Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by gerardfraser, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Precision Boost Overdrive How Much Over Max Boost You Have

Poll closed Jul 22, 2019.
  1. Fail Do Not Reach Advertised Max Boost Speed

20.0%
  2. Bang On The Money

60.0%
  3. Poor Mans 25 Mhz Is That 350 Board

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ready To Fight For 50Mhz With X370

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not Bad 75Mhz Baby with 450 Heaven

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Boom 100Mhz I am done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 125Mhz Stoked Satisfied Is That A X470 I See

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 150Mhz Time For X570 XTREME

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 175Mhz Bite The Bullet Gone Master Class

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 200Mhz God Like Impossible

20.0%
  1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    EDIT Aug 12 2019:Let me start by saying I was wrong and I apologize for any misinformation I supplied due to my ignorance.
    I was aware of Third-Party Monitoring Tools not being as accurate as Ryzen Master and I just ignored that fact all together.

I have started testing with Ryzen Master only now to see what the actual clocks on my Ryzen 3600X really is.
    Although I still get over Max Boost as what is written on the box so I have no recourse to complain to AMD or refund my CPU'S.
    Also they are still fast little CPU's Still happy.

I have only witness Cinebench20 hitting Max Boost on 2 cores as of testing today.I will test some more with different BIOS and if any change is observed I will post back.
    https://i.**********/HLnQJjLW/3600-X-Ryzen-boost.png

EDIT:
    Guess my 3600X is getting like that AMD fine wine treatment with age:Boost now up to 4580Mhz.

So I was wondering how much over max boost can you get on a Ryzen 3xxx CPU and did AMD LIE lol.

Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus + 3600X
    Max Override Boost 182.1Mhz on 1-6 of 12 cores for total up to 4582.1Mhz.
    Settings Used
    My Settings for boost up to 4582.1Mhz
    OS-1903 Build 18362.267
    AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
    AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.29.0115-Release -July 30 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
    BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard

My settings for videos boost up to 4525Mhz gaming/Cinebench
    OS-1903 Build 18362.267
    AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
    AMD_Chipset_Drivers_v1.07.07.0725-Release Day -July 7 2019 with AMD Ryzen™ Power Saver Plan
    BIOS set to Enhanced Mode 4 for MSI Motherboard/LCC CPU/SOC 2

Updates to Precision Boost Overdrive Override for the AMD Ryzen 3000 Series can give an addition 200Mhz added to what is printed on the box.

Anyone have any luck going over max boost clock.

CPU -Printed On The Box
    Ryzen 9 3950X -4700 Max Boost
    Ryzen 9 3900X -4600 Max Boost
    Ryzen 7 3800X -4500 Max Boost
    Ryzen 7 3700X -4400 Max Boost
    Ryzen 5 3600X -4400 Max Boost
    Ryzen 5 3600 -4200 Max Boost

Video showing max over boost in a couple games and Valley Benchmark 1.0 running 4K where you need every Mhz J/K.

MY 3600X Hitting 4500Mhz Cinebench 20

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Kinda confused by this post, or rather i think it's too early to make the post, as it's already been shown that some motherboards don't have the latest AGESA which can affect max precision boost, such as my motherboard. Until motherboard manufacturers figure out their BIOS', the current information doesn't seem that relevant.

3. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well at least you got a fair price and it was bound to happen with no stock and slow shipping even if you paid for express shipping.
    Many are not having problems with the motherboards and are the proper max boost.Yes some BIOS are messed up but you do not need to redo any reviews for little gain,just a waste of time.

Let me help you out a little.I know you know the difference but in case you do not.

CPU -Printed On The Box-Ryzen 5 3600X -4400 Max Boost.Mine is happily hitting 4525Mhz for now.
    https://i.**********/pdpvkVQ2/ryzen.jpg

Updates to Precision Boost Overdrive for the AMD Ryzen 3000 Series

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  4. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I have a 3900X and mine typically runs 4.2-4.4GHz on all cores, Single core hits 4.6GHz from time to time and 4475Mhz typically in games but then my RTX2080 Strix keeps hitting it's power limit too. I am not using PDO either because i am having issues my Crosshair 6 (X370) is being a pain in the ass it crashes in the BIOS after 1 min and if i even look at the CPU voltage it will freeze and can no longer boot in till i clear the CMOS but i am seeing at STOCK voltage of 1.48 and 1.5v!!!!!!!! Thing runs hot but ran out of paste so i am not really stressing it i basically 57C typical at idle and doesn't go much higher under load either when playing games. Can't believe Grizzly Keyonaut is only good for doing 1 CPU which was my 1700 for the price!! Then there was a little left to do my 3900X mostly covered where the cores and memory controller is not happy with it but will just have to do for now. Ordered some MX4 i'll get that tomorrow but i won't be back home till Friday so hope fully my clocks should be a lot better.

Also what people forget is that PBO might not always increase the single thread but impacts multiple. So in my case all core 12 can run 4.4GHz which is 200MHz over the default.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Stoya9186 likes this.

5. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Yes they run hot over all the Ryzen family but I am fine with that .
    That BIOS is a mess on that Motherboard ,nothing but trouble.Maybe when the BIOS is fixed you will be able to run Boost on a few cores @4800Mhz.

6. Stoya9186

Stoya9186 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080Ti FTW3
    You hit the silicon jackpot sir!

I've done nothing but tweak my 3900X for the last four days and the best I'm able to accomplish is:

6 cores @ 4.4gHz
    4 cores @ 4.3gHz
    2 cores @ 4.2gHz

I guess the silver lining is that I can hit those at 1.325v but volting above that doesn't help. Volting below that results in crash on Cinebench.

I am running latest 1003AB AGESA and chipset drivers.

These parts just don't seem to have a ton of headroom in them...Nothing that I think can be fixed with microcode anyway. With PBO I have yet to see even my best core hit 4.6gHz. I have hit 4.5gHz for a split second maybe twice. My temps are good, and this is on water.

7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I did buy the 3600X just to game but I knew what I was getting and how it would work with Precision Boost Overdrive.I would not be happy with my 3900X if it could not Precision Boost to 4600Mhz and especially to 4800Mhz with Precision Boost Overdrive or at least 4750Mhz on one core.
    Totally happy with the 3600X and again I got lucky with the 3600X as i did with the 2600X with the fabled good chip since mine can run excellent.

8. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I might try PBO now, just got back home applied new thermal paste although i thought i had not put enough on before it seemed to have decent coverage. New BIOS came out yesterday 7201 was still a pain in the back side to get it to post but finally got it working with DDR running 3200MHz. Basically reboot about 12 times with 0d error go into the BIOS and set DRAM boot voltage to 1.4v and don't touch anything else so long as it posts without errors it will keep that voltage then was cable to use DOCP to 3200MHz CL14 timings. Kinda afraid in playing any further with the DRAM, for now atleast.

After which temps was about as warm as it was since it wanted to give 1.5v again but changed to 1.3v (Yes i can now change voltage :) ) all core is 4.3GHz and cores 1-3 do 4575MHz, cores 4-6 do 4550MHz, 7-9 do 4400MHz 10-12 do 3375MHz. This is stock no changes to PBO or anything plus temps are significantly better and my single threaded score in CPUZ is right on the heel of the 9900K in single core and just behind a 2950X in multi threaded.

VRM is around 40C.

Next step i guess is to disable SMT from what i have seen this can allow more head room in overclocking and all games get higher performance with it disabled with the exception of Assassins creed odyssey which i don't play... bonus lol.

9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Sounds great Dazz <I am still testing combinations of setting but I will either just run PBO on or shut it off and zero overclocks. The reason why in all my testing so far even with higher than what is printed on the box gaming FPS is better with AMD overclocking doing it's thing.I only game so that is all I care about.
    PBO on 1FPS more than AMD just doing it's thing and more FPS than actual overclocking Ryzen CPU in games.Always fun to play around though

10. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Then right after that post it started to be a pain in the back side again when i disabled SMT, with 0d and C5 errors, i give up with this X370 board so ordered a Strix X570, Technically the 3900X is not supported on the crosshair 6 hero so bumer not that it really matters theres complaints all over the place about the state the BIOS is in even for the 3600 and 3700X, maybe why ASUS no longer use doublers for their VRM's but instead use more power stages on new X570 due to the higher frequency changes and the changes in memory trace paths.

i mostly game myself but also run VM's and creation work so got the 3900X as a all rounder chip and prefer more physical cores over virtual cores as i don't like SMT or HT sharing resources with physical cores as this can impact gaming performance depending on what threads the game has been assigned which is kinda random.

11. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I used to love my asus Motherboards,this time around Maybe Gigabyte is a better choice.I have not had problems with my cheap MSI board but your running some VM and creation work,pick a more stable motherboard.Just a suggest

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If I had not read 1st post, I would have submitted answer for my 2700X. Question on top needs to specify it is about Zen2. :)
    In that case, disable PBO for time being. I had similar voltage issue (no crashes) on X470 Taichi (still 2700X). But I did use voltage offset 1st. And then I did make custom P-States table to have few specific clock with specific voltages instead. To that, board adhered well.
    So I had 4.15GHz at ~1.38V, 3.6GHz at ~1.20V, 3.0GHz at ~1.05V and 2.2GHz at ~0.9V.

I have not really tuned them to limits, I just wanted CPU to stop spiking to 1.5V. New BIOS peak voltage is 1.45V, so I leave it on auto.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Dazz likes this.
  13. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Yeah i have the ROG Rugjin 360mm so to control the small fan i need a ASUS motherboard unfortunately other wise i would have looked else where, i do also prefer the look of the Strix which was why i picked that up over the cheaper but just as capable TUF X570. Was going to go X470 but if i need to get a new motherboard i might as well get the one that Zen 2 was designed around.

14. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Gamers Nexus posted a video showing that temps really do matter on new Ryzen for getting better clock speeds using PB or PBO (which are not the same thing guys).

I currently have a 240mm Kraken X62 on my 3900X and at stock settings I see it boost to 4.65GHz but during CB_R15 I see temps spike to 75C on the CPU and its all core clocks were around 3.95GHz. The other night it was really cold out, and I had a window open. I ran the test again and this time the CPU didn't get passed 68C but all core clocks hit 4.15GHz.

I plan on getting a Noctua NH_U12A as I am done with AIO's until they can actually get the cost, performance, and noise levels down.

15. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I'm lolling at all the AMD lovers who plan on cooling a 12 core CPU with a stock cooler. Clearly you'll need a better cooler for 12 cores, id even venture to guess AIO'S will not to well either as most are made and testing on 4 core CPU'S. And a AIO isn't REAL water cooling to begin with, just a money grab from the makers.

16. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Yeah it’s not like anyone uses an AIO on a toaster of a 9900k. It’s refrigerators all the way.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Evildead666 likes this.
  17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
  18. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    What do you mean they are not REAL watercooling? they using pixi dust or something cause last i heard watercooling is defined as a copper heat plate with water flowing through to maximise surface contact which is then brought back to the rad to be cooled down by fans with the use of a pump.

Aura89 and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    AIO's are prebuilt cheap want to be coolers(nothing more)im sorry if they got your money. I assure you a custom loop will blow away a AIO in every way, don't be emotionally attached to it. there junk nothing more, oh good for a GPU if you can bend yer mind around it. Do your home work if you want to post an argument about it, or keep on paging.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ^hes not wrong, linus tested it out only recently and a good air cooler will beat an AIO at around the same noise levels.

jaggerwild likes this.