AMD Launches 64-core / 128 Threaded 2nd Gen AMD EPYC Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2019.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Intel may have an answer, but I question if it's the answer companies are looking for. To my understanding, their next-gen Xeons are basically just 2 of their Xeon 8280s put on the same package. Maybe each die will be cut down a little bit to make it more cost effective, but it won't make a big difference. A single 8280 already costs $10k. Even in an unrealistically best-case scenario where Intel cuts the price in half per-die, that new CPU is still going to be more power hungry and expensive than a single 7742, with roughly the same level of performance. Not to mention, fewer PCIe lanes. And, keep in mind it probably will have to be clocked lower (last I checked, it's still going to be 14nm).

I roll my eyes whenever people say "Intel is dead" but seriously, that's an incredibly bleak future if Intel's yet-to-be-released response is already a worse proposition.

I'm confident Intel will at some point have a better server product than AMD, but, I have no confidence whatsoever that is going to happen before 2021, and I'm not very confident it'll happen in 2021 either. That's definitely enough time for AMD to gain enough marketshare to fund an even better architecture.

2. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Oh, completely forgot about that. Makes sense.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    This is a 1-2 punch that Intel may never recover from, imo. They simply don't offer competitive products. The server market is where the real money is in the computer markets--big companies buy hundreds and even thousands at a time, need 24/7 reliability, Registered DIMMs, 8-channel memory interfaces, and gobs and gobs of PCIe lanes--and security is paramount--that's the other gigantic edge AMD has over Intel--security--it's not even close there, either! According to the presentation, AMD already has Zen 3 design-complete, and work on Zen 4 has begun. If Intel's waiting on AMD to drop the ball as it did post the A64/Opteron era, I'm afraid they are going to have a very long wait.. While Intel was busy milking old architectures and raking in the dough--AMD was busy designing Zen and Epyc--what a difference in corporate management! By the time Intel "has an answer" to Zen2, AMD will be at 5nm on Zen3 or Zen 4! Intel looks to be playing catch-up for quite some time to come.

4. Heck yeah, I could see some serious InfiniBand action with these.

5. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    [QUOTE="schmidtbag, post: 5698489, member: 246171

That's definitely enough time for AMD to gain enough marketshare to fund an even better architecture.[/QUOTE]

What?....;) Have you forgotten that when AMD's marketshare was a competitive joke 4-5 years ago and they were living on canned beans and peas that the company had plenty of money to design Zen and Epyc regardless, and bring it to market? AMD's got everything it needs to go full bore on Zen 3, right now. People are buying--or, rather they should be buying-- AMD stock like there is no tomorrow, imo. Papermaster said at the presentation that work on Zen 3 is already design-complete, even as we speak. The one thing AMD does not need is "marketshare to fund their next cpu development"...;) They are already knee-deep into Zen3. Several AMD executives reiterated the fact that AMD is here for the long haul and has no intention of occupying 2nd place ever again--Papermaster even said it was "personal" for him, as did Norris. Just wait 'till to you see AMD's Q3 and Q4 quarter for 2019, btw. The second-quarter's results ended prior to 7/7. Should be real eye-poppers, I'll bet.

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    It's too late to buy AMD stocks?

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I don't think you understood what I was trying to say.

Right now, AMD is demolishing Intel in terms of performance and value in the server market. Just because choosing them is a no-brainer, doesn't mean all servers are suddenly going to switch to them. Despite what a lot of people think, AMD is probably not going to have a greater market share than Intel in the next 2 years. But... they will most likely take the majority of new server hardware sales (at least for x86 platforms).
    All that being said, AMD has had sufficient funding to top Intel, but it's naive to think Intel isn't going to eventually catch up. However, when Intel inevitably makes a compelling competitive product, AMD will have had enough time and sales to maintain their competition.

TL;DR
    I'm talking about what's going to happen 5-10 years from now. Today, AMD is the obvious choice for most servers, but they won't remain that way forever.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You're welcome to pile in - the stock jumped a massive 16.2% today due to Rome (and Google and Twitter's adoption of it). The more the merrier ;)

9. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    One of the most important things about advertising.... if you have to mention your competitor, you've already lost.

mohiuddin likes this.
  10. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    AMD has about 2% datacenter market share. up from 1.3% last year. I had to read through over a dozen articles to find that number instead of the nonstop misleading "AMD gains 56% in data center....". Doing this kind of deceptive reporting will result in an overvaluation of their stock and will eventually cause lots of people to lose money. It seems the tech press is just as divorced from reality as the political press these days.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    except they're winning all the internets.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Where are you getting 56% from? The article you linked to mentioned 1 source that only predicted they would take 25% marketshare, and was vague about timeline. Last time I checked, that's a lot lower than 56%.
    But even then, there's a big difference between how much of the existing market is divided vs how many new systems are being sold. So, it's actually totally reasonable that AMD could be getting 56% marketshare in datacenter sales in the last quarter, half, or full year.

Also, these new generation of Epycs were just released. Of course they haven't affected marketshare numbers yet because there's no collected data on them yet.

13. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I believe that phrase meant their market share improved 56%. For example, if they had 10% and grew to 15% they gained 50%.

14. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    This kind of thing will be of little use to most people but I can definitely make use of it. Currently I have to use networks of four or five computers to do my computations and this could potentially replace all of that 20U monstrosity. We tried one of Intel's boxes with 20 cores and 40 threads and it wasn't quite up to the task. I needed two of them because their clock rate was too slow (2.2GHz) and the app didn't scale far enough because of cache and memory thrashing. I need at least 30 cores going full blast to meet my timing requirements and I get that with five boxes (hence the 20U remark - 4U each) but it would be great to have it in a single 1 or 2U box. Here is a picture of the task manager on the 20 core machine.

[​IMG]

15. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

16. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    I
    I'll never support this kind of advertisement . It will just spread hate among companies and customers , no healthy competition

17. Things do look good for the red team. Let us not forget they are making the chips for the next-gen consoles too. I am sure that helps their outlook. Amd does seem to be firing on all cylinders.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm assuming he actually meant they stated AMD marketshare rose by 56%, which isn't misleading, i don't know why anyone would think that means they have 56% marketshare.

In the quote you posted, he stated the article shows 1.3% to 2% marketshare, which is just about 56% (it's actually 54%) of an increase.

19. Gomez Addams

Gomez Addams Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I just realized something about this new chip. I mentioned previously that my app didn't scale well on the 20-core machine because of memory and cache thrashing. I looked up the specs of that chip and it has 28MB of cache. AMD's highest-end chip has 256MB of cache. That's amazing! It's about 9X more. I've watched the memory usage of my app and I think it could fit almost entirely in that cache. That would let it really scream a on machine with that chip. I think it would be very interesting to try one.

BTW - that machine with the 20 cores had two chips in it so that's why there are 80 boxes in the previous shot : 20 cores x 2 threads each x 2 chips.

20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Hopefully who buys stocks know what data to look at.
    They trust press release when they say `this year we did crap`.