Review: ASUS RoG Swift PG35VQ Monitor - 200 Hz - 512 Local Dimming Zones

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 2, 2019.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    decreases the color bit to 4:2:0

2. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    2750USD riiiighhht
    for less money you can have a 55" oled tv that beats everything in this universe in picture quality https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled
    those gaming monitors are as ethical as micro-transactions for the so-called "whales" in the gaming world
    despicable really, nothing explains those prices especially not quality as they all have awful problems, I bought and returned 4 monitors (Acer,LG,Asus,Benq) already they all had something wrong, weird artifacts, motion blur, inverse ghosting etc...Igave up for at least 5 years or for when my current one dies

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    There's nothing unethical about setting a high price for a luxury product, please nag elsewhere.

4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    1st as explained I actually bought 4 of those "luxury" products and the quality was so bad that for me it's a scam, if you bought a car with the kind of defects those monitors have you could easily sue, they know they are selling you defective products, either you never bought one of those monitors or you don't know what to look for
    it's also well known that they change panels in the product lifetime so what they send to people for reviews is rarely what a customer buys 6 months later, sometimes it's better and they fix stuff sometimes they just use cheaper panels instead, the important information here is that you don't always know what you'll get, I don't know many "markets" where they are so bold to do stuff like this

2nd a luxury product ? I guess it depends on your perspective, there are hmmm 7 Porsches in my street plus 2-3 BMW M3,4 plus 1 Nissan GT-R I don't own a car that expensive but clearly we don't have the same notion of what luxury means I talked to the nissan guy he had to change his transmission it broke on a race track, it cost him 15'000usd cough cough ><

5. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    € 2.719?!?!?!
    I could get a 65" QLED 4K 240Hz HDR1500 with direct full array local dimming and FreeSync for less!

fOrTy_7 likes this.
  6. Bansaku

Bansaku Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64
    While not unethical, it is grossly overpriced for what you get. ASUS is well known to charge a premium on their gear just because it has RoG in the branding, giving users the illusion of them getting the best of the best whereas in reality most of the features are ones no gamer uses and for the overall quality of the product there have been cheaper Chinese or Korean brands that offer the same panels and base features for a fraction of the cost. But hey, if one wan't to blow their cash on such a monitor, so be it. Capitalism at it's finest!

7. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Well, at least that pricetag ensures that noone with a cheap rig buys one of them and then complains he doesn't get those 200 FPS :D

8. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Link to TV with 4k 240hz input ;)

For me this 3440x1440 monitor is worth more than any TV. I use only monitors, not TV's

We need new gpu's thst support the new inputstandard. Full 4:4:4 is what we want.

I'm currently using LG 950f 3440x1440 (144hz)freesync.

9. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    nice & honest review Boss.
    as always, overpriced from Asus.

10. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Guest

GPU:
    N/A
    But... But... But is doesn't have 1000€ worth G-sync Ultimate FPGA module. Nor it has internal fan, for that superior cooling. A true gaming monitor must have a cooling fan... And don't forget about cutting-egde suppa duppa craaappa Asus Aura LED sync :D

11. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Freesync 2 is nowhere close to performance and quality of GSYNC Ultimate.

yasamoka likes this.
  12. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    All TVs do 4:4:4, what are you talking about? Im using OLED as my monitor from 2016 and it supports RGB 4:4:4: and Chroma sub-sampling 4:4:4 and HDR 4:2:2 and 4:2:0

13. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You only pay 250USD ASUS premium, Acer Predator x35 which is the same thing using same panel and has same features is 2500$
    If you go down, AOC AGON AG353UCG is estimated 1800-2200 EUR, so its tad cheaper then ACER but AOC is not the same quality ac ACER.
    As far as I understand, ACER should be the best since they make the panels.

14. maddog55

maddog55 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 G PLUS
    i struggle on by with 165 hz PG27B monitor ;)

15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Read what I wrote, and try again...

16. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Va panel no thanks, still to slow in dark tansitions compared to IPS and TN.
    To top it off it has a fan inside the monitor.....no, just no.

17. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Oh man, this is the monitor I have been waiting for but that price tag....no freakin way. I spent $1000 on my current monitor and that was already too expensive but $2700? Hard pass.

18. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    I'm glad these expensive monitors are coming out because it gets the ball rolling on proper HDR coming to the mass market. You know how this works. The technology only gets better and prices will drop big time for a similar or better experience that what the first generation offers. In a couple years we may all be very surprised at the HDR experience we may get for our money.

19. JAMF72

JAMF72 Member

GPU:
    Rx480/ 8GB
    Local dimming has value, but it needs more zones. With that screen res, a single LED/zone is lighting almost 10k pixels (30k subpixels). Not nearly enough.

Those that wouldn't use an OLED screen for gaming: Don't play the same game all year, so the interface/HUD has no opportunity to burn in. You're afraid your windows will burn in? 1: game more, 2: turn on auto-hide for the task bar, 3: game more. Did I mention that you should have a higher game-to-desktop ratio? ;)

Question on the 240Hz TV: does that TV do real 240Hz, or is it the fake Hz from interpolation? Ah, never mind, I'm a wide screen gamer anyway, so I'm more interested in the 32:9 1440p freesync monitors, like the C49RG90 from Samsung.

20. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    LG's upcoming monitor has good specs and a decent price but I'd wait for reviews and user reports to see how it actually ends up.