The AMD Ryzen All In One Thread /Overclocking/Memory Speeds & Timings/Tweaking/Cooling Part 2

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by vbetts, Sep 24, 2018.

1. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Now that I have had my 3700X and Asus X570-E Gaming for about a week I can pretty safely say it's running extremely well. No crashes or apparent issues of note so far (knock on wood). Ram running per XMP spec. Tested a software I use for astrophotography and was happy to see just about all threads being taken advantage of and ram usage over 15GB (very glad I did end up going with 32GB in the end) and the integration process felt like it took half the time it did on my old 4770K.

One thing I did notice that I thought was interesting. I have the latest chipset driver installed (but not the latest AGESA, waiting for Asus to bloody update the bios) and with Corsair iCue running even AMD Power Saver plan my voltage still stays above 1.4V most of the time. Only time it will drop (to 0.9 idle) was in Windows' own power saver plan. With iCue closed even in AMD Balanced plan it will drop to 1-1.1V idle however so I know iCue has a lot to do with it. What's more interesting though is that under high load I actually find my voltage goes down to about 1.36V with iCue running in the background and in AMD Balanced plan and then goes back up to +1.4V when idling. Not sure why the behaviour and well see if the new AGESA changes anything when it gets released for my board.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, well at least browsing ASRock forum topic on Ryzen 3000 support seems those are common issues and most likely caused by early AGESA version.

Community rep there assured updates are coming, ASRock takes their time on purpose, which is fine if true. Also I understand no point in releasing say 1002 AGESA based versions anymore, even if they'd have them tested.

Must play the waiting game I suppose. I'm just a bit hesitant on even using the system, I've never had a BIOS this unreliable...

3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I'd like to share my story regarding the 3800X.

I bought the following stuff:
    AMD 3800X
    MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
    G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz CL14 Trident Z
    Corsair H100i Platinum SE
    A bunch of Corsair LL120 fans
    Intel 1TB M.2
    Lian-Li O-11 Dynamic

First thing I did was to get my board flashed at my retailer since I didn't have an older Ryzen, it took them 15min while I waited, great service! Building the whole computer was a mess though and took forever. First I tried the included Wraith Spire cooler since I thought my H110i was broken (the screws seemed too long and looked like they would penetrate the fins, which they apparently are supposed to do...ish after having googled for 30 minutes). The computer booted on first try and I could use the XMP profile on my memory without any problems. Installing Win10 was a breeze like always and I also got the latest chipset drivers. I installed three LL120 fans on the side of the case (as instructed by Gamers Nexus).

Unfortunately temps were really bad, especially on the CPU side since the Wraith was breathing most of the hot air from the GPU back plate so temps around 85 degrees and max RPM was common in games like Anthem. Idle temps were also not too great with the cooler revving up and down. GPU heat was also a huge issue.

Later I got a new H110i and installed it but in that process I was very unlucky and got some paste on two of the CPU pins and also on the CPU socket. Trust me when I say that I felt like life was really unfair at that point but I tried cleaning the best I could, installed the H110i and it luckily worked like a charm. Later I also moved the fans to the bottom of the case which helped with temps tremendously. I also got a beta BIOS from MSI (unknown which AGESA) and new chipset drivers were released which helped a great deal with the idle temps.

I'd say that things are running fairly smoothly now and I'm very happy about game performance compared to my old 6700K. The biggest increases are in AC:Odyssey which play completely smooth at 4K/60fps even in Athens. Anthem also took a huge step forward with a 15fps boost in the city and while roaming with no CPU spikes like I had before. SotTR also plays better but still not perfect since there are some weird stutters in DX12 which aren't present in DX11. (Unfortunately DX11 plays like crap so DX12 is very necessary). This improvement is noticeable in the big city.

My main issues now are the following:
    ¤ High idle voltages, my idle voltage is 1,488v atm but the chip is cool in Windows (~38-45 degrees depending on AIO RPM)
    ¤ Mystic Light not working as well as I hoped, for one it's considered malicious software by AntiCheat which a lot of games use, TD2 for example
    ¤ Still would like to have the GPU even cooler and preferably an even quieter case but I guess that's not possible

I'd also like to OC my RAM to 3600MHz CL14 but I have no idea how to do that. I would also like to try PBO or even OC manually but I don't know how to do that either. There are too many parameters to understand, Intel is way better there since it's only CPU ratio increase and some Vcore tweaking and that's it.

4. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Idle voltage at 1.488v means nothing. The voltage under load is what matters.
    All the Ryzen chips I have owned 1800X, 2700X (and still waiting for it to arrive 3900X) have run 1.4xx to 1.5v idle voltage.
    AMD have stated numerous times, that the CPU will NEVER request too much voltage, since it have safety features built in.
    But you can always try to run with a negative voltage offset. Start with -0.03750v and go from there.
    If the - offset is set to high the system will start to reboot at random. While watching a YouTube video or something like that.
    Then you need to lower the offset.

HandR likes this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    My mistake that I did not look more into the post that was posted.I have no desire in trying to install Windows 7 at all.I thought I try to do a quick google and see if something reasonable was out there,just so happens I hit your post which was not led back to the forums here.Tried to help sorry about that.

That is great that you are able to play the waiting game and at least they are aware and working on the problem.
    Like I mentioned I could see some problems on 300 series but not to the point where someone would not feel comfortable in using the system at all.Always great to have a backup.
    Stay positive but it is sure a hell of a long time not to be fixed to a reasonable expected usable level by now.

AsiJu likes this.
  6. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I can help you with some stuff since I have MSI Motherboard.

Suggest install for BIOS options
    AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab(7B78v29)
    amd_chipset_drivers_v1.07.29.0115
    AMD Ryzen™ Balanced Power Plan

¤ High idle voltages, my idle voltage is 1,488v atm but the chip is cool in Windows (~38-45 degrees depending on AIO RPM)

To control voltage a little better there are ways to accomplish this.Thing is do not worry about the numbers on CPU Clock for now that can be adjusted.You game some so CPU clock from 4250Mhz to 4600Mhz not much difference at all.Anyway enough with the crap ,lets start.

Set reasonable CPU Clock and Voltage in BIOS along with Silent settings for AIO to have great Temperatures at desktop gaming ETC.
    This EG: 4300Mhz @ 1.325v

¤ I'd also like to OC my RAM to 3600MHz CL14 ,here is how to set and numbers

Results Cores get sleepy and still snappy feel. Temperatures are lower on desktop
    https://i.**********/MHqkCp2d/Desktop-Screenshot-2019-08-05-11-52-02-22.png

Jackalito and Netherwind like this.
  7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks a lot for taking your time to write that post. I'll try these things this evening after work.

One thing about idle voltages, I've found the reason for it and it's Corsair iCUE. When that software is enabled my idle voltages never drop but as soon as I close iCUE they drop after a few seconds. Voltages then range between 1,2v down to 0,4v idle. Also my Geekbench score was 200pts higher single core when I reset my power plans. I've also uninstalled everything AMD related for now and will reinstall it this evening.

Then I'll try the memory OC (which I think is important).

By the way, have you tried CCX OC? First cluster to 4,5 and the other one to 4,4 or something similar?

8. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea I posted about that on the last page regarding iCue. It drops a little if in Ryzen Power Saver plan and does drop all the way down to 0.9 idle on Window's own Power Saver plan. Hopefully Corsair will work with AMD to get this sorted as they are few posts about it as well on Corsair forums and reddit posts. Another interesting observation as per my last post voltage stabillises around 1.36 during load yet weirdly goes up to 1.46-7 during idle, very peculiar.

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I've e-mailed their support and asked that they update their current version with a new version where you can completely disable hardware monitoring since that would solve the issue.

bballfreak6 likes this.
  10. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Or even don't do it quite as aggressive! But hopefully they do get on top of it.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Hey no problem,Yes I have tried CCX OC and it works great also.Ryzen Master is a great tool.I tested games from 4250Mhz to 4500Mhz and I found no difference.
    Also in gaming for just about every game there is no difference for memory so your 2080Ti and memory if fine for gaming.

Ryzen 3600X Tested Tight Ram Timings 2133Mhz 2400Mhz 2933Mhz 3200Mhz 3733Mhz 4000Mhz 4200Mhz 2560x1440 Ultra settings
    https://i.**********/J4CbLvLZ/Memory-Chart.png

ALL Core Overclock 4425Mhz@1.325 DDR4 CL16 4200Mhz

Kingdom Come Game 4425Mhz

Cinebench 20 Change Voltage and Clock on the Fly with Ryzen Master

Jackalito, Netherwind and AsiJu like this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    That's a world class OC you've got there! 4425MHz all core is impressive.

I did the Memory OC and it booted and all, both AIDA64 and Geekbench showed improvements. One thing I got advised though is that tRFC2 should be 222 and tRFC4 136 based on t the tRFC 298 value. Would you agree?

About the manual OC, I'll see what I can do there but as you said, it doesn't really matter for gaming so I might just leave it at that.

Regarding the FAN control, I checked the instruction manual for my Corsair H110i and it says that you connect the pump cable to the CPU_FAN header, so making the adjustments you suggested might not work. Also the CPU fan RPM at the moment (according to HWMonitor is 5152 RPM so either a reading is off or it's simply up to iCUE to make the right call.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  13. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yeah I can do all core overclocks but I do not bother because I only game.
    Yes to the tRFC2 and tRFC4 values should be lower.I leave mine on Auto ,again because I just game and do not really do the AIDA64/GeekBench for scores otherwise I would just leave my Ram CL16 4200Mhz

Manual overclock was a suggestion with low voltage for cooler temperatures,AMD do a great job and no need for any overclock unless someone wants to Overclock.
    I think going to take sometime for people to get the overclock numbers out of the mindset.AMD can control overclock at lets say 4250Mhz and get better results than an all core manual overclock at 4400Mhz.
    Of course there are cases where this is not 100% true.

As far as the Corsair H110i connect to the separate pump header on your MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon in red in screen shot(it will work) and connect your CPU fan to proper header.
    Also try HWinfo64 instaed of HWMonitor for better Fan RPM readings.Worth a shot and no way it is running at 5152 RPM but I have some fans that can but defeats the purpose of silent PC.

https://i.**********/fRQRm1Hj/Untitled.png

14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    My 3700x doesn’t even hit 4.4 on a singly core. Two of them hit 4370. The rest will reach 4292 and the all core is around 42. I’m using the stock cooler though so I’m not surprised. On a side note PBO does didly squat and I can achieve 4250 if I decide to OC.

15. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I don't have ABB yet, only AB but I agree that the Windows Balanced plan is better at idling than the Ryzen one.

I'll each core/thread but the complete package (according to MSI AB) boosts up to 4400MHz occasionally but seems to stick with 4350-4325MHz most of the time.

And yes, you have a golden chip if you boost to 4,65GHz. I've actually never seen such numbers.

I asked about tRFC2 & 4 cause those were the values you gave me :) But it works great after the adjustment so I'll leave it at that.

About manual OC, you are right but of course I wish I could run an all-core of 4.4GHz, that would be really nice. I will try 4350 though, maybe that will work.

You are right, I could very well use the PUMP header on the motherboard but concerning CPU_FAN there is only one header and I've got two fans but I guess I could find a splitter somewhere.

4370 is not far off from 4400 ;) Still, I understand that it would be nice to have a stable boost. And you're right about PBO, it does absolutely nothing, not sure why it even exists.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    AMD updated PBO Override to give extra 200Mhz,if your not getting it ,you are getting ripped off.Even though 4250Mhz is the same as whatever boost you get.LOL I am fracking with people because they thingk they need the highest number.Here is what you should be getting for each chip,lucky I am 17.9Mhz from the magic of the promised land.4582.1Mhz baby suck on that bitches :p

Ryzen 9 3950X
    -4700 Max Boost on Box=PBO Override 4900Mhz
    Ryzen 9 3900X -4600 Max Boost on Box=PBO Override 4600Mhz
    Ryzen 7 3800X -4500 Max Boost on Box=PBO Override 4700Mhz
    Ryzen 7 3700X -4400 Max Boost on Box=PBO Override 4600Mhz
    Ryzen 5 3600X -4400 Max Boost on Box=PBO Override 4600Mhz

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its been a while, but im back (my last AMD CPU was an Athlon). :D

https://i.**********/zBLmvnts/New-Ryzen-Rig.jpg

Specs :-

Ryzen 7 3700X
    Corsair h100i Platinum 240mm AIO RGB
    Gigabyte Aorus x570 Pro Motherboard
    Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Sync 850w RGB PSU
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 RGB CL16
    2x Samsung 1Tb SSDs
    MSI 2070 Super Gaming X-Trio
    Win 10 Home
    Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X case (Galaxy Silver).

Im also back on Nvidia too (last Nvidia card was an 8800 GTS) :eek: :D

serbicu likes this.
  19. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Yeah it's not like it's a huge performance issue it's just a tad disappointing.

20. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF