a RTX 2080Ti but that only has a HDMI 2.0 socket on it which is capped at 4k 60hz or 1440p 120hz. So whichever comes out first - a DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter or an Ampere GPU with a native HDMI 2.1 socket is what's needed to finish the build.