Rick Bergman (re)Joins AMD Senior Leadership Team

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD announced industry veteran Rick Bergman has joined the company as executive vice president of Computing and Graphics with responsibility for the company’s high-performance PC, gaming and...

Rick Bergman (re)Joins AMD Senior Leadership Team

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    The gpu war is raging and most interesting in a decade. Amd/Intel/Nvidia.

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Battle rallies up, folks.
    Build it and they will join it.
    Lisa Su board made it, pave the way, now old and new player are entering the team.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    sandeep has clearly been pilfered by Intel / Raja

schmidtbag and Picolete like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Ah, the ATI days. Sometimes i wonder if AMD never bought them how different this all would be.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if AMD had paid what ATI was actually worth (because they overpaid) how different would it be.

7. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    This is going to be good! Like the old days!

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Intel isn't in it yet....but they have the resources to go head-to-head with NVidia.... It's just a matter of building a GPU capable of competing. I don't expect much of Intel, long-term, personally. They're used to small, year over year, performance improvements. That approach won't fly in the graphics market. Small 5-10% performance gains annually will run them right out of the market.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    So you think this multi-billion $ company who are pouring tremendous resources into this project cant figure out this simple business insight and are just flubbing their way ahead?

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well, i hope he does a better job here than he did with Star Trek Enterprise......eh.......no......i'l get me coat. Lol

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wouldn't be the first time...... They dumped resources into their 5G modem that didn't pan out. They dumped resources into a "set-top" box that didn't pan out. They dumped resources into mobile processors that didn't pan out. The 5G modem division is being sold to Apple. The "set-top box" division was sold to Verizon. They did originally intend Larrabee to be a graphics card...and we all know how that worked out. Intel was forced to re-purpose Larrabee due to cost of development.

HandR and alanm like this.
  12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I knew you were going to mention Larrabee :D... but that to me is all the more reason they studied and looked into this to the hilt. Not saying its all sewn up and bagged for sure success, its an incredibly difficult field they are getting into, just doubt very much any failure would be due to the overly simplistic reasons you mention ("they're used to small, year over year, performance improvements. That approach won't fly in the graphics market. Small 5-10% performance gains annually will run them right out of the market."). Any multi-billion $ conglomerate can have some part of their business fail to produce, but if you could predict with accuracy the exact reasons or causes for failure before they occur, I'm sure you would be hired as their top business guru with a 7 figure salary.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well.....considering the massive hype that was built up for Larrabee, and now this new attempt at the discrete GPU market..... You can't discuss Intel developing a discrete GPU without Larrabee being part of the conversation. It was hyped as the greatest graphics card ever developed, only to be repurposed as an accelerator card. Now the hype is building for yet another Intel GPU..... In reality, we know nothing about what they're developing except the possible name (Xe). By this same point, we knew almost everything about Larrabee. I was optimistic about Larrabee, even knowing the origin of the architecture. I'm also aware of Intel's product support history. Intel has a LOT of work to do to prove they can and will properly support a graphics card. Simply hiring staff, studying a market and allocating the necessary funds, doesn't prove a long-term commitment to proper product support.

As has been standard practice for me, if they actually release a discrete graphics card.....and it's worth the asking price....without any limitations on compatibility....and it's properly supported. I'll buy. It's as simple as that. I'm not going to give them a pass just based on possibilities though.

alanm likes this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Larabee was developed at a time when intel had no real ceo, Brian K was a moron with little in the way of capability where future-thinking comes into things.

Under him intel floundered, lost any momentum in its x86 development and tried to be jack of all chips, master of none.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Brian Krzanich took over as Intel's COO in 2012 and CEO in 2013. Intel announced in 2009 that Larrabee was not going to be released to the consumer market. In 2010, Intel announced that Larrabee would not be released as a GPU at all. Brian Krzanich had no control over any aspect of Larrabee until well after it had been re-purposed as an HPC accelerator card. In fact, Brian Krzanich was a supply chain manager when Larrabee was in development, and at the point that it was re-purposed. It was actually Krzanich's predecessor, Paul Otellini, that was CEO during Larrabee development and subsequent re-purposing. Krzanich didn't slow things any more than Otellini did. Craig Barrett was responsible for Conroe's development, which resulted in the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    He was in charge of factories and supply chains as of 2007, this of itself is enough to stunt processor development as material availability is a factor in how you build a chip.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If Otellini or the Board of Directors had felt he was hindering progress in any way he would have been removed from his position. Intel didn't get as big and profitable as they are, by doing stupid crap....

He wouldn't have known any more about what was being produced than necessary to perform his job duties. Until he reached COO in 2012, the information he had access to would have been limited to what he was required to know.

18. Pirates of Intel Valley...