B350 motherboard with a X3900

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Aura89, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

I don't know if this is relevant to the voltages you are seeing or not.

2. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    one thing that's interesting to note is that they are recommending us to use the Ryzen Balanced power plan again but only with the 3k chips.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks for sharing, again, good to know stuff there and on your previous post.

4. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I've just ordered an Asus X570-E Gaming. I don't plan to do any OC apart from letting it automatically do it with boost and what not but will have to keep eye out on voltages and go set it manually myself or something too.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    OH?

I do have NZXT CAM running and MSI AB also which have monitoring of certain values. CAM for instance doesn't read the CPU temp correctly and just reads 50C all the time lol and MSI AB has no temp read out at all, it seems to need an update.

I will try and set the voltage back to stock and use the Ryzen Power Profile as I have been using the Balance profile. That's interesting to see that this contains the "magic" scheduler fix that Windows 1903 brings or is this different?

6. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    According to that post it does in fact contain the “magic” fix

7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

Tested in an A320 board now, still works, which is surprising to me. Gimps it a bit though.

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thought I'd share this here versus starting a new thread or using the sticky thread:

ordered a 3800X, I'll update here how the switch goes once I get it installed.

ASRock has only AGESA 1.0.0.1 based BIOSes for X370 available so far so might have some issues initially. I understand 1.0.0.3AB is the newest one?

@CPC_RedDawn @Aura89
    which AGESA version do you have for your mobo?

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ABB is newest.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Using the latest BIOS on my Crosshair Hero VI

HWInfo shows this:
    BIOS Version: 7201
    AMD AGESA Version: Combo-AM4 1.0.0.2

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Right.

Thanks, so Asus has a BIOS with newer AGESA available than ASRock.

Well as long as I can boot and use my system normally I'm good, until ASRock provides newer AGESA BIOS.

I understood earlier revisions had problems with CPUs not boosting properly.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    CPU boosts fine, and even higher than normal with stock settings to 4.65GHz. However I do have some issues, sometimes when cold booting the motherboard will get stuck on post code C5, indicating a memory issue. A quick power off and on again fixes it. Its pretty rare though in this latest BIOS release, the previous BOIS release had it happening way more often and that revision broke mouse support in the UEFI too. This revision things are much more stable.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    There is a 7302 bios for that board of which i am using. It uses 1.0.0.3.AB AGESA.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112279-X370-X470-AGESA-1003AB-Bioses

From using it the last couple of days i have had zero issues other then: Long boot times compared to before 3000 series support, which isn't a huge issue and probably affects all 3000 series bios', but maybe not.

RAM runs great, no crashes, no oddities. Mouse and keyboard work in BIOS. So far so good.

There may even be a 7303 and 7304 but i don't know what the "07" fix is or what the issue was

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112279-X370-X470-AGESA-1003AB-Bioses/page23#post779329

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Wow! Thanks bro, didn't think of checking the forums for bios updates, I only check the support pages. Cheers, I will test this out later.

Aura89 likes this.
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well 3800X is up and running. Inital results are... not good.

The CPU is fine (I hope, see further down) but dear is the ASRock BIOS crap! I simply cannot POST with memory on anything other than bog standard 2133.
    For reference these modules worked out-of-the-box with XMP on my first gen Ryzen so quite a downgrade there.

Tried setting memory speed manually, both from OC Tweaker setting and the new AMD Overclocking area under Advanced (contains all the new stuff like PBO it seems).
    Tried setting Infinity Fabric speed manually / separately, didn't help. Also now SOC voltage must be set from Advanced, the OC Tweaker setting does nothing anymore it seems... etc.

The system has crashed at least 5 times trying to go past POST (when Windows should start loading). Could be me going in and out of BIOS all the time though I suppose.

Finally HWInfo claims my CPU is an engineering sample for chrissakes:

[​IMG]

Could you guys check with HWInfo what you get?

I haven't even tried a single benchmark or game as this seems to be a struggle. I really hope ASRock get their sh*t together and release a better / newer AGESA BIOS.

On the positive side multiple cores boost to 4.5+ GHz on the desktop! Lols...

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I have a 3800x as well, and it boosts to 4.5Ghz on most cores (i think all but 3 at the same time)

That being said, HWInfo states mine is an engineering sample as well, it's probably an issue with HWInfo

[​IMG]

AsiJu likes this.
  17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Well ASRock finally released a AGESA 1003ABB BIOS for my mobo yesterday. Flashed and all issues gone.
    Memory runs without a hitch with XMP enabled,no bootloops or crashes and system was fully stable (played RAGE 2 for about 2 hrs).

Highest boost clock seems to be a tad lower now (I've seen this mentioned quite often) but doesn't matter, max. attained clock on single core was 4525 MHz according to AB logs.

During gaming (RAGE 2 / Vulkan) I seem to get a pretty much consistent all core boost of 4.3+ GHz which is very nice.
    I'll much rather take that than higher one or two core boosts every now and then.

Everything at stock still except memory XMP enabled, haven't tried PBO or manual overclocking.
    AMD recommended keeping PBO off for the time being I think, until 100 % final and bug free AGESA (1004?) is out.

From the little I got to try I already saw an improvement. RAGE 2 isn't very CPU heavy but properly threaded so loads all cores.
    My minimum framerates were notably higher now, I know a certain spot where framerate used to drop from usual around 100+ average to 75 ... 80. Now it kept 100+ there too.

So GPU can maintain max. load better now (144 Hz VRR monitor so GPU usage is near maxed all the time). I expect to see even better results with less optimally threaded games.

Aura89 likes this.