Is NVIDIA working on a Geforce RTX 2080 Ti Super after all?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Well. You have and product. And you can either sell it for $1400 or $2500 hundred at your desire as long as there is demand which there is.
    How weak minded someone must be if he sells it for $1400 only?

And yes, I had to rewrite this post twice just to avoid infraction points.
    - - - -
    Full TU102 that is power efficient goes into Quadro, ends up with base clock of 1440MHz with 260W TDP. ($6300)
    Full TU102 that is not power efficient goes into Titan RTX that has base clock of 1350MHz and TDP 280W. ($2500)
    Full TU102 sold for PR reasons as gaming with whatever parameters for base clock and TDP goes for... $1400.
    Definitely an option:
    MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti SEA HAWK EK X
    GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080Ti AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE WB

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i just don't see this being anything except a Tesla card.

3. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Except it clearly says Geforce. If you look at the change log history, Tesla cards have always stated "Tesla".

nVidia just recently started selling the RTX2080 Super, and they would have been complete idiots to admit there was a 2080 Ti super on the way since high end buyers would have held onto their money and waited for it. You always hold onto your cards till you absolutely must show them.

As for "expecting AMD"... i highly doubt it. It takes a lot longer than just a few months to go from zero plans of a 2080 Ti Super to having a ready for retail card available.

AMD's market share is hovering around 18% which is actually down from where it was 6 months ago. I don't think nVidia is worried to the point that they're going to so something so reactionary as you describe.

4. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Titan RTX is not a gaming GPU. It doesn't even mention gaming once on its page.
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-rtx/

Over a year ago, nVIdia separated off Titan into its own category of GPU. Which is why it no longer is called "Geforce Titan" like all previous titans were.

And if this is indeed a Geforce RTX 2080 Ti Super, expect the price to start at $999. Blame retailers and custom cards for anything above that price.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats the problem. They are at the top but most of us cant afford one.

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No it doesnt, its not a new arch. Just better bins, unlocked cores and faster vram. As with the other supers. All they have to do is hold back and time it with whatever AMD may be about to release.

Its not 'reactionary', its well planned since before the RTX cards even. We know that bins improve over time. And the extra unused cores ready to be utilized at the right time just shows how they've been prepared for it. All that remains is proper timing, ie, like we've seen with the other supers just days before the 5700, 5700xt.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    These updated "super" cards are a bit of a joke. They're just taking advantage of better yields and using the upper tier card to update the lower ones.
    Not changing the price, or creating more value in any way, as there is no significant performance jump.
    The 2080TiS price will be also a joke.
    I hope, for all that is sacred, that Navi can at least kill the 2080S, this is absolutely insane pricing.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Except it doesn't, AIDA's guys don't get their hands on product id's sooner than W1zzard himself does, Fiery has probably seen something pop up in a device list update and jumped the gun.

T10-8 fits the part scheme a Tesla name, and doesn't in any way shape or form sit with how nvidia does the TU102-x00 numbering in any way.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/nvidia-tu102.g813 < scroll down, this is how 102 Geforce gpu's are listed, not with Tesla product codes.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    2080ti super = full tu-102 384bit and 12gb vram with a original 2080ti pricing(1200$).

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Now that we did run full circle.
    Did not take 6 posts to get point across, did it? Good job, it did not make it across!
    Those chips are same, there is nothing extra locked in silicon on full TU102. Only difference is VRAM, that does not make $1100 price difference on manufacturing side. It only makes big premium on profit side.

Hard to believe that you still does not get it. So, ask yourself question: As nVidia has full TU102/104/... whatever, why would they sell it at much lower price point as gaming chip if there was good demand for high price point Pro/Server cards?

11. @man_daddio

@man_daddio Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti 11Gb
    As long as tech news sites keep spitting out terms like 5800 or 5900 there will be sites spitting out things about Nvidia and some possible new card being made.
    People talking about the 5800 XT is kind of stupid right now anyway imo. That card isn't going to be as cheap as everyone wants. And people that want 2080s performance or even 2080TI performance are not going to wait until 2020 just like they weren't going to wait when the 2080 TI came out last year.
    Can I reiterate to everyone the rtx2080ti came out last year?...AMD had nothing close.
    Waiting is futile. You will be assimilated.

12. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s probably going to be the same price as the regular 2080Ti because it should be a direct replacement by the super version. Can´t wait for the next Guru contest for the chance of wining a 2080Ti Super!... Becuase this is the only way i can get my hands on one of those...:p

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They're competing against themselves. If Nvidia is trying to one-up AMD, they should wait this time around, rather than prematurely release something that isn't as competitive as they thought (like with the other Supers).

If it ends up being cheaper than the 2080 Ti like other Supers with the other GPUs they... superseded (seriously, that pun wasn't intended), I'm sure it will sell better than you might think. A lot of people are willing to spend a lot more than a product is really worth so long as they get the best product.

Then why else are they making this? What compelling reason do you have to doubt AMD? The 5700XT is a solid competitor with the RTX 2070. If AMD's RDNA architecture scales up well (which we don't yet know), I think it's fair to say the 5800 will compete with the RTX 2080. Unlike Nvidia, AMD tends to go up to 900, so, the 5900 (XT) will most likely compete against the 2080 Ti. Seeing as Nvidia most likely has insider information, they're probably aware that AMD can top the charts in some cases, so, I think it's reasonable Nvidia just wants to change the definition of what AMD is actually competing against, like they did with the other Supers (and the 1070 Ti).
    Market share isn't what Nvidia is worried about, it's brand image. They don't care if AMD's sales numbers go up, they just want to have the fastest product and appease shareholders. Same goes for Intel - the 7980XE existed solely to spite AMD. It was basically to say "you will not have the fastest product in this segment" even though it was woefully overpriced and power-hungry.

Whatever this GPU is, I'm quite positive the only reason it exists is to spite AMD.

carnivore and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nvidia only competes against themselves, they've never even considered AMD/ATI to be their competition and all goals they set are for self improvement, not to beat the opponent.

15. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    If true .. All those that forked out for that ridiculous priced Ti and now this.. maybe

16. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    Definetely not an optition i checked dat Lightning few days ago 1600€+ what a joke.
    They can be option only when 750-800€ price ratio.

17. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Don't forget the kidney :p

You want to bet?

People with a lot of money (or people willing to spend every bit of money they have on computer gaming). I mean those cards are fine and i'm glad nVidia is making them cause there's people with enough money to buy them and buy super big monitor and it's fine. Of course it would be cool if the 2070 Super was not that expensive too ...

Well the 5700XT is very close to a 2070 Super so you got to assume the 5800XT will be very close to a 2080 Super which itself is very close to a 2080Ti. You got to assume it will cost less than a 2080Ti or even 2080 Super too because of the lack of ray tracing dedicated hardware. I know some guys here think AMD can't do better than 5700XT and that's the best they can do for the rest of eternity but i think it's very foolish to think so and i doubt nVidia is that foolish.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Hope it's out by December so that HH includes it in the X-mas special :)

19. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    I didnt say rtx titan is gaming gpu but some guys use this also for gaming cause of better performance for ray tracing.

20. rm082e

rm082e Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 - QHD@165hz
    Uh, have you looked at the 2070 to 2070 Super? They dropped the price and increased performance by nearly a full step up in product line. That seems like "more value".

Granted, it's still over priced relative to the historical pace we've seen from Nvidia, but this is what happens when you have no competition. You can get away with charging more and delivering less. AMD may give them some competition with the 5700 cards, but they've got to get enough volume out there to matter...

airbud7 likes this.