Review: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six core processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2019.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    X570 is enthusiast chipset, with features that 99% people wont need.

X470, B450 work fine with it. So yeah, we talk sub $100 motherboards here.

Still not attractive?

Maddness, Mesab67, Undying and 3 others like this.
  2. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Those are previous generation motherboards.

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Only thing you gain on X570 over X470 is PCIe 4.0 (and a chipset fan).

4. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    1.4v@4200Mhz Smmh That's a lot of heat!

5. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Previous generation doesn't mean provide less performance or worse in everyday usage. Read reviews for yourself and compare.

Maddness and airbud7 like this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    And that's a problem because......?

If you need PCI-Express 4.0, then buy x570. If you say it's too expensive, i'd like to know what you're comparing it to that also has PCI-Express 4.0 that somehow makes it expensive. Or rather, if it is too expensive, then you probably don't ACTUALLY need PCI-express 4.0.

It's amazing because if AMD had made a x590 with PCI-Express 4.0, and an x570 and b450 were effectively just "rebrands" of the x470 and b450, you wouldn't have this issue, because they'd no longer be "previous-generations" since their named changed. But then you'd likely complain about the fact they rebranded a chipset....

So then what is it that a "new" generation motherboard actually would have on it, other then PCI-Express 4.0, that you'd need to much?

So what's your issue then? Do you want something that's new with no benefit over the previous generation just so you can call it new? Are you that tied to intel?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Apple can as well be reason why there are so few 3900X around.

8. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    It's actually is. Shorter support term and AMD already stated they will switch off ability to use Zen 2 PCIe lanes in PCIe 4.0 mode on all previous generation motherboards. And there are simply no decent B450 motherboards. They all having poor set of controllers. And if thinking that way, then we can go with Z370 or H370 etc. Obviously previous generations are cheaper. Yet X570 is not enthusiast. It's current gen mainstream. Enthusiast are HEDT, which are Threadrippers and Core-X.

9. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    A bit more modern set of controllers and longer support. At least 802.11ax Intel AX200 controller, wider usage of Realtek 1220 sound, USB SS10 Type E header. Sure, I can buy Intel AX200 on Ali for $17, but still.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF

Robbo9999 likes this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    To paraphrase what you're saying "I want something distinctly better but it needs to have a similar price point to the worse outdated stuff". Do you not see the issue in that? You can't have it all - you either need to spend the money to get something better or get something that fits your budget. These products are priced the way they are because people will buy them. This is why Nvidia gets away with $1000+ gaming GPUs: doesn't matter if the price is crap if people still buy it anyway. It's a sucky reality but you can't realistically ask it to change.
    Also from what I heard, X570 boards are more expensive to manufacture.
    Like you said, you can buy the wifi chipset yourself. It's best to buy it separately anyway, since then you can upgrade it or swap it out. Being able to pick and choose your parts or swap them out is half the reason for building your own PC.
    Unless an audio chipset is known to have issues, what difference does it make if you're sticking with integrated audio? On-board audio chipsets have hardly improved in 10 years. There's only a handful of minimal improvements here and there, and if you can tell the difference (and care), you're better off getting a discrete sound card or external DAC. Or just use SPDIF or HDMI, at which point the onboard audio is completely irrelevant.
    How often do you need a type E header? Why not just buy an adapter if it's that important to you? This reminds me of the complaint about computers not supporting type C, even though it's not hard or expensive to convert type A to type C.

sverek and Maddness like this.
  12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    No, X570 is enthusiast class - the B-series chipsets are mainstream. AMD's site makes this very clear - look it up:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-am4

HEDT is an entirely separate category.

Maddness likes this.
  13. ETAxDOA

ETAxDOA Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    So what do you lose using an x370 motherboard over an x470 motherboard? Don't want to pay the premium to upgrade my itx board

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Not much. X370 is supposedly worse at overclocking RAM (not sure how true that is), is slightly more power consuming at idle, and I think has worse XFR support. There's also StoreMI, but IMO that's useless (you can accomplish the same thing through software). If you already have an X370 board, I would keep it. But, I don't think you should buy a new X370 board with a Zen2 CPU.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Embra and ETAxDOA like this.
  15. ETAxDOA

ETAxDOA Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Thanks, think the XFR was the only attraction of upgrading to x470 when x470 was first released.... my memory is like a sieve

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    ryzen 3k supporting bios's are unstable as all heck on x370 and 470 and this affects all processors. (currently).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Please for the love of all things sacred stop spreading miss leading info on this forum.

Mesab67 and airbud7 like this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sorry bud but you don't get to state what is enthusiast and what is not. Z390 has been stated is enthusiast, as well as x370 x470 and x570.

19. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    I'm still seeing this whole Zen2 range of CPUs as a great line-up and can't wait to get my hands on the next Threadripper lineup.

Those complaining about not being able to overclock I suppose need to get with the times. Don't get me wrong, I've been a tuner, enthusiast and overclocker for probably more years than some have been alive, (I / we) don't have to like it, but things change.

For example, I believe a real sports car has a manual gear-shift - but these days all the sports cars I like (save maybe one), come with flappy paddle auto. They're faster, but often don't feel as engaging to drive.

Another example, I'm having to get used to having no optical drive in my new case - I mean, seriously, so many cases dropping optical drive bays.

Anyway, AMD are providing automatic overclocking... Maybe it's the way of the future...

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti