PREY (2017) | Prey 2 [Cancelled]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, Mar 12, 2011.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Still the only thing that really bothers me about the game is the name. Imagine Bethesda putting out another Doom game that had absolutely nothing to do with the original story. It doesn't make sense. Plus now I have two games in my Steam library with the exact same name which is annoying.

The game was pretty good though. It's more like Deus Ex than anything.

AsiJu likes this.
  2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Actually, the only theme Human Head (and 3D Realms) had in relation to the name was the idea of hunter versus prey.
    An idea that is continued in this title.

HH actually talked with 3D Realms about changing the name of the original Prey, wanting something that fit the Native American theme of the game more. But, those talks didn't go very far.... or last very long.
    The title Prey simply comes from you are being hunted by this alien threat. And, that is still a current theme in this new game.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Much thanks yous guys!

Me thinks to gets this :D

4. Software Junkie

Software Junkie Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Both games also share the same "Prey" directory, so you have both games files all mixed up together! Who thought that was a good idea?

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Probably because the original game was removed from the store. Which is a shame because that is the better game in my opinion and many people never played it.

6. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    This is one of the best games I have played in a long time! Hope they make more games like this...

Kaleid likes this.
  7. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    2K pulled the game from Steam when they ran out of keys to sell.

Because 2K never manufactured keys for Steam in the first place. Prey was originally released supporting a digital distribution service called Triton. But, shortly after the game's release, Triton went bankrupt, and uses weren't able to access their game.
    So, in an effort to correct the issue, 2K added all the game's keys to Steam. So users who had purchased it through Triton could still download and play the game.
    But, they never created any additional keys.

So, during one of the Steam holiday sales, Prey sold out of keys and was removed from the store.
    I see people constantly saying that Bethesda needs to put it back up on Steam... but, that's not solely their call. 2K holds publishing rights to the original Prey. Bethesda would need to work out a deal with 2K to get the original game back out there.
    Similar to how Bethesda would need to work something out with Activision for the 2009 Wolfenstein.

8. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    You can still find Steam keys available for purchase. I bought one last year for $6 off G2A. I never use that website, but I wanted to play the original Prey, so I made an exception.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Any retail boxed copy will activate on Steam. I had the original collectors edition and registered mine. So if you can't find a key on one of those sites you can always buy a boxed copy from Amazon or somewhere and activate it that way.
    Eventually they will be all gone though.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yep that's what happens to games that are discontinued. Wolfenstein 2009 is absurdly expensive too on PC yet you can find xbox360 versions for dirt cheap

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    I don't understand the confusion, buyitnowbooksoz2010 is obviously an a**hole who can go die in a fire. I especially like the little banner saying "quality software at an affordable price."

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If people are willing to pay it, then you would be stupid to not sell it at that price.

I also picked this up the original game from a key website, great game. I also wanted Wolfenstein 2009, but as mentioned the retail discs are expensive and keys not as easy to come by as Prey.

14. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Well, the "quality software" line is something done by "Sold Out Software". That buyitnowbooks guy is reselling a copy he bought from somewhere else.

But, it's to be expected. People will spend the money on it, so... naturally... people will keep pushing the price a little higher and higher.
    I'm extremely grateful that I pre-ordered Prey when it released in 2006. Same with Wolfenstein 2009.

It's sad that situations like this happen, but, you never know how well a publisher/developer deal will hold out.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Some of the abandoned games on Steam or de-listed or how to say due to licensing issues also sold for a ton for a while, Mafia 1 went for upwards of 700 US Dollar I think though with some of the Steam marketplace pricing for digital only items in a few games running at 1000 USD or above I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. :D

EDIT: Around 675$ after re-checking.
    https://www.steamgifts.com/discussi...-mafia-1-stubbs-the-zombie-cryostasis-descent

Mafia 1 returned onto Steam recently I believe but there's several other pulled titles though I am a bit unsure what the current prices are for these.

http://removed.timekillerz.eu/games.php
    (Just a list of games pulled from Steam, some due to licensing other due to issues such as the developers behavior.)

Redemption80 likes this.

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thanks for that list Jonas, went through it all there and more than once I went "awww" is that gone now?

I remember Damien alerting us that Deadpool was being removed, which I was disappointed in missing, but I see the Transformers games are also gone.
    Also see that the original versions of Metro 2033/Last Light and DeusEX have been removed in favour of the (allegedly inferior) Redux/DC versions.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah, at least Steam lets existing owners keep these games and even the process of deleting a game is more like hiding it and can be reversed at any time. *
    Bundles and sites selling keys such as Amazon or GreenManGaming to list two authorized sellers will also still work even if the store page on Steam is no longer available, community forums tend to stay up too.

* That would be this to explain how it works:
    https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=X&issueid=123

With X being the Steam application ID of the game in question such as 209340 for Ride to Hell to take a game that well there's little doubt it's a bad one. :p
    https://steamdb.info/app/209340/

Which you then get asked to confirm but even then it can always be reversed even if it looks to be final.
    (Just repeat the process and take the option to undo it.)

Though since it's not refunded it's often simpler to just hide the game in question in the Steam client than to remove it like this. :)

EDIT: And yeah Activision in particular and licensed games don't go well together, even if the sales aren't especially poor it seems they rarely renew these so the games are lost.
    (I missed picking up the fairly good Wolverine game before it was pulled.)

(EDIT: Which after looking through the above list maybe was never on Steam in the first place, whoops.)

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Big update coming down for this as well now, 1.2GB!

19. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    For some reason I missed this game when it came out. You can see the System Shock 2 influences as well as Thief. Finally a more complex game that requires a bit thought, and I thought the mimic concept was terrific, quite an original idea that can lead to a few scary situations.

Yes, I know the topic is old, but I looked it up just for this reason. The game is stellar, and we do need more games like this. I'm far more interested here than say Far Cry or Dishonored.

Duke Nil likes this.
  20. doktor1

doktor1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Finished it while ago...
    Also moded and game looks great...

Gallery

[​IMG]

Kolt and serbicu like this.