Review: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2019.

1. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    if it's any help to Corsair peripherals users
    I found recently why iCue used 8-9% of my cpu making the cpu run at max clock non-stop
    go in settings and uncheck "enable SDK" it's what using the cpu so much, after disabling it iCue only uses 1.0-1.2% of my cpu allowing it to downclock to 800Mhz (intel)

Corsair is not the only one with that kind of thing as G.Skill trident z lightning rgb control app does the same if you activate the "music mode" (7% cpu usage)

bballfreak6 likes this.
  2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    what do you mean ? are you still thinking in the "good old overclocking" manner ? that's not how things work anymore, not for AMD nor nvidia 3700x are inferior cpus that didn't pass the same quality tests at the factory there's no magical overclock that will somehow make them as good as a 3800x
    DerBauer says it Steve from GN says it Jayz2cents says it and most have made videos proving it, that's how it is you buy a cpu or gpu that already runs near it's max and the only way to have more is to go below 0°C
    if that's really what you meant the you could somehow make it as good as a 3800x then I'm not surprised again I have a comparison with cars as people do not want to admit times have changed and still continue to put bigger turbos, E85 and stuff and 100% end up blowing their stock engine, the era of "overclocking" just like SLI is over, it's dead, companies have learned to optimize their sales, maximize their profits and start selling binned versions of cpus at different prices

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  3. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    Why is he or she joking? I fudging hate w10 , so many back allies to get to a simple task, so many add on's that creep back after a update, a NET Framework version I cant use and 2 games free from AMD require it before you can use the reward system.

No you are the joke - everybody has to like your taste in matters

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Wat? Its not like people have choices. 7 is obsolete. It wont install on new mobos/CPUs, as MS has ceased support for drivers. You hating Win 10 is irrelevant. For anyone on new hardware, 7 is not an option.

5. ladcrooks

ladcrooks Guest

GPU:
    DECIDING
    I am using win 10 and you can get round it so you can use w7, but its not for everyone. So go and rattle someone else's cage

it was this answer that fired mine - Angushades said ' Windows 7 in 2019 lol, you'd have to be joking right. OMG the public education system has failed so hard...

6. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Re-read my post, and specifically what I replied to.
    Then you won't have to ask what I mean. ;)

edit : I've gone and bolded it to help.

7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    So when is AMD coming with an cpu that beats the OLD overclocked 7980xe in everything? Like rendering AND gaming/latencysensitiv programs?

[​IMG]

8. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Why? My fans are controlled by the Commander Pro so wouldn't I need it running? Also lighting side of things.

Thanks for that info! Will test it out when I get home.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Shouldn't you be comparing to Threadripper?
    Its still the wrong thread.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They'll never go away....

So, how much does Intel pay you to shill for them?

11. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just got myself a copy of same, I'll take the leap off of 7 here this fall when I got nothing to do. I don't want to but it's time.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I think this look to be the better deal then 9900k. I really am tempted to just make new system even though my personal 6700k will be fine for the next 2 years or so

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because the CPUID sdk is questionably stable.

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Can that control my fans that are plugged into the Commander Pro?

Also @kakiharaFRS you're a legend. By unticking the Enable SDK option my idle voltage now drops to 1.05-1.25; though it still can spike up to 1.4 when I move my mouse but it's a massive improvement nonetheless!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    disabling that option disables cpuid sdk, so that works out fine too. forgot it was an option.

bballfreak6 likes this.

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Haha now I see what you're trying to say.

So I tried different mouse polling rate to see if it has an effect on idle voltage as it spikes when I move my mouse and sure enough by dropping polling rate to 500Hz voltage stays mostly around ~1.1V with spikes to 1.2-3V and the very occasional jump to 1.4V; dropping it to 250Hz pretty much ensures it staying below 1.25V all the time (mostly hangs around 1.05-1.15V).

Update: on Reddit someone suggested changing settings under Ryzen Balanced power plan to min processor state at 5% and maximum at 99% and now even at full 1000Hz polling rate idle voltage now stays at ~0.98V.

Update 2: doing so seems to drop my boost clock quite a bit running Cinebench R20 from ~3.95GHz sustained to 3.5GHz.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    using a 99% maximum fully disables boosting though.

18. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea it appears that way I've put it back up to 100%. I think SDK setting + lowering mouse polling rate is the best method so far in dropping idle voltage while having iCue in the background...I am not competitive gamer so I'm not really noticing difference lowering polling rate. In saying that in-game (Witcher 3) the CPU still boosted to my usual 4.275GHz even with the 99% Max setting which was interesting.

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Gone from a 6700K to a 3800X and I'm quite happy with my choice. I get better FPS in several CPU hungry games where my 6700K would bottleneck my 2080Ti.

Wow, you've got a golden chip for sure. So you haven't OCd per CCX? If I leave HWInfo running I have seen one core boost to 4550MHz but this never happens in games (where it matters for me). The CPU typically runs at 4325-4350Mhz (all-core) when playing WoW for example.

Which mobo and AGESA are you running atm?

I hate that iCUE PoS so much!! I've battled with it for hours yesterday trying to find a way to save DPI/lightning profile on my Ironclaw mouse but I have no idea how to do it.

Anyway, iCUE is the only program that doesn't allow my CPU to idle down to as low as 0,2v. I'll try the SDK thing since I don't really use it tbh.

You run the fans at a fixed speed all the time? I would want to change the fan speeds based on the game I play. WoW for example doesn't need as much cooling as TD2.

Since you've only got a 1070, I can understand your choice but personally I'm really happy with the switch from 6700K to 3800X. The difference is huge in games like AC:Odyssey, Anthem, SotTR. I also feel I have more even FPS with less lows. Also my 2080Ti is able to really stretch its legs now and not be bottlenecked by the 6700K.

20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Nah I use a custom curve via iCue/Commander Pro. My PC is more or less whisper quiet pretty much all times and that's with 5x LL 120 fans and a Silent Wing fan on the Dark Rock Slim. I only hear it when the room is silent; if I am doing anything be it movies, music or games I don't notice it at all.

Also definitely try the SDK option as suggested by kakiharaFRS (and in my case dropping polling rate also as I am using a Corsair mouse) my idle voltage mostly stays somewhere around 1.05V now.