ASUS 300 and 400 AM4 Motherboards Fully Support AMD Ryzen 3000 Processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Huggi

Huggi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX Vega 64
    I noticed a month ago that the latest BIOS for my Crosshair VI Hero (WiFi-ac) was only just over 10MB in size. Makes me wonder why MSI and other vendors have BIOSes that are filling up their 16MB chips...

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats just the rom image, the firmware requires more than this in operation.

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    So Asus is really there for customer care and upgrades, but the X570 loses Bristol Ridge, and Ryzen 1 support ?
    The B450 only loses Bristol Ridge, and all the others are fine.
    What is so different about the X570 Bios that they have to kill two whole processor lines ?

Its a niche case for a Ryzen 1 owner to get an X570, but if he's upgrading to Ryzen 3xxx series, he might want to use the Ryzen 1 to update the Bios ? Or Wait until the X3900/3950 shows itself ?

Wonder what the size of their X570 Bios chip is....
    (I have an Asus B450M Pro-Gaming....not flinging poo at Asus for the kicks ;))

edit : As Huggi rightly states below, X570 was never intended to have Ryzen 1 or Bristol Ridge. My bad brain fart, complete bollox.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its probably not economical to test cpu's that would never be used in an x570.

all x570's come with cpu support for 3k chips, how good or bad it is is just a matter of the agesa version.

6. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    Good job Asus.

7. Huggi

Huggi Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX Vega 64
    So downloaded file is basically compressed? To be honest, I don't really know how BIOS installation works... I just download the file, flash it, then use it.
    In any case, it seems that ASUS doesn't have the BIOS size issues that some other manufacturers have had which is a good thing for ASUS users I guess.

I'm fairly certain that's not ASUS' fault since it was AMD who decided not to include Ryzen 1000 series support on the X570 chipset. Every X570 motherboard, regardless of brand, has this issue.

Evildead666 likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    old bios were a small flash rom with a battery backed cmos chip for settings storage

uefi is a firmware package that runs like its own mini os, and while some settings may still get stored in a chip that can have its battery removed, there are other parts of it that are saved to the Flash chip and also that log aspects of the uefi itself.

asus for instance save their oc profiles onto the flash rom so that cmos clears don't wipe them entirely.

9. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Yeah, a complete fu*k up on my part.

Was reading a computing mag in the train on the way home after a b'stard day at work, and there was the AMD slide with the chipsets, and X570 not having Ryzen 1 or Bristol Ridge.
    It had slipped my memory.

I have become my worst enemy, lol :)

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    well this further confirms that ASUS software team is doing a better job, in my experience gigabyte's interface is a disgrace and even buggy with sleep states, but then asus has this driver rootkit thing...

rl66 likes this.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    As a Gigabyte X370 K7 owner I have to agree. At least i'm not in the BIOS allto often because its a non-intuitive pain. With that said it has been rock stable.

12. Alvin Widiawan

Alvin Widiawan Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 2GB
    yeah, i've try to installing R5 3600 on Asus A320 (after updated BIOS to 5007), it works very stable, good performance not too different compare to X570 motherboard,,good job Asus

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    I agree, clear bios are ASUS and MSI (more bling bling but as good), Gigabyte are average and Asrock are a bit messy despite it work fine... For the last 2 it doesn't mean bad quality of the motherboard that are very good, only less nice bioses.