Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Who does the ASUS blower card comes from? AMD or ASUS? Who do you have warranty against? AMD or ASUS?

Cooling solution is clearly sufficient. Assembly may not be perfect. Card with blower sent by AIB is responsibility of that AIB same way as custom AIB card.

AMD's responsibility is to ensure blower rpm ramp-up to provide adequate rpm to given temperature. Then their responsibility is vBIOS fail-safe for overheating that actually does kick in.
    But as along as card is assembled correctly, those 43% of RPM are clearly sufficient to keep card's thermals in check.
    But poorly assembled card that has not been check for assembly issues could overheat even with 100% RPM on blower.

2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I think cooling should be an non issue just slap an aio cooler on it,if your anal about it
    or you can wait for an aib card with a aio on it and pay $150 more:D

airbud7 likes this.
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looks like issues par for the course.

4. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    No it's not an AMD side problem, it's people who don't understand what these reference cards are.
    They are not for us, the enthusiast, these are designed for OEMs like Dell and apple who insist on putting powerful cards in cramped cases with little to no airflow. Hot air must be expelled from these cases. You will not see AMD drop these coolers anytime soon.

Look at these cards as an early glimpse before our cards arrive. The aib cards.

The fan not ramping isnt great, I agree wholeheartedly, but it will be fixed.

My asus 290x has been running at 90°+ for years. Never had an issue FWIW.
    I can switch bios to make it run cooler (and slower) if I want. It's never bothered me.

5. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    Good point actually, I hadn't thought about that :)

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    You still end-up with it being an AMD problem. Usage scenario is irrelevant. If the fan curve isn't aggressive enough, then, there'll be inadequate cooling. These kind of problems are usually fixed in software (driver). People need to stop defending these kind of issues just because it's AMD. It's not like Nvidia haven't had this kind of issue before.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not everyone has that => assembly issue. Even with blower at max, badly assembled card will have heat dissipation trouble.
    Same applies to HD 7970 I used to have. I did slap Accelero Xtreme on it and it was fine. But in cousin's PC, years of weight on one side pushed TIM away from between GPU and heatpipes. Resulted in overheating issue and need to repaste.

8. platypus

platypus Guest

GPU:
    some asus 290x
    Ok you're having a go at the fan profiles and not the cooler itself. My mistake.

Yep I agree, its embarrassing for them, this stuff should not be happening.
    Happens too much in the gaming world, software that needs patching on release day. Does nobody test anymore?

9. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Let's not assume this issue only applies to badly assembled coolers.

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Many get their panties twisted when Nvidia has an exclusive feature, dunno why. To me, any new tech is welcome. Let the consumer decide what they want from their graphics card and base their purchase on that.

Or, ideally, let's see these features be implemented by both with time.

Aura89 likes this.

11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    why are you comparing AUS pricing to US pricing when average person in AUS has twice the income of average person in US?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Customers aren't doing that though. Those buying a 2080 Ti aren't doing it for its exclusive features (RTX), there is simply no other alternative at this point in terms of absolute performance. RTX (or lack thereof) is hardly a factor in purchasing decisions - nobody cares about a feature that will nearly halve their FPS (no matter how shiny the reflections are).

If AMD came out with a 2080 Ti competitor for much cheaper (say, $700) but it did not have DXR, I doubt a single person would care about the lack of ray-tracing. Similarly, if Nvidia released a GTX 1680 Ti that was just as fast as a RTX 2080 Ti for $700, it would sell like hotcakes (directly at the expense of the 2080 Ti).

13. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    I said let the consumer decide what they want from their purchase. Be it RTX, be it great performance to dollar at $300, be it budget gpu. People are free to do whatever they want.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then assume cause of thermal issue for me. What else do you really think is secondary cause?

15. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Umm because the point I was making wasn't how much more we pay vs US but how much more the NV card is charged here relative to the AMD cards if using the US RRP as basis? You might want to read my comment again.

16. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You pay exactly 42% more on both, you might want to check your maths.

If I was to be anal, you actually pay 42.4% more on Nvidia and 42.9% more on AMD. Not sure if you're trolling.

17. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    What? 2070 Super RRP in the US is 25% dearer than 5700XT RRP (499/399 = 1.25) but over here it's 42% more (939/659 = 1.42). I just got out of bed am I confused?

BTW average income doesn't mean much without taking into account such a thing as "cost of living"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Minimum wage in USA: $7.25 USD, $10.55 AUD
    Minimum wage Australia: $13.39 USD, $19.49 AUD

Difference in minimum wage: 84.69% increase in favor of Australia

Comparison to cost of living:

From https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...jsp?country1=United+States&country2=Australia

Consumer Prices in Australia are 2.29% higher than in United States
    Consumer Prices Including Rent in Australia are 3.13% lower than in United States
    Rent Prices in Australia are 13.47% lower than in United States
    Restaurant Prices in Australia are 0.22% higher than in United States
    Groceries Prices in Australia are 0.48% lower than in United States
    Local Purchasing Power in Australia is 0.76% lower than in United States

This one shows a bit more detailed information and possibly more accurate information.
    https://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Australia/United-States/Cost-of-living

Nowhere does it show that it cost 84.69% more to live in Australia, in fact, it rarely gets even close to that. That's realistically the issue that people have with australians always complaining about their prices, as i guarantee you, most people in the USA would rather get paid almost twice as much, and have items cost 20-30% more then they are now.

Now, obviously this only applies to the generalized "idea" of australia and USA, different cities, and states, and territories will ofcourse drastically change this information. For the USA the issue is many states go by the national minimum wage, which hasn't changed since 2009, whereas the australian minimum wage has increased about 25% in the same timeframe.

What you don't see in this forum and most forums more often then not though, is USA people complaining about minimum wage or prices "because we live in the USA" (i'm not saying USA people don't complain about minimum wages, it's a big debate over here, i'm strictly talking about this forum and forums like this)

As to the prices you listed here:

RTX 2070 Super MSRP USD $499, AUD $727 conversion, with $860 listed from multiple australian websites as the RRP

Here's a RTX 2070 Super for $865 AUD, exceptionally close to the RRP which depending on how you want to classify it, it's either pretty much exactly on price, or %19 more expensive then the USA. I'd gladly make 84.69% more to spend %19 more on my graphics card. (Plus i think this includes tax for australians? It doesn't for the USA, which ofcourse will depend on what state you are in)

RX 5700 XT MSRP is $399, AUD $580.62 conversion, with $629 listed from multiple austrlian websites as the RRP

Here's the cheapest RX 5700 XT i could find for $679 AUD which depending on how you want to classify it, it's either 8% more expensive then the RRP, or 17% more expensive then the USA. Again, gladly get paid 84.69% more to spend $17% more on my graphics card.

But serious question here: Do you prices include the 10% tax? Everywhere i've looked says yes, that australian advertised prices have to include taxes

https://www.business.gov.au/products-and-services/fair-trading/displaying-prices

which states: "The total price must include all charges, taxes, duties, levies or fees (such as Goods & Services Tax (GST) or airport tax)"

So if that's correct, your numbers look even worse, as ours don't, and our taxes can range from 0% in states that have income-tax (which realistically means it's not 0%, but rather 0.9%-13.3% depending on the state and bracket you're in) to 12.875% depending on what sales tax state and city you are in.

So if yours do include tax, take 10% out of them to compare, and you're looking at cheaper products in australia, to 7-9% more expensive, again while making 84.69% more.

So what's the point of all of this?

Australians, stop complaining about your prices, the only people who will feel sorry for you is people who don't do even the smallest amount of research. You make 84.69% more on minimum wage then people in the USA do, from a country standpoint, and no one is going to feel sorry after seeing that, and seeing cost of living differences, that you end up paying 0%-20% more on electronics, especially since your prices appear to include tax. Australians are the 2nd most wealthly per adult in the world. As well, you have the 2nd highest minimum wage in the world. Stop complaining.

19. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Ok, last time I am going to post on this matter.

The price I listed was the cheapest price I could find OVER TWO WEEKS AGO. So prices obviously have been adjusted since then, which is great and as it should be! I even made the statement originally that the prices were so high to begin with maybe as a way for retailers to clear non Super stock. I have not checked since then because I am not upgrading my graphics card right now.

With regards to cost of living: I've never been to the US so I can't say for sure, but based on what my friends say when they visited US for holidays they always have a ball and buy heaps of things and eat heaps of food because they've always found it cheaper to shop and eat; that's all I am going off. I could also throw it back and compare cost of owning a house in Australia even just in the suburbs.

Wage wise yes you guys have much lower minimum wage which I have no problem acknowledging, but it is also customary to tip; I know that's not guaranteed income but tipping is just not a thing in Australia so the numbers might be closer than you think.

Finally, I replied to metagamer originally only because he was saying I was trying to complain that we pay more in Australia compared to the US, to which I stated I clearly wasn't. I was using US prices as a basis to compare how much more the 2070S cards are being charged compared to the 5700XT prices here making the 5700XT a bargain and the 2070S a ripoff.

Some of you's really need to take it chill pill. I'm done.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    @Aura89 thanks for putting the effort into this. It really is tiring seeing people complain about prices in AUS. I'll just throw in some eastern European countries, where a 5700xt costs 2 months salary for many people. And I'm sure there's parts of the world that have it even worse, where you basically work to pay bills and put food on the table and have nothing spare left.. So the complaining coming out of Australia (and NZ) really winds me up every time I see it. You don't have it bad guys.

Aura89 likes this.