Vehicles of Guru3D Thread Pt. 3

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by aircool, Nov 4, 2014.

1. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Nice, Mini is pretty popular here in Japan. I guess it cause of how much power it can deliver for the size :p

Good looking car, take care of it!

2. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Thanks.

Yeah, they're really nice to drive, plenty of power, 134bhp for such a light car is enough. These 3 cylinder engines also sound pretty good. The short wheel base and the steering make it fun through corners too!

Already ordered some car washing products and will give it it's first proper wash tomorrow as I don't trust the "hand" car washes in the UK, or the automated car washes.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Long post incoming.

I found a super cheap 03 CL55(3k) with 138k miles at dealer in in a rough area in Georgia that I had to get.
    I thought it was the steal of the century.

I drove down there with a friend to pick it up and we drove it back.
    The reason it was so cheap is because it had a bad throttle body and it would barely accelerate, stalled, etc.

So we went there with a throttle body on hand.
    I found out they put in the wrong throttle body causing the stalling.

Installed the new TB and drove it home.
    Still had the issue of slow acceleration and it would go limp mode if giving it more than partial throttle.

Got home and I ended up soldering a new TB wiring harness plug on it and that fixed the issue.
    Old connector had broken tabs and was not seating correctly causing all sorts of codes.

The car had quite a few other issues too though.

Lots of misc things like interior pieces missing, front bumper needs rework(i'll likely repair and repaint it myself), rubber seals need replacing, was extremely dirty when I got it, bad drive-line vibration(bad trans mount) , rear trunk submerged with water on a bunch of electronics(tail light seals were bad), etc.

I've done a ton of maintenance on it; engine oil, trans oil(also did some valvebody upgrades), diff oil, trans mount(will do engine mounts soon), spark plugs and wires, pulled the supercharger and did all the seals and gaskets for the engine, replaced pulleys and tensioners on the engine, parking brakes(constant squeal from broken up shoes in the rotor hub) and so on.

The car was visually quite nasty looking with dark yellow headlights.

I washed, clayed the car a couple times, buffed the whole car with a DA to remove hazing, sanded the headlights and then I ceramic coated the car with Carpro cquartz UK 3.0.
    That was a job; I think i spent roughly 8 hours doing that.

The car isn't perfect by any means but considering what it looked like before(almost a different color) it looks pretty good.

It's got good power, 500hp factory and 516 lb/ft of torque.
    Foot on the throttle from a stand still has the car spinning up to 40mph and that's with new pilot sport AS3+ 285s.

Stock cars can get into the high 3s in 0-60 and close to 12s in the quarter mile so I'm pretty impressed with the car considering the age.
    I did test mine and I got 4.2 0-60 using dragy in 96 degree weather so I'd say the engine is in good condition.

These cars use the m113 engine and 722.6 transmission which are bulletproof so I'm not worried about the mileage.

I do have a 77m supercharger pulley on hand now and I will tune it sometime in the near future.
    That'll be good for another 60whp and 100wtq.

https://imgur.com/a/HzNeuDh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dam Agent that^ is a sweet looking ride Bro!

Agent-A01 likes this.

5. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Sweet ride and fun read. How much did you snag it for if you don't mind me asking?

I'm a VBOX guy myself (similar to the Dragy). Clocked a 2.57 0-60 on my ride on this hit. I think I'm on the limit of grip for street tires lol...

airbud7 likes this.
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I paid $3000 for it, which is why I drove 4 hours to go get it without having looked at it lol.

Fixing the throttle body and having it driving well made the car more than triple in value in the current condition so I’m pretty happy with the decision to buy it on a whim.

I got the dragy because it was so cheap compared to vbox and reviewers say it’s just as accurate if not better. Vbox has been out for a while so early adopters pay more as always.

It’s pretty cool on the phone, lots of data and tests.

2.57 is a great time though. You spin that much with the AWD? Pilot sport 4S? Not much is better than those for a daily.

I doubt slicks on all corners would dramatically improve the time but who knows.

Rear wheel drive really limits the times on 0-60, better to stick to rolls than digs Lol

sverek and airbud7 like this.
  7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I knew you were brilliant but damn dude.....You done good right there!

Love it!

Agent-A01 likes this.
  8. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Thanks I’m happy with the decision. Lol

airbud7 likes this.
  9. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Nice deal at $3,000. I borrowed the VBOX off a friend so I don't technically own either one. I agree the Dragy is pretty accurate in comparison. You don't get the nice graphs of the VBOX though for telemetry data. On the Audi R8 V10 Plus there's zero wheel spin it just hooks and goes. Watch video there's no spinning. My other car, on the other hand, is traction limited even with AWD from a dig. It'll hook from a 5 or 10 MPH roll but the instant slam from 0 it'll light up all four tires. Doing a four wheel spin fest it did a 2.54 0-60 (and much faster metrics on 60-100, 60-130 etc than the R8) so it's more go than spin but it's a hoot to try and keep it straight, ride 1st gear off the limiter, and then upshift second. That's my 4 wheel spin fest down below....

[​IMG]

Agent-A01 and airbud7 like this.
  10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    What kind of tires are you running?

I bet it would hook a lot better if you could fit 295+ front 335+ rear but I doubt that would be an easy fit.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

11. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    It's Pilot 4S
    345 width in rear and 295 width in front already they fit. Car has over 600lb/tq at the wheels. She'll hook from 5-10 MPH just slam gas but a launch with preloading the boost not happening. Only way I could hook in the past at this power level was on R888 tires (315 rear 285 front) but they were loud, didn't last long, and horrendous in rain. Pilot 4S nice middle ground.

[​IMG]

Agent-A01 likes this.
  12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Big tires.

Isn't the GTR from a launch completely RWD?
    Believe I heard that a while back.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Jeez, those fronts are bigger than my rears haha

14. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    No it's AWD or it wouldn't be able to hole shot so hard. At higher speeds it can run full RWD to eliminate the drivetrain loss going to the front wheels. Mine isn't stock so it's a lot harder of a launch than a factory model.

I know crazy right? C6 Vette IIRC is 285 rears vs my 295 fronts. o_O

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I know I heard somewhere about it in a video and here's a link confirming it.

During a standing start, the system sends only 2% of the available torque to the front wheels and 98% to the rear, essentially making the GT-R a rear-wheel drive car. Thanks to the amount of sensors, clutches and UFO technology Nissan has invested in it, front and rear torque split can change in milliseconds to a maximum of 50:50.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/nissan-gt-r-s-secret-attesa-e-ts-awd-system-explained-35006.html

Of course I have no idea if it means it's only RWD for a split second from a launch or it was only early samples etc.

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You remember well! 245's in the front, 285's in the back. I'd love to see what a launch is like in your GTR, I can only imagine. A friend of mine used to work for road and track and had a nismo for a weekend. Offered me a ride but I didn't take him up on it. I bet modded up like yours, it feels like a rocket.

17. Holocron

Holocron Guest

GPU:
    Intel UHD
  18. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Next paragraph explains power goes from engine to driveshaft to rear and then another driveshaft to the front so obviously all the power is at first going into the rear. I wouldn't call ONE MILLISECOND a full RWD start lol....:p

It's a kick in the chest...here's one of my low 10 second passes. The mustang is a friend of mine it's supercharged and on slicks. The GT-R is just on street tires and can match it right off the line.

19. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Oh that's cool, you go to bradenton too? I watch Garrett run Leroy so I've seen plenty of that place on videos. That launch definitely looks pretty gnarly!

20. N0sferatU

N0sferatU Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ultra
    Yup I've taken both cars out there. The local area here has lots of interesting rides and yes Leroy is one of them. There's also Cleetus.

I've done 10.2 @ 136 in the GT-R and a 10.6 @ 130 in the R8.