The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Gerard, what do you mean AMD updated PBO for the AutoOC setting? 3700x and 3600x still yields no gains from changing this setting. Clocks do not boost higher, enabling or disabling does absolutely nothing.

2. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    3600X Max boost on box 4400Mhz
    Using whats said in video below 3600X Max Boost on my chip 4582.1.

Video showing max boost override .3600x 4525Mhz Outlast 2/Alien Isolation/Valley benchmark

MY 3600X Hitting 4500Mhz Cinebench 20

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  3. CyberSparky

CyberSparky Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Yeah, I've seen your posts. Only you and one other person on reddit, have I seen the AutoOC do anything for. Boost Override does NOTHING atm on almost all motherboards. Hell, with the current AGESA, most still aren't hitting the boost clocks written on the box. So telling everyone that if you aren't getting XXXX amount you are being ripped off is very exaggerated. Glad yours works though, looking forward to this being available on all motherboards once AMD irons out the wrinkles.

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah do not let the bold letters and smiley faces trick you.Do you believe that I do not know what is going on with the Ryzen launch.
    Soon as BIOS are fixed then everyone will be bitching about something else.

Jackalito likes this.

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    What do you mean? New AGESA or new Chipset driver?

This put a smile on my face. Still, I think my 3800X performs better than my 6700K and I'm quite happy.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    PBO + AutoOC = max. +200 Mhz offset to boost

that's not a guarantee you will get it and PBO alone does not override CPU max boost, you must enable AutoOC as well (if available, might depend on motherboard / chipset / BIOS version).
    From what I've read and watched, it's quite rare you get any extra boost and even if you do, performance difference in practice is basically zero.

From what I've gathered by videos or articles about AMD documentation:

PB = Precision Boost, on by default, stock behavior

PBO = Precision Boost Overdrive, off by default, enabling may give more consistent boosting but does not increase max boost clock

PBO + AutoOC = may give a max. of 200 MHz extra boost (offset).

Note that because PB is very similar to say GPU Boost, you may get even higher than reported max. boost even at stock if all conditions are optimal, in theory at least.

For the same reason AutoOC is not a locked / guaranteed extra boost but rather an extension of the allowed max. boost clock, which you may or may not reach.

PBO basically increases the parameter values that dictate when / how much the CPU can boost, which could give you more consistent boost clocks.
    (Certain temperature, power and current values are monitored).

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    The AMD video I linked explained the new feature but not very well but when I watched the video ,I knew then I was buying the 3600X for the best gaming experience.
    The Boost is all in the BIOS and AMD will fix it by end of September maybe. Chipset driver can control the behavior.
    To answer your question the new AGESA should properly address the boost behavior by then.

How it is supposed to work with boost
    AMD Ryzen processor will increase clock speeds when the CPU has electrical, thermal, and/or utilization headroom to spare. In other words: if the processor’s analysis of its own environment indicates that it can safely go faster… it will!

Thanks @AsiJu

The Jesus looking dude went with a in depth explanation of the boost and being a review site ,should not link those sites.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well don't take my word as 100 % truth either but that's my understanding based on what "professionals" I've seen and heard ;)

Makes sense though and PB / PBO / AutoOC get easily confused for sure, AMD hasn't been super clear on them.

Incidentally just flashed my mobo with AGESA 1003ABB BIOS and voila, memory running per XMP again, no bootloops, no bs.
    Time to finally test out this bad boy for proper!

9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    The more people read about the new Ryzen the more they will know.All I can say mine works as I expected before the CPU was released and why I picked the 3600X.
    Gave me the best gaming option with a very cheap price for the way I play.I am very satisfied with my purchase.
    I also just flashed my BIOS with the newest and it sucked so went back to Beta BIOS and back to normal again.

10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Which mobo? :) MSI is still rocking AB for everything below X570.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    ASRock X370 Killer SLI.

ASRock had only AGESA 1001 BIOSes for 300 and 400 mobos for "ages", but they jumped to 1003ABB from there for full range. Which was the smart thing to do.

12. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I just realized something I've always taken for granted to be true. Are threads listed in a linear fashion? I've always assumed thread 1 and 2 belongs to core 1(or core 0 as some call it). This is the case right? It's not thread 1 and 7 for instance in a 12 thread cpu?
    I could not find this on Google.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm not sure but that's how it should be with Ryzen at least.

Thread 1 is core 0 physical core, thread 2 is core 0 logical core, thread 3 is core 1 physical core etc.

Amaze likes this.
  15. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    I can finally call me a ryzen 3000 owner next week :)

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Nice, which CPU did you get?

17. MaestroBayten

MaestroBayten Member Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 6950xt
    After 1 month of waiting i finally receive my R9 3900x attached on an Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula. Im really curious how it will performe with my Vega 64 LC.

AsiJu likes this.
  18. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    EDIT Aug 12 2019:Let me start by saying I was wrong and I apologize for any misinformation I supplied due to my ignorance.
    I was aware of Third-Party Monitoring Tools not being as accurate as Ryzen Master and I just ignored that fact all together.

I have started testing with Ryzen Master only now to see what the actual clocks on my Ryzen 3600X really is.
    Although I still get over Max Boost as what is written on the box so I have no recourse to complain to AMD or refund my CPU'S.
    Also they are still fast little CPU's Still happy.

I have only witness Cinebench20 hitting Max Boost on 2 cores as of testing today.I will test some more with different BIOS and if any change is observed I will post back.
    https://i.**********/HLnQJjLW/3600-X-Ryzen-boost.png

Webhiker likes this.
  19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    @gerardfraser Remember the RAM timings you gave me? The DRAM calculator MemTest unfortunately returned one or two errors. I'm wondering, how do I know which settings to modify to get rid of those few errors? I've temporarily reverted to my XMP profile but the difference in AIDA64 latency is quite noticeable and the CPU handles stresstests better with with the memory at 3600MHz CL14.

20. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    One or two errors is most likely not enough voltage.In the screen shot I provide ,I gave you min voltage maybe you just miss what I wrote.

To avoid errors due to high of ram temperature cool ram and ideal ram temperatures would be below 42C.
    https://i.**********/VLFsL2KJ/6-Ram3600-Voltage.png