Intel CEO confirms 7nm CPUs in 2021

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's definitely a combination of issues. Intel's 10nm was supposed to launch back in 2016 - it was extremely aggressive - keep in mind that it's 10nm is roughly equivalent to the 7nm that TSMC is shipping currently. The problem is that between 2014-15 when Intel was developing 10nm and now, a bunch of new techniques have been developed in order to make that shrink easier, notably SAQP at that size - but Intel had already invested so much into their technology and their engineers were basically saying "don't worry it's right around the corner". The problem is they kept saying that year after year. Intel's solution was to go back and reconfigure it's 10nm process with some of the newer stuff and that's what allowed them to ship 10nm products in 2018 - but like you said, they can't seem to get the switching performance out of their architecture on 10nm and thus they never really shipped anything on it except for a few mobile parts - where the power consumption does matter.

They aren't behind - they are roughly the same with Intel having an advantage in some characteristics and TSMC in others. I don't think this will change with Intel's 7nm vs TSMC's 5nm.

The bigger takeaway is that Intel completely lost it's process advantage. For year it was a major component to Intel's success and now it's almost an anchor for them. AMD is able to freely shop around it's fabrication to whoever can deliver the best process but Intel is stuck with what it's team can come up with.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    fantaskarsef and DmitryKo like this.
  2. lordzerg

lordzerg Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 290
    Fast check in google Bobert Swan is -> Robert Swan CEO of intel or Bob Swan, Bobert is wrong fix it :)

3. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    AMD will be lucky if they can break the 20% market share by then...

4. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Margaluss
    There is abig difference between market share and market share. They might only have 20, but they already have 50% on the byo market (at least for Europe)..

5. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    LOL!!!
    By 2021 AMD will bring "Zen5" 5nm+ 16C/32T at a price of a Intel 7nm 10C/20T... 50% better performance at multitasking and same performance on major games AND 30% more cheap.
    But ok.. I am a Gamer and need 5FPS more in one or two titles... then i will pay much more for a very less general performance... Intel Gamers = .......
    2019 PC Market Share = 87% Intel / 13% AMD - 2021 PC Market Share = Intel = 67% / AMD = 33%.. great job Intel! Still like this!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  6. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    What is this "byo" market?

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I'm guessing it's "build your own" or DIY. Retailers like Mindfactory.de show that AMD is outselling Intel right now.

fry178 likes this.
  8. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Thanks, "Build your own" sounds logical. But what that seems to indicate if true, is that nobody in Europe builds their own since worldwide AMD only has 16-18% market share currently.

9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    2021 yeah right. When AMD is on Zen 3 and 5nm EUV process.

10. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Well, '14 nm', '10 nm' and '7 nm' are just marketing names which are not related to any physical measurement of the produced gates.

Exactly. Industry analysts have long been assuming that Intel's '10 nm' process is actually closer to their competiors '7 nm' (and likewise Intel's '14 nm' was closer to competitor's '10 nm' and '16/12 nm') if you compare the actual gate/fin pitch, width and area.

It's also not the first time Intel publicly admitted their goals were too 'agressive', and how they learned to not allow their engineers push for so many process advancements all at the same time.

So yes, they are basically skipping their 10 nm process, which will be available in very limited number of products, and are holding on refined 14nm for mass production through 2019-2020, at the same time preparing their scaled-down '7 nm' for mass production in 2021.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Fox2232 likes this.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yes, most people do not build their own computers; most buy prebuilt systems or laptops, where Intel still dominates. It's only among enthusiasts where Ryzen is showing strong sales.

It will likely take some time before major OEMs incorporate more Ryzen systems into their lineup. Despite AMD's recent successes, Intel remains the "premium" brand in most people's minds.

12. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Hope they will stay below 90C.

Only good stuff about intel in the last few years was ipc.

Now I dont have any interest at all on this cpu's.

13. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    It's "premium" in servers world, not for consumers any more. I don't think your average Joe care about CPU at all. Some people who grew and used to have Intel sticker on their laptop, might care though.

Gamers might prefer Intel, since Intel is calling itself as a king for gaming PC, it's not about benchmark numbers, but ads and promotion.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I look forward to Intel's 14nm+++++ & 1/2+ CPUs in 2022. Hopefully they'll only be 1 year late.

What I'm actually looking forward to is seeing if they'll have any viable GPU offerings in 2020-2021.

15. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TI GAMING SLI
    My 3930K is still rock solid!

sverek and Undying like this.

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Competition is always good.
    Bring it on Intel, and AMD don't sleep on your success.
    Being tied to your own fab and process node rather slows down, but offers stability.
    Like being married, if you will.
    AMD is now the Don Juan, picked the best chick in town, Intel is faithful husband.

HitokiriX likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I am aware of the quantum tuneling what i was saying is that 10nm delay does not automatically mean delay on 7nm, also i wanted to point out that tsmc's fabs are not yet that much ahead . That said they sure covered a huge gap and took the lead witch is really impressive!

18. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    If They are a joke to semiconductor industry
    , then what about AMD's position were all these years?
    It is more like an end to intel's PITA-to-customers monopoly and a brand-new start of a healthy competitive cpu-era...... i want intel to stay relevant in this industry as much as i want AMD to stretch its arms and legs here.

HitokiriX likes this.
  19. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Cherry picking markets is absolutely meaningless. If thats all that mattered, you should have said how AMD now has the majority market share in Korea and Japan. Too bad it doesn't work that way. And fyi, that claim of AMD beating Intel in europe is based on sales data from ONE specific retailer who after taking a look at their website, goes out of their way to push AMD chips. Zero mention of anything Intel until you finally get to the list of cpus and they're buried at the bottom. Again, cherry picked and meaningless.

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    It's posts like this that make me wonder about the mental stability of AMD fanboys. A bunch of inaccurate BS followed by loads of wishful thinking.

First... Intel still leads the market. By a HUGE margin. Desktop market share is 77% regardless of the fake news stories who cherry pick data from AMD centric European retailers. What is even more hilarious is the fake news that was being repeated everywhere that AMD had crushed Intel in Data Center sales, tripling their market share.... which turned out to only be 3%. But like obedient sea lions, all the fanboys sat up and clapped in unison.

So take a look here and don't get too upset once it sinks in that everything you just said is horsesh*t. It must be quite embaressing.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/735904/worldwide-x86-intel-amd-market-share/

oxidized likes this.