Control

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 12, 2018.

1. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Quantum Break sequel! I hope it has live action cut scenes.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. I like their engine, visually. Their implementation of SSAO, SSR and TAA looks really well done. All effects seem to be temporal and very well polished. Nicely done.

4. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Personally, I think the game looks so much better with RTX turned off.
    I thought we were past this idea of "shiny = awesome", but it seems making everything reflective has taken it's place to obnoxious degrees.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    is the engine the same that is used in quantum break? because that ran like absolute turd for me....

6. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's still the Northlight Engine, which is Remedy's in house tech.
    They've always used their own engine. From Max Payne, Alan Wake... and QB.

Quantum Break's biggest issue was not the engine. It was that for the majority of development, Remedy built the game as a console exclusive. With no focus on a PC version, because they didn't think they would be able to make one.
    MS sprung the option for a PC release on them almost at the end of development, literally a few months before release.

Control has been built from day 1 as a PC game.
    They've made numerous updates and improvements to the engine, and given their history when they can actually make a proper PC release... I have faith in them.
    Besides, by the time it gets a good PC release (next year) I'm sure any issues will have been patched. :)

jbscotchman and Undying like this.
  7. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Anyone see any deals on any forums for a deal since it is bundled with new Nvidia cards.Buy deal around 25USD.
    I did love Quantum Break and this should be more of the same.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Pretty sure they do, but I would imagine there's been some enhancements and improvements throughout.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They are also adding some new technologies and effects. We'll see but i hope it runs better than QB.

10. I must admit that after seeing this preview my interest in this game significantly increased. A lot of upgrades, interesting story... maybe it won't be one of those visuals only titles after all.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah not bad, bit less this.

[​IMG]

And a bit more towards this.

[​IMG]

Or how to say, suppose if they took the flash off during the photo sessions maybe Max1 would have had a bit more variety in his expressions. :D

Well I did like Payne 1 & 2 (3 was fun too but different developer.) and while Alan Wake had it's shortcomings there was more to it than just the visuals as well although the intermissions in Quantum Break were a bit meh.

Could be fun!

EDIT: Well in a few months to a year when the EGS exclusivity is over, forgot about that.

12. TBH I prefer only one store and that is GOG. If there is a game that releases on multiple stores, I always go for GOG. Everything else is terrible in one way or another. So I don't really care if it's EGS or Steam. I'll buy it anyway, coz I like the visuals/technology, which is the bare minimum I need to buy a game :)

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    GOG isn't bad although I still mainly use them for their early service as a provider of good older games although GOG connect has seen a part of the Steam library also ending up on the GOG account.
    Store wise for me it's more of a convenience since it's a temporary exclusivity though the current situation hasn't changed as much as I thought it would and many of the user facing improvements have ended up delayed but another year or so perhaps.
    (Although by then these initial exclusives will be available elsewhere too.)

Steam and GOG are both kinda weird in what they block and let through too, Steam backtracked from the earlier statement a bit into 2019 and GOG has rejected some pretty big selling games on Steam from their store though curation from them still works better than on Steam where different Valve staff gives seemingly incredibly different views on what passes and what gets permanently rejected.

Will be interesting to see how that goes but for Control here I'm curious to see how it turns out learning from Quantum Break. :)
    Looks like a nice continuation of the tech too albeit as a AMD GPU user I can only see videos and screenshots from the RTX utilization though it looks good even without it and hopefully less problematic than Quantum Break was at launch although to be fair the PC port had a pretty fast turnaround and release cycle and unfamiliarity with D3D12 which the Steam version then helped fix by just going with D3D11 instead. (UWP's various issues as well which are still around even now when it should have been fixed already.)

EDIT: Although with the user base Steam has doing a permanent exclusivity probably wouldn't be a possibility for how things currently are on PC, bigger developers or the publishers for these wouldn't want to miss out on that market or the shareholders and such involved and other investors thus six - twelve months and then hitting other digital download services whether Steam, GOG or UWP.
    (Not sure if Ubisoft or EA are doing much anymore with third party publishing though Ubisoft is utilizing this partnership in a way too for part of their titles on PC.)

Well going to be fun reading more on the game as more media is revealed and then launch impressions and reviews and so on once it's out. :)

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KissSh0t likes this.
  17. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    So,..im not going to be able to play this, lol..this is the first time after many years i wont even be able to start a game due to its hardware requirements.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If you try it with RTX on... definitely.

But, with it off, since this was made from day one for PC... I'm more willing to give Remedy a little more faith.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Hey at least with a RTX 2080 you can just brute force the game to run good.

Now I'm kinda wondering how my FX 8320 compares to a Ryzen 1300X.... :/

Even my video card is below minimum xD

This is my reaction to that comment after trying Quantum Break last week.

[​IMG]

I am guessing it is going to run very good on console.

Kolt likes this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Remember, Quantum Break was made from day one as an Xbox One exclusive. Remedy weren't told they could bring it to PC until a few months before the PC announcement.
    They openly said on their forums they were unprepared and simply not ready, as they had built the engine specifically for the Xbone hardware.

A few people from the studio said if the game had started, from day one, as a PC title... they would've been able to build it with PC hardware in mind.
    And since MS own Quantum Break, Remedy said their hands were completely tied as to what they could do, and how long they could continue support.

They started life as a PC developer, consider Alan Wake on PC their proudest achievement. And said several times during QB's development they can't wait to return to the PC platform.

I mean, people keep giving Rockstar chance after chance on PC after years of awful, shoddy PC releases. And then they get it right with Max Payne 3 and GTA5. Remedy has one poor PC release... and suddenly it's "oh, this'll be crap"

MerolaC likes this.