Fix game stutter on Win 10 1703-1809

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Exostenza, Apr 3, 2018.

1. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @Wagnard Are you suggesting we stick with the 250 ms polling rate? By default is 500 ms?

2. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    Technically it is best to use the highest setting that work for you. Try the highest (1000), if no issue while gaming than its ok. If you still have stutter from time to time, try 500.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Thank you! While the GUI doesn't support showing the longer timer values, it still works perfectly. After a full day of running it has only used 5.8 sec of CPU time (0.00067 sec per memory check).

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I used that value for testing purposes only, though it seems to work fine.
    You may experiment with different ones but at some point, it just doesn't matter to go to slow on polling as far as CPU usage goes.

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    @Wagnard Your ISLC is working really well for me. I have one request, however.
    It would be nice if you could split the "Auto start monitoring" part that creates the task to it's own button instead of having it in the combined "Start the app minimized" checkbox. That way users could use a custom task/won't have to edit the existing task when we upgrade to a new version of ISLC. I like to change some things about the default task ISLC creates, like disabling the default Stop task when it runs for 3 days (handy if you have a longer system uptime than that), etc..

I do like that idea, ASS or not. ;)

6. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    I Added more value that we can select for next version.

Added for the next version.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  7. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    @AveYo

For ISLC 1.0.1.4 (will release later)

ISLC command lines:
    -minimized --> Start ISLC minimized and auto-start monitoring
    -polling "your value without quote" --> Set the Memory polling Rate(ms) for ISLC
    -listsize "your value without quote" --> Purge Standbylist when list size is at this value
    -freememory "your value without quote" --> Purge Standbylist when freememory is at this value+
    -runonce --> will poll only 1 time and then exit.
    ----
    -listsize and -freememory work in pair. if both are not specified, it will take the default value in the config file.

Example of usage: -minimized -polling 500 -listsize 1024 -freememory 1024 -runonce

Edit: Released.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    SpajdrEX likes this.
  8. AveYo

AveYo Member

GPU:
    8800GS 384MB
    That's great! Will play with it once I finish my 3 days trip back home ;)

9. moaka

moaka Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    You are my hero ,i'm a battlefield player update 1607 to 1903 and had micro sutter at every game , same happening with 1703 and more versions higher than 1607 , now after 1h of BFV stutter is gone really thanks nice Job guy(s)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Cool!
    And I say welcome for all guys here who participated in development.

Hemisfear, eGGroLLiO and SpajdrEX like this.

11. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Those that use Process Lasso, the latest beta (9.2.0.55 beta) now has stadbylist trimming integrated into smart trim.
    To enable just standby list clearing in Smarttrim options, "enable smart trim" with the "on action" settings of disabling "working set" and enabling "purge standby list and system file cache"
    Then just set polling value to what you want and purge trigger amount (good starting point IMO is 1min/1024mb)
    Note
    The performance mode/game mode only option is not yet fully functional in this beta.

Any feedback is welcome here or Bitsum forum.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @EdKiefer

Btw, I made my own version of Process Lasso, but for advanced gurus who can write cool PowerShell plugins. It was more of educational project, I made a huge experience with it, and I got one devoted user who pushed me to implement strange plugins for his extravagant ideas.

13. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, cool
    Process Lasso 9.2.0.57 beta now standby list purge only in performance/game mode is working.

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Wonderful tool, you are a PC gaming savior. Your program made the game that was making me go nuts (Middle Earth: Shadow Of War) so insanely smooth that I can't actually believe it. 60 fps with a FLAT 16.6 ms frametime line, no stutter, no RTSS needed. The Task Scheduler method did work, but not like this, SoW was never smooth, but with your program, holy sh**. Felt like the good old days with Windows 7 which didn't have this problem. I got to the point that I believed I had a hardware failure due to the cuts I was having in games, even switching my RAM's from positions. Only your tool truly worked.

15. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I've been out of this loop/thread for a bit, and have been seeing a LOT of talk about ISLC so I decided to download it and give it a go myself since I've had some stutter issues myself.

First of all.. there's a lot of clutter and discussion here to sift through (30 pages worth), so I apologize if this has been answered before.. I sifted through all pages worth of discussion but wasn't able to find an absolute answer to satisfy me, and I feel like it might help others as that may be curious as well. What is the best use of this program for the typical power user? @Wagnard How do you suggest your typical Guru with your typical W10 stutter use this software? Should we "Start ISLC minimized and auto-start monitoring" and leave it at the default 1024 size? Should we create a task and let the tool run as admin after reboot, and allow it to free the standby list @ 1024? Or should we just be purging the standby list once in a while manually IF we start to experience issues and if the list is too large?

Or do you recommend that the typical user without outstanding stutter issues to just not worry about using ISLC?

I scoured a bit here and was able to pick up a lot of pieces of how this 'should be used', but for the sake of understanding and clarification and for anyone else who might stumble across this.. what's the best method to use this tool?

Apologies again if this was answered.

16. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    You're going to get varied responses from users as it seems to affect systems differently depending on HW, software, how long system is up and running, how much multi-tasking user does.
    My findings are 1024 is good value but the whole issue depending on the game and how long your in it the free memory will go to 0 and this can cause the stuttering until the standby gets released in Win10.
    So these programs release ahead of 0 value.

For me on my system and games I play I don't run into any issues until I am in the 3d world of a game for 1+hrs) but I don't play a lot of games, mainly BF4, BF1, and BFv.

17. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yeah that's why I've had a hard time understanding what the standard user should try out. For now I launch the program as admin and have the "Start minimized and auto-start monitoring" enabled along with task schedule. All other values default (1024) and 500 polling. I haven't tested it much yet though. I appreciate your response, thanks :)

EDIT: I removed the minimized flag and removed my manual task schedule as the software itself does both itself with a toggle. Both seem to work so far.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    It depends on how you want to use it, if you only want to fire it up before a game, then uncheck the options.thoughI would leave the top one enabled (Start ISLC minimized and auto-start monitoring)
    On the values 1024 is good one AFAIK, then use the longest time that works, for me the 10,000 ms(10 sec) works fine.

Kolt likes this.
  19. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Good idea, I'll scale it back to 10sec and go from there. I don't mind it living in the background to be honest. It seems really low on resources, especially if I'm bumping it up to 10sec polling.. and to be honest I'm lazy sometimes and just want to fire a game up. If it's in the background doing it's thing quietly and I can never have to worry about it.. then that's a huge plus! I'm pretty OCD about my computer resources so I'll keep a good eye on it and how it behaves and go from there.

Thanks for your tips man, I really appreciate it.

20. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Most people seem to be fine with the standard values at most PC configurations, I don't think changing the values would make a huge difference. If it removed the stutter on your games then I would not worry too much.

Kolt likes this.