Possible (or it's exactly) degradation on my RTX 2080 Ti Gaming x Trio

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by chocoaddict, Aug 11, 2019.

1. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    I got my RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio back in November 2018, it's not good overclocker, it only got 105+mhz on core(1980mhz on very heavy load and 2010 on typical gaming load) and 700mhz on memory (micron). Power limit 110% and voltage slider +100%. Afterburner OC scanner was suggesting 110+mhz oc on my card.

On January 2019 I flashed my gaming x trio bios that unlocked power limit to 130%. In that bios my card can achieved 400 watt maximum power draw resulting constant 2010mhz (it didn't help in further overclocking though) in heavy load such as 3d mark firestrik ultra.

Short story, about a week ago I noticed my card wasn't stable anymore in that clock speed even with 130% power limit, so I reflashed my original bios back to my card(just in case this card will die at anytime). Even now Afterburner oc scanner says that my card only get 66+mhz overclock.

About degradation, is it still progressive even I reverted back to default setting (power limit 100% and voltage +0%)? What do you guys think, do I have to sell my card and get the cheaper new one like ventus or duke?

2. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Nvidia is the opium of bragging and hope of the poor man's luxury. Quality is top tier. It cannot be degraded.

Keep it stock for some period. It may will come around.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Maybe the card was not stable in the first place.

4. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    Go to also keep in mind that driver update can impact overclocking to some degree.
    With my 980-ti i was trying to get every tiny bit of power out of it, had to adjust my custom ROM almost after each driver update.

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    OC scanner is not consistent, it can auto OC less from your room simply being a few degrees warmer, heat is the enemy with boost and auto OC. What clocks do you get now overlocking yourself?

6. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Yep, I keep it stock for a while, without overclocking my gsync compatible monitor is sure come in handy.

It might be, before I flash my card with 130% power limit, +105mhz isn't very stable in some games like PUBG, Shadow of the Tomb raider, but now it's even more unstable if use +105 mhz on any heavy load games. For now I'll keep it stock and wait for another driver update to fire it up once more.

My gpu temperature is pretty reliable and consistent, I've also tried oc scanner with fan 100% speed and the result is same which is +66mhz. For now, game like metro exodus, shadow of the tomb raider, pubg, or any games which its vsync I turned off will crash less than 5 minute if I apply +105mhz, not with +45mhz. As I recall, before I flashed my card with 130% power limit, shadow of the tomb raider and pubg had crash on me as well on +105 mhz, but not in other games. I haven't stress test my card with 3d mark fire strike ultra with +105mhz yet, but back in the day when I was using original bios, my card was able to get through the stress test using +105mhz with 98.9% stability.

My temperature is never goes beyond 75 degrees C while gaming back in the day one I got until now, and i played my games with 4k monitor.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    +(number) doesn't tell you much of anything. It's very possible that when you are at +60 and at +100, the card is actually boosting to the same unstable frequency. It also doesn't help that you're using different games with different numbers.
    You need to find out where your card actually clocks, and what gpuz says your boost limit reason is. Don't worry about what +number you get to.

8. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you the clock speed, back in the day one when I overclocked it, it was boosting to 1995mhz to 2010mhz and pretty stable in 40 loops 3d mark firestrike ultra stress test and most games except sottr and pubg. Now it's barely stable at 1950mhz. Even yesterday, my gpu got crashed on pubg (nvlddmkm stopped responding in event viewer report log) at 1935mhz, I never got crash before at that clock speed. So I fully reverted back everything to stock to get completely stable. The stock speed without touching voltage and clock speed is 1860 mhz to 1875 mhz on average, and maximum boost clock 1890mhz. OC scanner says the limiter is power though. It seems like my card is a dud right?

9. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    As for degradation, it seems the card was never really stable in the first place with your OC so any number of things could be causing crashes that didn't happen in the past. Ambient temperature, dust build up, game patches, driver changes, windows updates etc etc.
    It seems that you have a card with low OC potential, we can't all have 'golden' cards. Some people have to have the cards that just scraped through quality control.
    I have experienced the same myself in the past, I just had to accept that my card was never going to clock to what most other users seemed to be getting.
    Run the card at stock, or minimal OC and be happy it's a 2080Ti or sell it and get a different one.

10. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    I also thought that. I really don't mind having dud overclocking gpu, but i just get paranoid it will degrade further after my 1 year warranty expires, and I can't get replacement for that. For now, I'll keep an eye for any clock speed degradation. Thank you

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Shame to hear your boost clocks's lower. Although it doesn't make a difference like you said, Gsync monitor's to thank for that.

But honestly mate... overclocking, flashing bios, and then making a thread about how it degrades (or not)... :D

I hope you still can enjoy your performance with 50Mhz less.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Same boat as you man, with the same card.

Used to get 2010MHz which could dip to 1995MHz during intense load but now I get 1980 or lower.
    I stopped using the GPU support bracket and my card does sag a little, maybe that's it? Or maybe it's me using extension cables? Or it just performs worse on my new mobo/cpu? I have no idea...but I've lost a tiny bit performance, that's for sure.

13. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Ikr, i can't help it though, this happened to me for the first time. I'm using 980 ti and 1080 ti before and my overclock with those card never degrades like this. Of course I still enjoy it, because recently I dumped my 60hz freesync 4k monitor for aorus AD27QD, I couldn't get happier.

No, new motherboard, sagging and extension cable have nothing to do with that, unless you get really bad sagging that can interfere the contact between the die and the cold plate, but it's very unlikely. By the way, that's exactly how the gpu boost behaves, every few degrees temperature increase, your clock speed would be lower too. I think your card is perfectly normal, as long as it doesn't crash with your current overclocking profile.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    overclocks are sensitive to both the degradation of the chip and timing specific optimizations implemented in drivers to overall improve performance.

15. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Hey I got an update, today I repaste my gpu with cryonaut, and I'm really surprised, one fourth of my gpu die was completely naked without any residue from the original thermal paste.

This is why nvidia should add temperature junction like navi. Now, my temp has improves by 7-8 degrees, and guess what, my original overclock are back.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    Maddness, signex and fantaskarsef like this.

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm surprised you were able to play games at stock with that much coverage missing.

17. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Ikr, my max temp before was 72-73 degrees c with 80% fan curve when it hits 70 degrees , now it sits between 64-65 degrees c. I don't know how much damage it done with that one fourth of the die, but my gpu performance is back as it used to.

For anyone with RTX 2080 Ti gaming x trio, you should be careful with original TIM after >6 months of usage. I think MSI used Noctua NT-H1 for their thermal paste because its color and texture is very similar, even though it's good for cpu, it's not really good for gpu, I've tried it on my 980 ti and 1080 ti, and it lasted about 4 months before it degraded or vaporized, the remain just wasn't there.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    You're right, the sagging is not the problem. I've put everything in a new case, gotten rid of the extension cables, added the GPU support bracket and I still get lower OC than before. Actually it's much lower now...seen it dip down to 1935-1950 with a +130 added which normally should give an OC of 2010. Even below 60 degrees it will just do 2010MHz.

Well look, I might do just that since I have some Kryonaut left from my last build. Never pulled apart a GPU before though, is it complicated?

19. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    Honestly, No. Just unscrew four screw attaching the card and the cold plate and the rest of the back plate, just be careful not to rip led cable that located in the middle of pcb near the gpu die, you don't have to disconnect fan header, just put your pcb above something and you're good to go, and be careful not to rip any thermal pads that cools the vrm. Make sure you cover and spread every area on the die with your thermal paste, DON'T USE PEA SIZE METHOD or you'll end up with worst performance than before.

And one more thing, I don't know how warranty policy term of your graphic card works in your region though, doing this probably voids your warranty.

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try this when I feel bold :)