Remedy lowers the PC requirements for Control

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Remedy has revised the final PC requirements for Control. What’s really interesting here is that the team has lowered both the recommended and the RTX requirements....

Remedy lowers the PC requirements for Control

386SX likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They menaged to to put RX580 from minimum to recommended req? Strange.

Where is that guy now who said that original req ware not that high. :D

3. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    Can you smell it? Downgrade....

4. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    "Code optimization" more likely. People with lower hardware are now able to play at higher resolutions. That's a good thing, no?

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Yay,I can play it now!

signex and KissSh0t like this.
  6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Thats some pretty impressive code optimisation dude, literally the old minimum specs are now the recommended specs. Thats an insane speed increase. It was saying for minimum you needed at least an RX580 or GTX1060 and for recommended saying you needed at 1080Ti or 2080Ti for RT. That is just insane, its as if they completely rewrote the game from scratch or have simply downgraded the graphics.... OR they just released completely stupid specs to try and hype their game up before release. Something smells here.

toyo, 386SX, mohiuddin and 2 others like this.
  7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Windows 7 as well now too :p

airbud7 likes this.
  8. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    yep, it's definetely downgrade, it can't be just optimization for such a difference

signex likes this.
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It didn't look that good to begin with. Also very generic npc interaction.
    Actually that was the worst part and why I won't be playing this bs. :p

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Looks the same to me.

11. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    this is e3 2019 video, it needs to be compared with e3 2018 video to see if really there is a downgrade

12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Well this is a fascinating turn of events. I'm still gonna wait a few days watching/reading performance reviews before I pull the trigger.

airbud7 likes this.
  13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    We've seen games go from 20fps before release to 80 fps on the same hardware at release to 100 fps after a few patches after release. Again all on the same hardware.

So to say optimizations don't happen, or aren't that big, and must be a downgrade, is pure nonsense.

There's no reason to claim "DOWNGRADE" unless you actually have evidence of a downgrade.

14. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    No, that is not a good thing. It's not code "optimization." I hate the word "optimization" in computing. Most gamers seem to think that you can just magically make things run on inferior equipment just by "optimizing." Nothing could be farther from the truth. The ugly truth is, if they lowered the standards required that means that they either lowered the quality or that they just arbitrarily chose to say it requires less while changing nothing.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So you're saying throughout all of gaming history there has never been a case where a developer comes up with a more optimal technique that either increases performance at the same visual level or increases visual fidelity while maintaining performance?...

So compare it? Looks the same to me in both the E3 demos and actual gameplay footage. So I'm not sure why you're shouting downgrade with literally no proof.

Ricardo, Netherwind and yasamoka like this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry but this is just wrong. You're implying that any way to do a certain "thing" is as optimized as any other way to do it. That's not how code works, you can make code that produces HL1 graphics be impossible to play on current hardware.

If coding was as easy as "make this work" rather then "Make this work efficiently", then not only would we have a ton less bugs, but there'd be no reason for any difference in code between games and technologies.

That's not to say that all "optimizations" from a game point of view isn't because they lowered graphics quality, for instance, i would definitely consider code that only produces what you see on screen rather then producing everything in the world all the time as an optimization, whereas someone else could technically say that's a "lowered graphics" option since it's technically not producing as much, but to the end user, if they get better performance, and never have an issue with what they are actually seeing, how is that not optimization?

Again that's only one thing, but beyond that, there are DEFINITELY optimized code out there, not all code is the same, and not all code runs at the same performance.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    More people being able to play the game is a good news.

Won't bother speculating on how they pulled it of. Maximum settings requirements could have stayed the same for all we know.

Unless i'm disappointed with the visuals of the game (and i pretty much doubt it'll happen!) i won't bother spending my brain power on this :eek:

MerolaC likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Remedy isn't ubisoft.

19. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    It's like a deep philosophical question, is it a downgrade, if nobody sees the difference? :D

20. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    don't fear, youtube will do the comparison SOON