Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I am not going to try to convince you of anything, the SSD does not the help of any "pre-cached" stuff, it has been clearly stated several times that their speed makes stuff like prefetch, preload and superfetch unnecessary. Superfetch can only be useful if you have enough RAM with a mechanical HDD, in that case the RAM will help a slow HDD to load things faster. Superfetch more than helping, harms an SSD due to limited read/write cycles and it does not speed them up at all. I mean, an SSD does not even have to start to "spin" to read stuff...

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ram is still faster than ssd for random access.
    but win8 and 10 disable it on SSD's while keeping it on for HDD's anyway

There is no detriment on a modern SSD.

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    There is no limit in read cycles for SSDs.

4. e_yen98

e_yen98 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why did you decide to download and run this program? Do you have stutters in games?

While this program works (without failures) it periodically outputs either dots '.' or exclamations '!'. Dot means that standby list was not purged. Exclamation means that standby list was purged.
    If program fails to do something it outputs corresponding message and stops.

6. e_yen98

e_yen98 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    i have sttuer in bfv , im run this program and i didnt see "." or "!" when i run this program is auto close itself

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  8. e_yen98

e_yen98 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
  9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    For me, I enabled the two check boxes at the bottom left (Start minimized/auto start and Launch ISLC on logon/Task Scheduler), and set the polling rate to 10,000. Leave rest alone, then hit "start" and then minimize the software (it should sit in the task bar near the clock now). On reboot it will start on it's own and sit in the background and you shouldn't need to worry about it anymore. You can open up the program and it will show the # of times the list was cleared though, but otherwise you should be fine to leave it in the background and not touch it.

I've had zero problems with this so far and two games that used to stutter a lot rarely stutter anymore at all (Insurgency and BF5).

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I am curious. Why 10000? I have it set to 1000, I really don't see a reason to set it higher, the tool uses very little CPU. I set it to 1000, the same Wagnard has it set to. Is there any benefit into setting this higher?

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You can either use that or the classic Standby method that is explained on this video:

Any of them work fine, however Wagnard's program may be a bit more precise on this regard.

12. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've tried a few different levels (1000, 6000, and 10000) and they all are identical in performance and with regards to removing stutters.. so much to the point where leaving it at the max for even less usage made sense to me. I suppose I should have left that part out and let him try the default value of 1000, but I wanted to include everything I personally did to get a good smooth experience.

@e_yen98 just play around with that setting or stick to the default 1000. It's a polling rate so the higher you put it the less the app will be utilized at the cost of potentially not clearing the list in time to avoid a stutter.. someone correct me if I'm wrong here as that's how I understand how this is working.

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is not polling rate. Rate is samples per second (for example). The setting is polling (or sampling) interval = the amount of milliseconds between samples.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    @Wagnard I have no idea why, but your tool makes GTA V consume all of the RAM on my computer until there is none available (it takes all 8GB) and I have to restart the game. If I use the Scheduled task method, set to every 5 minutes, this does not happen and the RAM usage stays under 6GB all of the time and the game runs ok, but I do feel your tool makes any game way more stable and I was wondering what's causing this behavior that it makes Windows consume all of the RAM while playing GTA V with your tool active. In general, all games have a slightly higher RAM usage with the tool, but since GTA V requires a lot of RAM, it does affect me.

Maybe I need to change something in the config? I don't know. Currently it's set to 1024MB as it comes, but somehow that's giving me issues.

EDIT: Setting both values to 2048 fixed the problem, but I don't know know if it's ok to leave like that or set both back to 1024 again.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I never really thought much about this cause I was on 1607 for long time, when I upgraded my pc to 1803 skyrim se which was pretty much as smooth as it can be, Skyrim se start to get stutter and or slideshow like it onlt happen twice and usual after it been running 2+ hours and had countless saves reloaded. still didnt think much of it till now.

I dont have access to my pc but at my uncles I playing Nioh off my steam account threw sharing, and just running that game and only that game after doing clear of the standby memory threw RAMMap with in hours time there is over 9gb in standby from just nioh. so I can see how the ever bloating standby memory can become an issue. I have not see the standby memory cause actual issue in nioh simply cause nioh has its own stuttering issue some that actually are fixed points in the game.

I do know skyrim se was pretty much smooth as butter with all the same mods i using now on my pc prior to installing 1803 build and since that install i had those stutters. that turn in to slideshows till it is restarted and I dont really run with AB or any that stuff to monitor that stuff. so when I go back home I run skyrim with AB monitoring and see what hapens

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    ree
    What value are you using for interval time, 500ms?
    Raising free memory mb size from 1024 to 2048mb will make it clear sooner for same check interval (memory polling rate)
    If you want to experiment you can run any value within reason, the 10,000= every 10sec. You could even modify the Intelligent standby list cleaner ISLC.exe.Config file to say 30,000 (30sec) or even 60,000 (1min).
    I have not tried higher than 10,000 but the line is here, try what works for you.
    <add key="Polling rateSTR" value="10000" />

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Hey. I am using 1000 ms for interval time, I think that's a good value, does not seem to change a lot. I may try 10000 to see what happens, however seems kind of high so I don't know if it'll work that well.

18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, First I have not seen any adverse effects from clearing standby list memory but I don't have GTA V.
    Does this only happen with GTA V, what about other games?
    Now changing the interval time shouldn't affect anything as long as the free memory doesn't hit 0 before trim happens, like if you set a very high value.

I myself have tested this a lot with games I run and I can have a setting of 1024@1 min and even per min. but there is one note on higher settings.
    You can see free go down to 0 with above-mentioned value, this can happen loading a high footprint type app but while in the game I never hit 0mb (generally higher than 7xxmb with 1024mb value.
    Now that my finding on my system with my games, YMWV, so try different values but 1024 (or around seemed a good one for me).

Edit: 2048mb would be fine setting, I just don't know why you are having an issue with ram usage.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

Thats not the tool, GTAV DOES consume up to 12GB+'s easily during play

Get more ram.

20. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    It's probably just your game eating it and at 8GB it's normal.

You should send us a screenshot of the issue too. It's possible we may have to adjust some settings for such a low memory system.