Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Well I just played a few rounds of BF5 using the defaults, except for polling at 10000 and it was pretty much stutter free except for one stutter that I could remember (probably related to assignment tracking). According to the tool, it cleared the standby list 3 times while playing (roughly an hour or so). Seems to be working as intended so far.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    The default value should be ok. Maybe just the polling rate could be set at 1000 or + preferably the longest time that work best for you (I use 1000 personally). As for adding to task scheduler, it is up to you if you want it to run always or if you want to manually start it when gaming.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Smough and Kolt like this.
  3. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Would you say your solution is "better" than Aveyo's? I obviously don't want to put anyone down in here since both if you are trying to help PC users (specially gaming wise) to get the best experience, I am just wondering myself which option is more agile and straightforward. So far I'd say your tool is quite wonderful and my games seem to be a lot smoother now, I was using Aveyo's script, but it seems it failed at doing some things because some games kept stuttering with the script, with your tool they seem to do a lot better.

4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    So your solution is an added Windows service, Aveyo's solution is an scheduled task and Wagnard's solution is a .exe. I honestly don't know which one to use and the one that's the "best". At the moment, Wagnard's .exe seems to be a really good job at cleaning the "stanby" memory.

5. GIBF4

GIBF4 Guest

@EdKiefer:
    I have this active in PL, also using ISLC in conjunction, Is this okay?
    I doesn't "seem" to inflict or having downsides with both running. Better use one instead though? (I prefer ISLC)

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    We have all different way of doing it.
    There is one major change in my tho compare to aveyo. Mine use the performance counter library in c# while aveyo dllimport the pspapi.dll. The difference this produce is that my solution is able to correctly get the free memory. Aveyo free memory report also include the modified memory status.
    In simple word, my solution will report exactly what you see in task manager.
    If you have 0 free memory ISLC will report 0. Aveyo may report 500mb or even 1gb or more if there is a file transfert.

Best way to see this is copying a huge file.
    @AveYo this is something I discovered recently as I wanted to compare the way you were doing it and mine (speed, time to initialize, etc). Than I encounter this issue that you can't get exact values for the list and free memory and under some circumstances you will miss a clean even if the system has 0 memory because your free memory may report more than 1 Gb (file transfert or for any reason windows didn't saved the modified memory) so I suggest you use what I posted a few post back if you want better accuracy of the memory status.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    Smough likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If Wagnard`s one makes its work then use it without a doubts. My solution is more flexible a bit, but it requires the understanding to configure.

Smough likes this.
  8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If you are a PL user then enabling standby list trimming you don't need any other standby list cleaner, plus PL can run it only when in performance/game mode.
    I have not found a reason to clear standby list other than games.
    A 1min@1024mb setting seems to be a good starting point.

Here is how the config settings would look for standby list trimming only when in games.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TcNVtRmaCNBk5LUN9

PS: latest 9.3.0.22 final is out, so update, a lot of changes and features.
    Some here https://bitsum.com/product-update/process-lasso-9-3-introducing-the-cpu-limiter/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Hi man. So I was trying your script and I configured it as to clean memory when is under 1024 MB every 3 minutes, but when I started to monitor it, it wasn't doing anything, the standby memory got well over 1024 MB but it never got reset or released, it kept climbing to whatever it wanted to, the first method (the classic one with the EmptyStanby.exe from https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/) worked perfectly and does clean the standby memory to any timer you set it to, however I don't like the method with this .exe since it does it mindlessly and it just clears without any sort of configuration. I was wondering why the method with your scheduled task is not working for me. I edited the .bat file by changing it's extension to .txt so I could set it to 1024 MB every 3 minutes, but seems to do nothing once I execute the bat.

Any ideas?

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have not used his script but from your example I think you might misunderstand, the 1024mb value is probably not standby list but the low limit on free memory.
    So monitor the free memory and see if it is going below 1024mb. From my experience, 3min would be to long and you would end up hitting 0free memory in some circumstances.
    See if that helps or wait for someone who actually knows.

eGGroLLiO and Smough like this.

11. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    I assume it's necessary to disable Superfetch with ISLC?
    Otherwise whenever the list is purged, it instantly starts to fill back up to some extent.

12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Not at all and I don't recommend this.

windrunnerxj likes this.
  13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    If you have an SSD, you don't even need to have Superfetch active.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not true. RAM is still significantly faster than SSD.

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    https://www.game-debate.com/news/24...-and-reliability-on-win-10-superfetch-hot-fix

https://www.howtogeek.com/256859/dont-waste-time-optimizing-your-ssd-windows-knows-what-its-doing/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/superfetch-enabled-or-disabled.2631899/

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/i-tu...t-solved-90-of-my-performance-issues.1385274/

I still stand on my position that it's useless on an SSD due to the fact that an SSD is several times faster than any HDD, Superfetch increases RAM usage at idle, never has been stated that it gives a "superior" gaming experience, in fact, it's the contrary. If I am wrong, then it's because I have read almost everywhere that it's crucial to disable Superfetch if you have an SSD. Even on HDD enviorements, I've seen numerous times how it chokes the HDD to a 100% for a while, making everything super slow. The only way I can see it being useful it's for office work where it allows the RAM to load any application you use faster, Superfetch seems to me that it works better under conditions where everything the user is going to do it's always more or less the same, every day. In the case for the average home user, is not like that.

Besides, RAM usage in games is dynamic and it's never fixed, a game may use more RAM at a certian location, then it will use less at another place. An example for this is GTA Online, where the RAM usage changes often when stuff is flushed and then used for other things while you are playing. And honestly I have no idea how superfetch could pre-load huge textures or open worlds some games have before you open the them, it's simply schizophrenic to me, but each to their own.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Those first two links contradict themselves, first one says to manually disable Superfetch service and the second one says it done automatically by Win10.
    If so there be no improvement to disable the service.

17. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    The article says:

"Windows 8 and 10 also automatically disable the SuperFetch service for speedy solid-state drives. Leave SuperFetch “on” in Windows 10 and it will automatically enable itself for slower mechanical drives and disable itself for fast SSDs. You don’t need to tweak this by hand–Windows 10 just does the right thing. Windows 7 will disable SuperFetch system-wide if you have a fast enough SSD. Either way, SuperFetch is disabled automatically.

Windows Update automatically updates your hardware drivers–whether or not you want it to–so you shouldn’t need to dig up new driver versions from your motherboard manufacturer’s website to go looking for performance improvements."

He also said this:
    • "Disable Superfetch and Prefetch: These features aren’t really necessary with an SSD, so Windows 7, 8, and 10 already disable them for SSDs if your SSD is fast enough."

Basically, the author of the article says Windows manage this on it's own, while it's true sometimes Windows does this on it's own, I prefer to fully disable Superfetch on any SSD system. You gain nothing except more read/writes on your SSD and could even be an obstacle for the SSD speed. For power users, it's pointless, all I've seen it do it's that it consumes a lot more of RAM at idle. Overloaded RAM with pre-loaded tasks only it's truly useful if you have a very slow HDD as O.S drive.

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Smough

You will never convince me that SSD is faster than RAM. Thus if Superfetch has cached an app data into RAM app will start much more faster than from SSD.
    Another question - does Superfetch work good...

19. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Superfetch is now called SysMain for those who can't find it in 1903

20. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I am not so sure it is automatically disabled either as the folder " C:\Windows\Prefetch" is kept up to date with data.
    I tested it with edited reg values and auto>manual on the sysmain service never noticed any negative issues (cpu% or memory footprint).

PS: I am on an SSD for the boot drive (C:\) and extra data on the second HDD, so my findings might be squeed
    Also win10 removed the reg key "EnableSuperfetch"
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019