Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by morbias, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    While the ammunition use by companions can be a hassle, limiting them to using their default weapons makes their already feeble contributions in a fight even more marginal. Maybe it was just pure fortune, but I always found I had a surplus of some type of ammunition for a companion to wield some sort of upscale weapon I was able to craft for them. If I recall correctly, for example, Hancock runs around with a short, double-barrel shotgun by default. At anything beyond point-blank range, that is the equivalent of throwing a handful of gravel at an adversary.

With regard to settlement defense, I'd advise a bit of caution using turret rocket-launchers for defenses. The only time I managed to lose settlers to friendly fire was due to choosing to add a pair of rocket-launcher turrets to the defenses at Croup Manor. What a mess...

I can't relate to Piper the way I'd imagine a male player might, but I think she is probably among the least annoying companions one can have. I'd imagine her seemingly double entendre responses when you're exchanging items with her would appeal to a male player. (They do make me smile.) Nick is a decent companion, too. Level-headed and no need to feel guilty about him trailing you through harsh environments that would take it's toll on most companions.

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I'm only using 4 mods atm: load accelerator, boston fps fix, quest tags and unofficial patch. So nothing that should affect gameplay.

I tried Vivid Fallout AIO texture mod but while good I felt some replacements broke the initial art style and as it didn't replace every texture there was discrepancy with quality.

Using official HD pack and it's fine. Insane download size aside.

@Celcius

The main reason I chose Piper was Nick told he'd go to Memory Den anyway so I have both with me for now :)

But yes I don't mind having a female companion to tag along either.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    IIRC you can have the dog but keep the perks available to a solo player so you might want to look into it if you're interested. I used to hang with Caite and Hancock :D X6-88 if I was feeling evil :D

If you have the robots dlc, you can upgrade codsworth with all sorts of insane weapons but the downside is that you won't get a shot off :D

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I mostly use my companions as meat shields and pack mules. I equip them with deep pocketed armor pieces and strength-based clothing (fortified with ballistic weave if I have it) so they can absorb enemy fire and hold all my junk. I never really rely on them in combat, and I prefer to sell the ammo that I collect. Generally though, I prefer to travel alone (with the lone wanderer perk), and only really team up with companions for the perks - once I max affinity, I immediately dump them and move on to the next one. In the latter parts of the game, I always travel alone.

I never really lost a settler that way. I've seen rockets fire into a group of settlers and it would KO them, but they get back up after a while. I've found that most of the danger from rocket fire is collateral damage to crops and equipment (like water purifiers or power generators). They also occasionally hit me if I'm in the way, although damage is minimal. The one thing that I learned not to do is equip certain types of grenades on my companions - I once equipped a Nuka grenade on my companion, who threw it at raiders attacking a settlement, and the entire settlement turned against me.

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Thanks, I'll have to check whether Lone Wanderer perk works with Dogmeat. I did find it interesting but haven't activated it as I've never been solo so far.

Have all DLC (GOTY) and just unlocked the robot workbench but I'm not looking into it now. I actually abandoned the quest once I realised it was Automatron related. Maybe later.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I am surprised it took so long after what people modded into the prior Bethesda games...and the other stuff people modded in which can't really be shown on these forums. :p
    Hey someone made custom animations possible now we can have improved combat animations and movement fixes .... or that, that works I guess. Ha ha.

Visuals example (Not of that.) for reference in Morrowind and how beast races walked.
    [​IMG]

To be fair at least Morrowind had a separate rigging and various differences for animation when using Khajiit or Argonian though it also nulled full face helmets and armor with boots.
    (Though removing the foot bit actually allows for wearing them as a sort of leggings so some mods made variants with these and open helmets for things like Daedric.)

Argonians also used a more fluid swim animation but I don't think it affected speed.
    (Skyrim would then also bring back that lovely dissing voice acting for when you have done certain things whereas Oblivion mostly had call-outs for Skill-Above-75 and NPC's constantly talking about whatever skill was queued up. :p )

But custom animations were also used and some existing skeleton rigs for Fallout 3 and I assume Fallout 4 too in time for adding in additional creatures and more ways of holding your gun like a professional. (That doesn't mean holding it sideways though. Heh.)

Oh and custom joints and bipeds in the skeleton for attachments allowing wings, tails and such on a wider scale, certain bounce physics were also implemented, really quickly. Imagine that.
    (Modding allows for a bit of everything though, whether you want to slap Alduin around or slap boobs on Alduin it covers everything. For better or worse.)

Wasn't active in Fallout 4 for long so kinda missed the more fun later creations and advancements. (Not just for these other mods.) though from what I'm seeing and hearing it's still progressing really well from script extenders, animations, textures and of course the near essential fan patches and all that. :)

And some fun and other additions of all sorts like the above, not quite JRPG but someone put in quite a effort.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
  8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Btw is it true that CC update broke script extender?

Not needing it atm but might later.

9. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    Anybody playing with the uGridsToLoad setting adjusted above it's default of 5?

I've never really liked the vanilla Bethesda presets for draw distance and LOD. Mostly just as an experiment, I've been using the following settings in Fallout4.ini :

uGridsToLoad=9
    uExterior Cell Buffer=44

A setting of "7" for uGridsToLoad didn't quite seem worth it. The Cell Buffer value is just a guess on my part, but it seems to run OK. As you might imagine, there is a performance hit, although it isn't too bad. (8Gb RX480.) Definitely a perceivable increase in distant details, which I like quite a bit. Especially on those sunny morning and afternoon strolls in some of the more placid areas. I've read that some more adventurous people are running uGridsToLoad=11. (It needs to be an odd number.) I think that might be for the $300-and-up graphics card gamers. I may indeed catch nineteen different kinds of Hell when venturing into downtown Boston, but this is just experimentation.

>>> Be advised that games saved after adjusting the uGridsToLoad setting won't load if this is subsequently altered to another value. Tread lightly. <<<

10. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    yes cc breaks script extender every gdamn useless cc update.

as for wanting to watch how others play fo4? there are very limited ways to "play" fo4 you kill stuff with different weapons that is how you play it. if you want to see all the endings. there are 2,5. which only swaps the characters for whatever faction and they read the EXACT SAME LINES. even gopher lamented that he would probably not replay fo4 much because the role play was so on rails limited. so the only real ending are side with or against the institute.

my first play i managed to do things in such a way i could enlist all the factions at the end, if i recall correctly it involved using different factions to complete the teleporter to get into the end base, then pick whatever to raid the base with you. none will object so you can do mm, brotherhood and the rr in that play, probably why i hate the game so much seeing how lazy they were to not even try to write different dialogue for the factions for the last main story mission.

and i already saved scummed a few convos to see how utterly superficial the dialogue system was. it literally makes NO difference what option you pick most conversations will play out the EXACT same way. sure there a few exceptions but man.

fo4 is a looter shooter not a role play game. i read that far harbor tried to fix these complaints but one role play dlc in a looter shooter fps game that billed itself as a role play game?

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Geforce.com tried tweaking that value too in their FO4 guide.

11 cripples even highest end hardware. Though it is mostly the engine failing to handle everything it's thrown I guess, rather than actually running out of power on hardware.

Another guess was the game generates so many draw calls that DX11 becomes a bottleneck (not in Geforce.com).

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Question for the more experienced wastelanders:

My next main quest is travel to C.I.T. to apparently kill a courser and get access to Institute.

Roughly how much of the main story remains at this point? You can give a ballpark figure as either number of missions or playtime.

Asking to decide whether to do more side quests or advance the story.

Also how did you like the Far Harbor DLC? Just unlocked it and the area is immediately offputting with constant radiation and fog.
    Which I guess make sense but it doesn't exactly provide incentive for exploration.

Plus whoever thought of restricting .45-70 ammo to Far Harbor area only is a genius game designer, I must say...

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^I have 90 hours in F4VR and i have hardly touched the main quest, side missions, side missions, exploring and side missions, and as for DLC i might get to that by 2021. lol

AsiJu likes this.
  14. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have played the main story up until it makes you chose between the institute and the synthetic's.. or.. railroad were they called?... since then I have only been doing anything else but the main quest because I couldn't decide who to chose, I'm pretty sure I've played it for more than 40 hours since stopping the main story xD

I thought Far Harbor was cool... All you need is a suit to protect against the radiation.

15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah played a bit more of FH, got to Acadia. At daytime the environment didn't feel as drab, for some reason I had arrived at FH always at night before, both the first time and when fast traveling back and forth.

The setting / story involved seems interesting.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    There's still a fair bit of the main story left - I'd say you're about 2/3 of the way there.

The irradiated fog in Far Harbor definitely provides a challenge, although it's nothing like the Glowing Sea. As long as you have a good stock of radaways or some other method of healing radiation damage (e.g., second-tier of Solar Powered) then it shouldn't be too difficult. The most challenging aspect of the island for me was the mountainous terrain.

On my latest playthroughs, I basically stopped at Mass Fusion - the point where you need to pick a side and knock out one or more of the other factions. It'd be cool if there was a way to establish peace between all the factions.

AsiJu likes this.
  17. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    It has been a while, but I believe I made a save and backed it up before choosing a faction to "help" out. I then went down each path in every possible way, loading that master save once I had fully completed a faction's story. If I got tired of doing that, I'd just do side stuff, get some mods and just explore.

Granted, this isn't my favorite Fallout game by a longshot, but it is fun to get lost in. I particularly enjoyed the story possibilities of Far Harbor. Then once I get bored with F4, I go back to F2, New Vegas and F3. :)

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I went after Kellogg with the intent of doing many horrible things to him because he STOLE MY SON, and KILLED MY HUSBAND! "my character was female" xD.... and I did many bad things to Kellogg's body...

I felt like the story kinda makes you feel bad by trying to make the bad guy look like a sort of good guy....

But I didn't care I had many bullets and explosive..... explosives mainly with the word Kellogg written on them....

AsiJu likes this.
  19. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Same, I also went in with my usual amount of overleveling so I could just pester him to death.

Wha? Oh you shot me. No, this is how you shoot someone!

Shotgun-VATS-headshot-execute critical-profit

(horribly bullet spongy still though...)

KissSh0t likes this.
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I think I even used a nuke....

[​IMG]