Review:Gigabyte Aorus KD25F 240 Hz Monitor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Going from fast to faster, in this review, we will take a look at the Aorus KD25F gaming monitor. This 1920x1080 pixels sized monitor can do something very special and that would be refreshing at 240 ...

Review:Gigabyte Aorus KD25F 240 Hz Monitor

2. IchimA

IchimA Maha Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Asus TUF
    As you said , monitor reviews are the hardest , as they are subjective and every persons has they'r own opinion . Personally this monitor cost to much for what it offers but hey ... maybe 1 or 3 persons will buy one.

3. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I think that only a complete fool would buy a 1080p TN panel for this kind of money. Even if it was the best TN in the world.

maddog55 likes this.
  4. Hi everyone first post here from a long time lurker! I have the ASUS PG258Q and its a lovely screen similar to the Aorus and I do like it but you need some serious hardware to drive it to get the best from it! I run a i9900k @ 5.1Ghz all core oc and using a 2080Ti FE @1080p 240Hz i play alot of games but mainly FPS titles and even at 1080p trying to get 240 fps constant in most titles is a pain in the rear! For example Fortnite i can get well in excess of 450 fps in that title in certain areas of the map but I have it capped to 240 fps to match the 240Hz and you can really feel the difference in the way it plays but I never thought I would be able to see the difference between my old PG279Q (2k 165Hz IPS) and my current PG258Q and at first I didnt it was only when i went back to the PG279Q that i felt it, and it felt really slow LOL! Having had the PG258Q for a while now would I recommend it? Yes hell of a screen but you need some serious hardware to drive it, if I was to buy another screen now I think I would go for one which has quality and depth to an image aswell as high refersh rate and I would choose the ASUS PG279Q every day! Sadly now though my son uses the PG279Q (as i would steal it back in a heart beat) and he loves it and I can see why its a great all rounder and with his rig i5 9600k 5Ghz all core oc and using a 1080 FE @2k 165Hz hes running 165 fps constant its perfect for him and fortnite!

5. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    Slippery slope with monitors. You start increasing your resolution and Hz rate, and then you just can't go back. Next your upgrading the rest of your rig to compensate. Ignorance is bliss people.

6. Avalanche

Avalanche Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 1080
    Hey Hilbert, would you consider doing input lag, blur, ghosting/overshoot and pixel transition tests in your monitor reviews? As someone who owns an Alienware AW2518HF, I have to say that those tests were much more valuable to me than color accuracy when I was looking for a 240hz monitor.

Not all 240hz monitors are created equal, and there are some in the market that actually CAN'T display 240 frames per second because the pixels don't completely change colors fast enough, creating smearing artifacts...

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    @Hilbert Hagedoorn Freudian slip? "Aorus KD25F dies exactly what it's advertised for"

@IchimA I could see some people buying into this monitor but its going to be niche. For my own personal use I agree with you this not something I would spend this kind of money on. If we could get a high end 2K IPS panel with very good color accuracy with a 1000+ MiniLED backlight array I would jump on it.

8. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, it takes investments for relatively little monitor reviews. Next, to that, the time I need to spend on monitor reviews is already absurd. You can easily spend 5 workdays on a review.

9. vernon smith

vernon smith Guest

GPU:
    2080 ti
    F**K 1080 imo ;). This is my first post, love you Guru3d!

10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Fool is one who thinks that viewing angles and total color gamut is everything while giving emphasis on TN properties.
    My AW screen is TN. Color representation will never beat IPS like screens when it gets to static images. But once there is motion...
    Like movies or games, I'll take that always reduced color granularity over seeing ghosts of last frame. And at that, no IPS can beat this "not so well colored TN".

But I can say that in comparison to my old BenQ 144Hz TN screen, my new one is like 75% closer to IPS in terms of viewing angles and color.
    There is still color shift, and there is still possible to see gamma inversion. Except angles at which inversion starts are pretty unrealistic viewing angles.
    Maybe it is because this particular screen is still 24'' 1080p (240Hz) and pixels are rather large... which is not an issue for me.

As for the asking price, I would have to agree. For that price tag I would expect Freesync2 and HDR. Other than that, monitor does not look bad.

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Every IPS screen can show 24/25/30 frames per second without any problems or ghosting. Most TVs are IPS or VA panel based.

I have nothing against people that want to game on TN panels, but I do have a problem with misinformation that you tried to spread.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It does have those problems. Even when playing 30fps content on 60Hz, there is still that borderline frame where transition happens. Showing same frame twice saves nothing. Therefore having 30fps has no effect on GtG time as content changes. Ghosting in motion is still present on 30 fps. I can reiterate it again in other words, if it is needed.

When you talk about TVs, you know about black frame insertion and why it is done. And you surely know why those TVs with lovely colors are showcased with static and vivid images.

13. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well, you must have the crappiest IPS ever made. I don't have those issues. Never did.You can go to tftcentral.co.uk/ an read any test/review and see everything precisely measured and shown, down to phase flicker and non of the tested monitors had the issues you are talking about. Basically, YOU would need to provide proof because you are making extraordinary claims.

...sigh...even this is not true. They all have either the same TV channel or demo video running. I haven't seen a store with TVs with static images as demo in over....well never really.

It's done for the same reason it would be done on a TN panel TV....Even OLED TVs have them, it's just better.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Summarize that bold part for me, please. Or, I'll do it for you. GtG. At time it takes IPS to get mere GTG, not black-to-black, TN can show 3~4 frames. You are basically contesting my statement that IPS has ghosting. It does have it. (But, since you wrote about "issues", I expect you to write another one I mentioned.)

And motion... optimally slow motion to minimize visibility of any ghosting. Or minimal inclusion of high contrast zones.

3:30 is best guy could get out of it.
    I can read moving text on my screen.

We can go on and on, but you are still going to be wrong. IPS's ghosting at same price is worse than ghosting on TN. Hell, even at double price on IPS. In this example, it is more than 3 times the price.

Edit: And just so everyone understands:
    Having 120Hz IPS that shows ghosts forces brain to always process 2 frames at same time. (Never being sure if object moved in given direction or not, just assuming.)
    Basically performance only marginally better than ghost-less 60Hz due to having more refreshes per second, but all motion is coming with confusing data.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, but there's other sites that do very in depth monitor reviews, it's up to the website in question whether they wanna spend loads of time & money on monitor reviews. The info is out there somewhere on the web if you want to find it.

16. V3RT3X79

V3RT3X79 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
    MSi Optix AG32C is the best choice in 1080p resolution ! ;)

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    32"+1080p looks awful. I can literally count the pixels.

signex and Fox2232 like this.
  18. The Edge

The Edge Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    I was talking about the price of the panel, not about the qualities of TN. I own a 120Hz 1080p TN panel myself. But for 500€ ? 1080p is not enough, 24,5" is not enough (for the price, not for the res) and 240Hz is not something unheard of, that it would drive the cost up by hundreds of €.