AMD RADEON VII graphics card has been declared end of life?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 12, 2019.

1. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Would be a freaking rational move.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    You used term Flowchart incorrectly. (Nice pattern right there. You're one of best people who throw terms around just because you heard it somewhere.)
    And Tahiti got latest optimizations some 2 weeks ago.

And btw. Why the 8000 series? Is that another of your knowledge voids?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    -Tj- likes this.
  3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    To be frank the 2080 was DOA.

carnivore, Dimitrios1983 and airbud7 like this.
  4. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    Looking at the benchmarks reviewed in the 5700XT article tells me different. At 2560x1440, the VII(currenf retail $970CDN) vs the 2080RTX Ti(retail $1760CDN), the VII offers a better dollar to FPS ratio of the 2. No bad for a none gaming card. 5700XT trumps them both.

The Vega64 was and has been discounted to the tune of 30% at my local computer shop.(canada computers), so I can see the same happening for the VII in time.

For those that own Vega's, all it takes is a little voltage tweaks to control temp. There's also the memory tweaking tool to tighten timmings.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019

5. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    RIP to Raja's Legacy.................................... on a serious note would these cards be rare or worth something many years from now?

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    No.

Also Raja 100% worked on RDNA.

rl66 likes this.
  7. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I don't see the problem, as they aren't going to stop doing drivers for the card anytime soon, and they aren't going to drop the card's warranty, etc. AMD will continue to sell GCN cards on the lower end, as well, until they can transition everything to RDNA, which will be awhile. Pretty much, RDNA obsoletes all the GCN cards moving forward--it's possible, likely even, that the Radeon VII is simply being advanced to "Radeon VIII", of RDNA architecture & DDR 6. But this card was always "prosumer", and there's no way AMD is going to let that market segment segment go. It's common practice to EOL one product when you have another in the wings under development. I think that HBM was one of AMD's strategic bets that turned out not as they had anticipated.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's a card that were born on a doomed star, too expensive compared to equivalent from NVidia, not enough power on screen, difficult to have enough memory, and a "B plan" in the process in it's own company...
    At least it has shown that HBM2 is possible :)

XenthorX likes this.
  9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    And even older one on Pro side, no problem about drivers at least.

10. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    lol, so much hate for VII here, on water this card screams and nears 2080ti performance. lots of untapped potential still. look up some "GeekMark" benches on youtube for an optimized VII on water, you'll be surprised how much Vega on 7nm can do.

D1stRU3T0R likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Screams like a kettle? :D

12. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Was anyone expecting anything else? Could you even buy it? I don't think I saw them anywhere for sale.
    Not unlike the original Vega cards that only started appearing late last year/earlier this year on e-tailer listings here in Denmark. Previously only available at absurd rates, and only recently reduced in price to anywhere it would make sense.. and now they're not available at all.

13. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    lmao no.

They are GCN, and if whatever GCN gets an update(couldn't say it in a more noobish way), all of them get. Very unlikely that they would drop GCN1 while maintaining GCN1.2+ for example.

If they say "+10 improvements for RX580 in fortnite, that means that EVERY GCN get's an improvements, they just tested the RX580 and got 10% improvements. Maybe fury got +15, maybe HD 8990 got +5%, etcetc, you got the idea.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    all pascal and turing parts are just evolutions of kepler, do you get kepler driver improvements on the new drivers? (no).

drivers are subbranches of subbranches of support code, optimisations for GCN 1.1 parts is highly unlikely to improve GCN 1.0 performance, and there is breakages in 1.0 on games that 1.1 is working fine.

15. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Don't compare nvidia to AMD.

Also, fck logic that in most instances GCN1.1 has less.... bad things as GCN1. 0 (i know this wasn't your point)

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's true but don't forget the price, even on summer sale the price is as the 2080Ti level and you have "nearly" the same performance with the added waterblock that rise the price !!!
    For less money you have a stock not OC 2080Ti that perform better in 90% of the program.

The Vega 2 wasn't a bad card at all (it was even pretty novative) it's just that it cost too much to build and so it's price isn't in adequation with it's perf (and BW the previous Vega were suffering from the same problem).

On second hand it might be a nice 2nd life for them (i remember nano sold at 160 Euro to finish stock).

17. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Maybe they are converting it to Radeon Pro?
    They can sell it for 1000~1500$ easy.
    will add it to Radeon™ Pro Vega II family.

Also maybe they are launching it as VEGA II Single and Dual Radeon Pro cards.