Stumped with nvlddmkm error

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by schoolofmonkey, Jul 26, 2019.

1. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Now it's a really odd problem, the error only shows in event log after you wake the monitor while having Chrome open while logging in.
    You'll know something is wrong because the cursor will stay as the twin head resize arrow, all apps will still work, you can't close down chrome, restart the computer then it's back to normal.

If you've locked the computer it doesn't happen when you wake the monitor and log in with Chrome open.
    My machine is never in a full sleep, just to turn off display.

I can game fine, no errors or crashes, passed Time Spy Extreme Stress Test 97.9%.

It's the Event ID 14 nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted.

Hardware specs:
    z390 XI Apex
    ROG 2080ti Strix Advanced
    32GB (2x16gb) G-Skill Trident Z
    Samsing 970 Evo 250GB NVMe
    Corsair HX850i PSU
    Driver: 431.60 or 431.36 (Both do it)

I was experiencing the same thing on my 8700l/GTX1080ti system with driver version 431.36 as well.

I have turned off Hardware acceleration on Chrome just then too.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    swap the power supply to single rail mode and run a single cable to each port.

3. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Yeah I do that already, I'm not using a daisy chain PCIe power cable.

It's only on screen wake up with Chrome open.

4. Atri Venitros

Atri Venitros Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I've had this error 1293 times in the past 7 days, but I haven't noticed it doing much. The only time I have noticed it is when I played Crysis 2 and the game freezes after playing around 20 minutes. It doesn't crash though, it unfreezes after about 10 seconds. Having a fix would be nice though.

[​IMG]

Sajittarius likes this.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    are your monitors both VRR/Gsync?

6. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Gysnc, Acer Predator..
    Single monitor.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  8. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Ok will do.
    Now that you mention it, it's not happening on my wife's machine, which was mine, the 8700k/GTX1080ti, when I had that machine last week it had the same problem, but it's not now, she doesn't have a Gsync monitor, her's is a Benq 27" 144Hz.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no need to dm him, the driver just went public

10. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Where, can't seem to find it...

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  12. schoolofmonkey

GPU:
    Galax 4090
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hope the hotfix resolves it

14. fr3quency

fr3quency Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1660
    Format is always the solution.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    :rolleyes: for a driver problem?

16. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    Let me guess you are butchering drivers with nvslimmer?

Sajittarius likes this.
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    This comment has no foundation in reality. Been using NVSlimmer for many months w/o any issues, slimming them to my hearts content.

18. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    Actually it does... for me, when i was slimming down driver only to core+physx+hdmi audio i was getting exactly this error multiple times/day, since i reinstalled driver and removed only things setup lets me to remove (GF experience, usbc driver) i dont get this error anymore...

So in fact it does have foundation in reality it has actually foundation in my own experience...

[​IMG]
    from 9th (reformat) to 23rd almost 8k of this errors, after it, 0 when i stopped butchering driver... also one other thing i think it somehow connected to playing videos with browser (edge chomium in my case), because mostly I saw them happen when i was watching twitch in browser (video stoped playing for ~half a minute, there was error spam in event log in that time after it video resumed)... however fact is that for 4 days, since i reinstalled driver i dont have error anymore....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is alot nvlddmkm errors. to point I would think it HW related,

I use NVSlimmer to remove all but driver/physx/audio for quite some time and before using that I removed the other stuff manually 5+ years probably more along the lines of 10 at this point. and never had that many such issues caused by doing this.

Firefox is the only thing that cause nvlddmkm error for me and it rare at that. but I know it Firefox causing it as when FF draw window goes blank the nvlddmkm error happens and the event viewer logs it. the error is contained in FF though nothing else is effected and nothing else causes the error.

Unless nvidia changed something with recent drivers to cause such things.

as of OP could be browser thing? like said I only have nvlddmkm error with FF and it random at that. I dont use sleep ( computer sleep/hdd) or any of that though, I just sent my monitor to go standby after 30 min.

20. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    i was using nvslimmer all the time with old computer and everything was fine, however i simply cannot on this new one or im getting errors and weird behavior, i was also for a while convinced it was HW related error, but considering i dont have errors anymore for 4 days it was obviously not... Also one other error i was getting was, when monitor went to sleep about half of times computer rebooted, this also is fixed since i stopped using nvslimmer... one difference is (outside whole new computer) now im using DCH driver (standard is not compatible) and before i was using standard...

Fact is, first thing people should try when they are getting this type of errors is, stop using nvslimmer (if they do) because error is pretty specific, some component is not found....

If i would have time i would remove component one by one until i find the offending one, but this sounds like days of testing and i simply dont have time right now.....