Gigabyte Vega 64 OC 8GB Wattman Issues - Again

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Fishpro661199, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Fishpro661199

Fishpro661199 Guest

GPU:
    Raedon R9 390
    Has anyone successfully fixed this issue? I have been going thru driver sets trying to find the best one and I am still getting issues. I am in dire need of some suggestions. My rig is 3 months old.

Ryzen 2600
    Asus B-450 gaming
    Corsair 16G Vengance

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/19/08/06/fqv.png

2. slimmy427

slimmy427 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Hybrid 1080ti
    First what is the "issue you are having"? You make no mention of anything.

I was never able to get this card to overclock correctly. Anything over the default boost of 1630, no matter what I did, would eventually become unstable. The HBM OCed stable at 1050mhz and an applied power limit of +20% seemed to work best. Unfortunate thought, the voltage would glitch out to 1.050v no matter if I used power play, msi or wattman. Also, Auto OC never worked.

I believe its a baked in bios issue with the Gigabyte OC edition. It does not use the infinity fabric that AMD developed and there for it cant operate at the same SOC voltage and Hot Spot Temps.

Personally, I went through 2 cards from Gigabyte and they all operated the same. As a side note, don't trust Gigabyte to respect the warranty either. They will try and screw you over. I had to insight the magnison moss act and involve my credit card company.

3. Fishpro661199

Fishpro661199 Guest

GPU:
    Raedon R9 390
    Sorry, drivers crash and I get a black screen. Have to restart and I get the Wattman crashed error. I've tried very fix on the internet without any luck. Here's my current Wattman settings that give me an hour or so of game play before it crashes.

https://ibb.co/MDPZcG7

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What about at default Wattman settings?

wow those are some really wonky wattman settings... wth is that how you're supposed to OC Vega?

5. Fishpro661199

Fishpro661199 Guest

GPU:
    Raedon R9 390
    So, when the settings are default they crash quickly. This setting is from an online user who said it fixed his issue and i've used for a month or so. As soon as the new drivers came out and I updated, back to square one, even with these settings/

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    If you're BSOD-ing at default settings, and if you already tried with the fresh windows installation, and the issue persists, that sounds like hw problem.
    Most likely Vega itself or PSU or RAM.

7. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Stop using Wattman. Use OverdriveNTool and the AMD Memory Tweak tool.

Fishpro661199 and OnnA like this.
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Agreed...
    If the card/drivers aren't even stable at stock clocks.....without involving wattman or any other 3rd party software....it's a hardware issue.

I stopped buying Gigabyte products entirely due to wonky behavior.

Fishpro661199 likes this.
  9. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I had 2 VEGA GPUS die on me like that.
    They worked for some time, then it just crashed with a black screen. Untill they stopped booting.
    The issue was the PSU.

Fishpro661199 likes this.
  10. Fishpro661199

Fishpro661199 Guest

GPU:
    Raedon R9 390
    I did use those pieces of software and it still crapped out on me. That's when I figured it was a HW thing. I have a brand new PSU, a 750w Corsair as well so I knew that wasn't the issue. I just reinstalled my old Sapphire R390 and everything has been stable since I've did that thank god. Reached out to Gigabyte and got an approved RMA from them so this piece of crap will go back to them in the morning. It's been under 3 months, I hope they'll offer a refund or something comparable in the Nvidia lineup. Doubt either of those will happen. Thanks for all the responses and i'll let you know ho wit goes.