Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Several people reported better 'response' with mouse after they set USB controllers to high priority.
    But only you can test it on your rig.

SputNick likes this.
  2. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    Thank you for replying.
    I have one more question I hope you don't mind. Is this normal? The CPU usage of System Interrupts goes from 0.something to 1.x%

[​IMG]

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

CPU usage of System Interrupts goes from 0.something to 1.x% when you do what exactly?

4. SputNick

SputNick Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GT 610
    This happens straight after rebooting the computer and it stays for around 5 minutes (not sure if it shows up later i haven't observed yet). Not sure if it's something to do with bad settings.
    Also thanks for what you're doing around here, it's remarkable how incredibly helpful you have been to thousands of people.
    [​IMG]

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

I would not set high interrupt priority for Intel Management Engine Interface and for High Definition Audio Controller, but if you see no harm then it`s OK.

I think that setting interrupt priority to high should not increase CPU % spent on interrupts. I think that high priority just lets the ISR and DPC of device to be preempted by ISR and DPC of other devices less frequently (or even never maybe). So I think increased CPU % on interrupts means increased interrupt quantity.

And, you are welcome.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    SputNick likes this.
  6. limeay

limeay Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    I used to have multiple devices on high priority. Felt a bit iffy. Read my earlier replies back on this thread... I only have 1 now and that's on xhci. I dont know how many devices at max the os can take before it causes massive delays. Hard to tell.

SputNick likes this.
  7. InputLagFiesta

InputLagFiesta Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hey I was going to switch my GPU into MSI mode since apparently it's sharing an IRQ with something else https://i.imgur.com/rdfMjfJ.png but unfortunately it seems like it isn't compatible as there is no MessageSignaledInterruptProperties in the registry for it.

Is there anything I can do at this point? I was hoping that MSI could possibly fix my abysmal latencymon values https://i.imgur.com/pUKiTJg.png (this is after just 3 minutes of running). Suffering from severe input lag which probably is the fault of USBPORT.sys, dxgkrnl.sys and HDAudBus.sys? Any help is appreciated and thanks for writing this guide

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Do you see support for MSI mode when you run this utility (MSI mode utility)?
    Don't go by not having a registry value

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Create "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" key yourself, reboot and then try MSI utility.
    Here is the pic of the registry keys for my NVIDIA 1070
    [​IMG]
    So you need to expand "Device Parameters" key, then expand "Interrupt Management" key, and then create "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" key.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @InputLagFiesta
    I just checked inf-file for my NVIDIA 1070 card (DriverVer = 07/03/2019, 26.21.14.3136) and I see that not for all cards there "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" registry key is created during installation. And for my 1070 too. On my rig the key was created long ago (I am sure that in older drivers versions "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" registry key was created during installtion). So you can safely create the key.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I had always thought the utility would add the key if not there.
    I can't remember ever adding it manually.
    I know I do a clean install every driver and GTX970 I guess has it as I only have to check the box and hit apply.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I can modify utility to do that.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @EdKiefer
    @InputLagFiesta
    I just checked the sources of utility (v2), and discovered that utility should create absent "MessageSignaledInterruptProperties" registry key just fine. So there's no need for manual creation.

14. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    That is what I thought :)

15. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    So this is weird, I have switched my videocards to use MSI instead of IRQ for roughly the past 2 years because my current build had weird random lag with various input devices from what I can only assume was because a few system devices on my Z270 were sharing IRQ's with various other components such as my video cards, etc. I always switch it to MSI after a new GeForce driver is in stalled because it defaults to IRQ upon installation.

Anyway, fired up Division 2 and it was very choppy and not what I was used to. I then remembered that I forgot to switch the cards from IRQ to MSI but decided to run the internal benchmark before I switched them to MSI. Very surprised by the results. I am sure it is more the exception then the rule but still it is pretty drastic.

All the exact same settings, the only thing changed between the 2 runs was the switching of IRQ to MSI and a reboot.

IRQ
    [​IMG]

MSI
    [​IMG]

Smough likes this.

16. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I too use MSI because it is smoother, but your result doesnt seem accurate looking at the graphs.
    There is a small avg fps change in the graphs and it looks smoother, but the overall avg fps supposedly increased 74%.
    Probably a bug in the benchmarks reporting.
    Still a good positive result though.

17. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    It was definitely not a bug with the results, it wasn't just the numbers, it was smoother and by a lot. Also, look at the numbers in that first section with the blue line graph for fps, the lines are similar but the max fps numbers are 100 fps (IRQ) and 160 fps (MSI) respectively. I do have the .csv files as well for each benchmark run, most definitely not a bug.

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Ah, I didnt look close enough and assumed the max figures were both 100fps.
    pls ignore what I posted :)

19. DxVinxGado

DxVinxGado Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090 Ti
    So did I at first glance, obviously there is something else going on I just have no idea what it could be. Interesting to say the least.

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    how many and what devices are shared with video IRQ?
    I think you're the first to get such a huge improvement.