X570 chipset fan noise?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Gromuhl'Djun, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Has anyone been able to find reviews that mention and measure the fan noise of X570 chipsets?

I like to build my pc's quiet (sub 30db @idle, max35db @load) which is working great on my current 3770K (Noctua NH-D15) with 1080ti (Rajintek Morpheus 2 + 2 120mm be Quiet low noise fans). I can't hear the fans unless it's completely quiet, and while gaming it's a slight humming sound which can't be noticed when using a bit of sound ingame.

This one mentions that the sound can't be heard over the case/cpu/gpu fans.

In this vid it sounds awful.

This german video mentions that the temperature is quite high when disconnecting the fan on the MSI MEG, but not completely undoable @about 72c. He mentions he can't hear the fan as much when he plugs it back in.

Tom's Hardware reports on the X570 Taichi that the whining fan can become annoying.

Anyhow, I don't trust reviewers saying fans are silent, as I've seen a lot of reviews where they mention "it's completely silent" when in reality its more like 40-45db. Bearable, but NOT silent in the least. Because of my tinnitus I can't bear another whiny noise and I do notice it clearly when the decibels are higher than 40. So there :p

So the question after all this rambling: has anyone found any other/better reviews that actually show/sound/measure the noise of the chipset fan?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    I also wish reviews had focused on this more given this is one of unique x570 "features". Since I need to build a new system ASAP due old one glitching I am going to order multiple boards and send back the ones I end up not using... Currently leaning towards MSI x570 Ace since it has a heatpipe from chipset heatsink to VRM heatsink. I guess this one has highest chances of being silent.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Sure it'll be similar to the old sabertooth boards used to sound tbh

4. Shadowxaero

Shadowxaero Guest

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 Amp
    I have the x570 Aorus Master....the Chipset Fan is high pitch and super annoying. Gigabytes x570 boards come with a little noise detection sensor and it is reading 55 to 62dB on the inside of my case and that is pretty much all from the chipset fan. The minute microcenter gets the Xtreme in stock, I am taking this board back...it is unbearable.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I guessed as much.

Screw X570 then...

Waiting untill 2020 for B550.

I would get X470, but i read left and right there are issues with memory not wanting to go past 2133 MHz.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019

6. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock Radeon RX 79
    Well it will get fixed with new AGESA'a ..some say we need AGESA 1.0.0.6 before all features of Zen 2 is unlocked to full potential.

7. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Some gigabyte US representative on reddit claims to have a beta bios for testing board fan profiles, so maybe it'll be fixed..

Old boards have a problem with bios size reaching it's limits since most have 16-megabyte EEPROMs
    Probably related.
    Guru related link too now > https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/m...eries-motherboards-to-support-ryzen-3000.html

8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Will have to check out the videos posted above but seriously... if they screw this up because of "useless" PCIe 4.0 integration, I might as well skip Zen2 as it is.
    Will have to do further reasearch though, at least I'm not that much in a hurry to renew my rig.

9. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Gigabyte has fan profiles coming with a bios update that should fix their autofan issues. Whoever thought that auto fan curves with just sensors were a good good idea... well, yeah anyway, Gigabyte representative on reddit said they have a beta in testing with profiles so it should be in the next bios update, MSI have advertised pre-release their profiles, and I assume Asus has them too.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I am surprised to read this and will place focus on it with the upcoming mobo reviews. BTW I have done all testing on the ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero and have heard only a really tiny amount of airflow coming from the fan in the NVMe PCIe4 SSD tests. I am truly anal about noise so that one seems okay.

For the rest of you, yes there will probably be a few BIOS updates that can regulate the fan behavior. Will check it out as I have ASUS, GBT, MSI and ASRock mobos here.

yasamoka, Barry J, AsiJu and 4 others like this.
  11. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    This has worried me from the first minute I saw those motherboards. Those tiny fans are honestly a stupid idea.

TheDeeGee and fantaskarsef like this.

12. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Thank you so much, Hilbert. Looking forward to your mobo reviews :)

Now I'm far more relieved after having ordered a Crosshair VIII Hero myself.

13. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I don't think I've had a chipset fan since late 2000's.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  14. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    I have an MSI X570 Godlike and the fan noise is barely audiblke. It seems like the fan has 3 settings and so far while inside my case, I can't hear it. Maybe I just got lucky?

15. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    ASUS Crosshair Vlll Hero x570 (Wi-Fi) chipset fan has very low noise while in load which you can't hear, unlike Gigabyte x570 Master which the chipset fan is load all the time which I return.

Update: ASUS has the chipset fan control in the bios when Gigabyte does not.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I wonder if there's a way to disable the fan? I'd imagine for cases with good airflow, passive cooling should suffice. Anyone know if chipsets have overheat protection?

17. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Ordered me a master and going to order a 3900 soon so i'll be able to see for my self, hopefully fan profile bios'll be out by the time i have both.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Not in a hurry either.

I will just wait untill cheaper boards without PCI-E Gen 4 show up, hopefully they have no Fan.

Even if the Fans will have a quiet setting i still wouldn't want one, those things fail after a year or 2.

19. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  20. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    I vaguely remember watching a video review of the Asus X570-E Gaming board and the reviewing claiming that the chipset fan was very quiet I could be wrong though.

21. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i don't know what your problems are, i can't hear your x570 fans from here.

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  22. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As for the matter and why there's even active cooling on there, when apparently one board can do without the fan: