The Outer Worlds

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by CalculuS, Dec 7, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I feel like a lot of people are not sure about this especially after doing the dirty to a large portion of those excited for it :<

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    My interest in it dropped off really sharply after seeing some gameplay.
    Nothing against Obsidian, but it really looks like a "get it on sale" kind of game.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I assume that after the Kickstarter projects and lack of publisher interest and declining sales for Pillars and it's sequel Outer Worlds didn't have the budget and resources compared to New Vegas or Old Republic 2 although it also didn't have a publisher with various demands and strict time criteria though part of that is on Obsidian themselves which I believe is also reflected from some of the former developers that has since left the studio and comments such as from Pillars of Eternity where they noted a new QA system for a digital database and bug submission instead of pen and paper and noting down little issues.

Microsoft picked up Obsidian but I don't think this reflects much for Outer Worlds having a separate publishing agreement and it's not part of some exclusivity agreement or new business deal with Microsoft though it might ensure Obsidian remains afloat should sales be less than expected or required to at least break even.

EDIT: Pitching a primarily single player game these days can't be easy, DLC and stuff could be a thing but online and a service model is the big thing now which has it's downsides and a few studios almost turn it into some form of template though I suppose that just follows the previous popularity of yearly sequels and same formula from one game to another for some popular titles.
    (Doesn't quite work with large scope RPG's or similar though which need years of development and probably also a fair bit of planning and pre-production work.)

4. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Obsidian produced a lot of good single player games with great story and I expect Outer worlds to be just that. If they haven't ditched steam I'd definitely buy it day one. I guess I could buy it on MS store, but If it's going to be UWP there would be no mods support and limited tweaking and from experience it's probably something that I would want to have in Obsidian game. That leaves it a year later release and if I have to wait a year, I'm sure I can wait a bit more for a sale. Pity.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Honestly, while they have made some great games... they've also made some really buggy games.
    I'd say give it the year, wait for the Steam release. At least by then, chances are more probable that they will have been able to address issues that surface after release.

6. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    yeah im also confused. it reminds me a bit the months\weeks before Andromeda came out,
    and i was excited but the game-play footage was questionable.

its very obvious to see that the conversation system is similar to New Vegas, that's
    a good thing the way i see it.

im following this one, still worth keep an eye on it.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    When is this out, i get it on GP so roll on launch. ha

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    25 Oct 2020

[​IMG]

I will let myself out.

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^That long. :(

Oh well, back to Skyrin VR. :)

10. oli3

oli3 Member Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    25 Oct 2019

shoja likes this.

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  12. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    New Vegas meets Andromeda ?

im not that happy with the latest videos. conversations are very New Vegas style, skill tree looks
    like.. i don't know, reminds me of Andromeda for some reason. gun-play is meh.. plus the story is
    taking place on some other worlds... and that also reminds me of Borderlands or something.
    looks odd, hope im wrong about it.

13. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The more I see of the game the less it looks like something I want to play.
    At first, I was ready to buy it day one. Then, thought... maybe after I see some feedback, then... after some patches. Nope, after the Epic exclusivity.

Now...
    Thinking, maybe a sale buy... or... not.

emperorsfist likes this.
  14. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    I'm having a similar experience. When the game was announced, I got immediately hyped. But with every new reveal, the hype has lessened to caution. I won't mind waiting for this to become non-exclusive, because it doesn't look like a day one purchase at all. Shame, really. Here's hoping that Wasteland 3 will do better.

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I can wait for a 10 bucks sale.

I do that with all games these days.

16. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Seems overall rather generic, especially NPCs, their lack of facial expressions and how they stand still with very little body motion / language while talking reminds me of Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim's NPCs, and to some extent Mass Effect's (mostly the original). They blink their eyes and bob their heads a bit and that's it. No motion on eyebrows to convey different emotions. I swear even Fallout 4's NPCs looked a bit more convincing, or I just need to replay Fallout 4 to make sure. In the 19 minutes gameplay video after the character talks to the NPCs and leaves the settlement, there's no activity going on there, it's very static, no NPCs moving about (probably no 24/7 Schedule system for them like in Oblivion or Skyrim). The outside environment looks pretty static too, wildlife seems very scarce (might of course vary from places to places).

I'm seeing a lot of signs that this game simply needed another 2 or 3 years of full team work on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up being rushed. However, one thing might be worth it in the end and that would be the writing and perhaps the voice acting (maybe, can't judge that from a 19 mins video). It might turn out to be a decent game but nothing mind blowing about it. Just looking at it I know I wouldn't buy it full price, but maybe on sale one day at something like $20 max, then sure I'd give it a go.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I will of course enjoy this for nothing with gamepass, the gift that keeps on giving. :D

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Kind of the same for me. It looks way too... happy? Not serious at all and very generic. Bland, maybe. Not interesting? Words fail me, sorry.

19. Syranetic

Syranetic Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4080
    Obsidian has good writers. That's about where it stops. All their games are buggy, and without going into too much detail, I've worked with some people to mod some of their games and we were dumbfounded by some of the issues in their code (like their own programmers not even knowing how to use the debugger properly in visual studio).

The sad reality is most talented programmers are paid better to go elsewhere, which leaves the games industry lacking in many cases.

I want to like the Outer Worlds, I do. I'm sure the writing and characters are great (as is usually the case with Obsidian games). But the gameplay (gunplay), graphics, animations etc all look like they were done on a shoe-string indie budget and really suck the life out of the game for me because it's jarring to play an RPG thats supposed to be immersive but the lip synching is 'meh' (see Andromeda for example).

Who knows if I will ever play this game, based on the videos I think it will be too painful. Like going back to Fallout 3 with a lower budget.

cerebus23 likes this.
  20. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    ms will be salty if their first game out the gate for them is meh, they better kill the story. and maybe take another go at some of them animations :p.

either way will be waiting for it to come to steam maybe some modders can save their game again. granted when u save an obsidian game lest its all technical and gameplay wise, their base role play and story are generally solid. that said they have lost some talent in the last few years.