Standby memory reclaim service (game stuttering fix)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by uKER, May 16, 2019.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It is possible to implement a similar program in C++.
    Also may be it is possible to compile uKER`s program to native code with the help of ngen.exe. You can do that yourself on machine with .Net or you can ask uKER.

Update: So, @EDK-Rise, do you want me to try C++ one?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    EDK-Rise likes this.
  2. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise Active Member

GPU:
    AsusStrixTop 6900XT
    Yes!:)

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    OK, I may will start it tomorrow.

akbaar and EDK-Rise like this.
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So many choices for this damn standby memory issue that MS can't seem to fix on their own. So far what I've seen is that Aveyo's script sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it does what it wants. The ISLC is really good, but for some odd reason I've seen higher RAM usage at some games and I still don't know why. I will try this other method to see how well it does.

Thanks for the solution @uKER

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    uKER likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    still not sure what this all about standby memory reclaim stuff that causes stutter, but maybe this why skyrim se seem to random get massive stutters kinda turns into slide show when it never really did before. I didnt really notice that in skyrim till 1803 build before that , I was still on 1607

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Basically, your RAM memory has a memory that could be called "memory on hold" or as we know it, "standby memory". If this RAM is not cleaned up properly, programs and games will stutter and will be slow because Windows didn't release the standby memory other programs were using and didn't give it to the program or game you are using. When we use a tool to clean it, then the app being used will use that RAM, but Windows has to clean it after a while, except it doesn't, so we need to use a method to clean it and have a smooth experience again. This is NOT system RAM usage where you see it being used in games with Task Manager or MSI Afterburner, standby memory is different and is not part of the total of RAM you have, you could see it as a sub-memory that RAM has.

This is what I understand from this and it does work, however, games that have a "native" stuttering issue won't change; i.e a heavily modded Skyrim will always stutter at some point no matter what because 1) You are loading stuff outside the game's code 2) Your RAM and VRAM have to load more things that are not from the game.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I get that by skyrim se never had stutters before this 1803 build I using not to extent that it became slide show less quit the game and restarted it, and I using the same mods I always used. which why I wonder if this is why

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Did you try any standby memory fix methods?

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    It's "standby memory" :)

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    seeing as I at my uncles, i dont have access to my pc till i go back North Carolina, I will have to test then, but I will probably upgrade my build to current one first

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Typo...

12. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Keep in mind that this issue affects any kind of PC, does not matter if yours it's much faster than mine or viceversa, this has become a must for any Windows 10 computer above 1607 build. I think the only case where you should not worry about this is if you have 32GB of RAM or more. The standby memory in this case will never saturate the RAM because there's simply too much of it.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    or incase of my uncles who plays 10-20year old game still where it would not be issue cause they use 1gb system or gpu ram if that

like said I never noticed any such issue on system before, but it was on 1607 and so was his. till I redid when I put ssd in.

C&C Renegade, Return to wolfenstin and Driver or even crysis/warhead are gona put any kind stain on his system memory. there too old like many the other games he has.

I tried Nioh and Shadow Warrior 2 on his system and they both are fine, no random slowdowns, and the slow down in nioh are engine related cause they happen in same exact spot always cause the engine loading something

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    You're right about some games, either because they are too light on system resources or because they are very well optimized, Nioh has "fixed" stutters where the game loads new stuff and you can't do nothing about it, I guess that's the way the devs designed the game, Shadow Warrior 2 it's a game that was made on PC first, then ported to consoles so that's why it runs golden on PC. The games that get affected by the standby memory are either crap console ports or games that take a lot of RAM. The second case it's better because the stutter get fixed with the standby memory fix, the first case with bad ports sometimes they will always run badly. Two examples are DA: Inquistion and Batman: Arkham Knight, despite having numerous patches, those games still don't run too well even on good hardware.

But it does not hurt to have a standby memory cleaner, it does not cause any issues. Oh and Windows 1607 does not have this problem, it has been reported several times, the games are really smooth on that version, but there are a few issues: It's ancient, it does not have Full Screen Optimizations, newer Windows Store games won't run on it and has security flaws, a lot, the Windows Defender it has it's very old, the newer versions from 1803 and newer are very solid and other things. I guess you could use the 1607 version on a secondary drive to play some games and try stuff, but it's too much of a hazzle for such an old version of Windows. Besides, it was reported that MS released a patch to fix the problem, it fixed the issue for some people but not all. But it means that they are at least looking into it a bit.

Jackalito likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah this is why thinking maybe I do have problem on my system, since before I updated to 1803 I was running 1607 and skyrim se ran as flawless as possible, but when I updated to 1803 skyrim se started get these moment where it would get stutter or even just start looking like slide show, shutting down the game restarted fixed. I think the highest I ever seen the standby memory get was like 4~5gb, I would think people that don't shut down there pc at night would have standby memory usage much higher. I usual only have my pc on for 8 hours a day. which why I didnt think much about it if it was this standby memory issue. Gona have do some testing when I get back home.

Maybe by time I go back there will be new build release that fixes this issue. would think such memory issue would been fixed by now we have had what 5+ builds since 1607. Also have no interested in running an older build on another drive/partion.
    As it stand I hate the every 6 month new builds come out that I need to clean install or stupid things happen or break. hell some of those clean installs have stupid thing that break for no good reason that requires me to reinstall the clean install.

maybe MS new take on build will change everything for the better. which is supposed to be 1 new build a year to my understanding

used a few of these programs on my uncles computer, to reclaim ram in standby I seen 5gb in standby after running a steam game. and run these standby programs clears out the standby memory.

Kinda odd that MS refers to this as cached text of task manager but standby in the graph.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Smough likes this.

16. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Honestly, it seems like not even MS themselves know what the heck they're doing with their O.S, it's like someone does something, then someone else adds another thing and they break it. And I agree, I don't get why it's called "cached" at task manager and then it has another name on the graph, does not make sense. And this issue is not even difficult to solve, all they have to do is add a service to Windows that monitors this and clean the standby memory if a game or program needs it. Kind of like the tools people have made a Guru3D but embedded in Windows. Some people get desperate and they go back to Windows 1607, this is not the solution and some newer games won't run too well on an old Windows version.

17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    This service is called memory manager. They only need to tweak it to move pages from standby list to zeroed list at some point. Or just revert to old mode which was free of ever growing standby list.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    its is MS hopefull with builds being once year new this all gets resolved, maybe.

but yah on my uncles pc running 1 steam game results in atlest 4gbs in standby if he goes and plays 3 different games the standby bloats up to like 8+ gbs, using anyone of these programs clears the standby memory.

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    The issue for me is not that the standby list memory is used when apps are loaded, but I have to play in a game a long time, then when free memory goes down it can happen.
    For example in BFV I have to play grand conquest, which is 3-day mission lasts about 1.5hrs, I get the issue but if I play other types of missions with only 0.5 hr I hardly ever see it happen. I guess there are many factors at play here.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i pretty sure I only seen skyrim se do this when I had it open and running for atlest 2 hours on my pc.

As for seeing this issue on his i cant say I do case all his game are 10+ years old, and nioh is only thing I have access to and it has fixed stutters due to it porty nature.

I get the point cached/standby memory but if the is no built in flush in it, that is huge over sight to me.

whats that point of having 16-32gb ram if 80& of it is cached and not given to the program that actual needs it

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019