Codemasters Integrates AMDs Image Sharpening Tech in F1 2019

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    airbud7 likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    In the meantime Remedy is implemeting ray tracing support for their Control and nvidia users. Which one is better?

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Both at the same time

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    But if you have to choose one? I know what i want more. ;)

airbud7 likes this.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i dunno, one is for low end, the other for high end, so it depends.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    i would use image sharpening + higher FPS over raytracing any day with current graphich cards .

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    IMO in a single player game like Control I don't necessarily need fast pace framerates and would prefer a visual experience so I'd take the better image quality from RT. As long as I could hit 60fps+ with RT on (1440p) then RT for me. That being said I don't have an RTX card so doesn't matter either way.

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    DLSS isn't enabled in the game FWIW. They accidentally enabled it before the update was issued to the driver. So it's essentially not functioning at all in that video.

http://blog.codemasters.com/f1-2019-patch-notes/
    Also I'm curious why these videos never compare Nvidia's sharpening feature? I don't think its as good as AMD's but for some reason people pretend like it doesn't exist

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I want to keep high fps while having extra details.

I definitely do not want TAA/DLSS or any other improperly implemented blur filter.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Has there even been a real comparison between CAS and DLSS? So far both video's I've seen DLSS wasn't working at all and neither Hardware Unboxed nor WADHD have fixed or even addressed it.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    So, does AMD FidelityFX Upscaling and FidelityFX Sharpening works with Nvidia Cards? The video below shows the option with RTX 2080ti:confused:

UPDATE: GOt it!!!

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This one what? Did you read what I quoted from the developer? DLSS was added as an option before it was implemented - all it does is lower the resolution but it doesn't actually apply the upscaling at all. So all these videos are comparing a lower resolution game with DLSS not running to AMD's sharpening. It's good for showing FidelityFX but it's useless for comparing to DLSS.

Edit: I see you updated your post - yeah FidelityFX works across all video cards.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I have seen some video comparison between CAS and Freestyle. Results looked rather similar, but impact on performance on nVidia's from Freestyle sharpening was few percent while AMD took sub 1% fps loss.

As for DLSS, there is not single implementation worth comparing because none delivers good image quality. One can at best compare it to many TAA implementations where it is not doing badly.

darkrainbow and Vlooi like this.
  15. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    No idea. People tend to forget it for some reason. Maybe they don't use GeForce Experience?
    Igor's Lab did include it in a comparison test video to augment their written article a while ago, but of course it didn't include F1 2019.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    darkrainbow likes this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I would vote raytracing. If a sharper image and better framerate are my priority, I'd rather just turn off or reduce AA. When implemented well (which so far, is rare), raytracing gives a better sense of realism.

I would say it's pretty obvious. DLSS is worse in every regard:
    * It's proprietary
    * It requires RTX cards
    * It only works on a select few games
    * It doesn't look as nice
    I'm not sure what DLSS' impact is on performance.
    Sure, where possible, comparing to DLSS would definitely be nice, but it seems to me it's already a dead technology.

I think it's a little weird how Codemasters acts like they did something to make AMD's image sharpening work, since to my recollection, it works on anything via a simple toggle. But, perhaps they meant that they got it optimized, so it looks better than it otherwise would have.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    darkrainbow likes this.
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I was talking about Nvidia Freestyle - which, while proprietary, works across Nvidia's entire product stack in hundreds of games.

That being said I don't fully agree with your assessment of DLSS. It's proprietary but there is no machine learning framework for gaming.. Microsoft is building one with DirectML but it just started shipping a few months ago - so it's not like Nvidia could have made it non-proprietary even if they wanted. Regardless, while DLSS as a brand might be dead the idea of using AI upscaling is just starting. As the neural nets get better, image quality will increase and as the hardware performance improves it will be faster/easier to train games. The current results with BF5 with DLSS are extremely impressive in my opinion and it annoys me to no end that reviewers are either doing what they did above (demonstrating DLSS in a non working state) or simply just writing the technology off because the image quality was less than ideal at the beginning. Every single DLSS game that's out has received multiple updates to improve image quality and yet I haven't seen a single reviewer go back and test the image quality. The best thing we got was Hardware Unboxed's video of BF5 and the above videos with F1 where everyone concludes "DLSS is bad" but it isn't even enabled lol.

I think the technology of AI upscaling will remain and only continue to improve. I'd like to track the progress of it and I wish reviewers would look at it more frequently or at least make sure it's running before publishing reviews about it. It's honestly embarrassing that those two videos linked above with F1 don't have any disclaimer or update explaining that codemasters accidentally flipped the switch on DLSS without integrating it.

18. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    The ML used to implement DLSS was built by Nvidia, proprietarily, and must be used by developers for each specific game they want it to be available for. That is because there is a training process involved that must be performed specifically for a game. It is not a general purpose thing users can just enable for any game they want. Also, it is not part of a graphical API like DirectX, OpenGL, or Vulkan.

For more info, read this : https://www.digitaltrends.com/compu...ed-to-know-about-nvidias-rtx-dlss-technology/

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Ah ok, I guess I misunderstood that part.
    You say that as though ML is something games have been in need of, or that Nvidia's approach to DLSS was necessary. It's nice, but the only ML I'm really interested in for games is for computer players; not for graphics.
    Nvidia's approach might have required it to be proprietary, but, the gist of how it works doesn't need to be.
    Unfortunately, that seems to be the case for most product reviews - the first impression is sometimes all you get, and a lot of the time, reviewers never give an update or 2nd look, even when comparing the product to newer ones.

I do agree that getting more comparisons would be nice, but at the same time, I have a real hard time caring about it. Whether you like the improvements or feel bitter about the quality loss, both the positive and negative the differences are way too subtle. Even with the improvements, the cons outweigh the pros for me to have any real interest in the technology. Of course, you're free to disagree, but I suspect I'm not the only one who feels this way or else it would be tested more often by more reviewers.

All that being said, I find AMD's solution technologically boring and less finely-tuned, so, I'm not especially interested in that either.

20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Thank God for reshade...
    With it you can use "AMD´s image sharpening - CAS" in allmost every Game, dx9,10,11,12,Vulkan and every GFX Card. :)
    And it really is a nice sharpener.

And THANKS TO GOD for AMD making it OPEN SOURCE.... Cheers for that...

darkrainbow likes this.