B350 motherboard with a X3900

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Aura89, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

I don't know anything about this guy, so i don't know how legit everything he did was, but i find it interesting that it appears he got a 3900x with an outdated (by outdated i mean a June bios that "technically" supports 3000 series CPUs) working in a B350 motherboard.

This definitely leaves me interested in running my x370 board on the 3000 series.

He states he's going to try it on an A320 motherboard as well.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Will let you know how I get on tomorrow with my 3900X on my X370 board ;)

EDIT:

Latest bios for my motherboard is garbage by the way. Just updated to the latest release for my Crosshair VI Hero X370 and the now my keyboard and mouse doesn't work in the BIOS... basically I can't even get into the BIOS by pressing DEL. Luckily my corsair keyboard has a switch on the back that can be flipped to BIOS setting and now I can press DEL to get into the BIOS and change back my memory to D.O.C.P 3200MHz instead of 2133MHz which it defaults to. Mouse still doesn't work at all, might try and change the DPI settings see if that works.

Everything else is fine in the BIOS, just waiting on the 3900X to arrive tomorrow... wish me luck! :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    @CPC_RedDawn i have the same motherboard as you, i'm currently running on the 6101 bios as that's been the most stable for me, and i really do honestly worry about upgrading the bios to accept a 3000 series CPU since i keep reading the threads and i keep seeing so many problems with the bios releases, i'm hoping, given a few months maybe, there will be a 3000 series supported bios people tend to agree is decent enough.

4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have updated to every single BIOS release that this board has had, and have had zero issues with any of them until this very latest one. This board should power ryzen 3000 series CPU's just fine even the 16 core CPU as its VRM's are more than capable.

Hilbert posted an update on ASUS boards a while ago that all got support for ryzen 3000 CPU's here is the link
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...motherboards-for-next-gen-amd-ryzen-cpus.html

Also someone put a googledocs sheet together listing all the older boards that should be good for the new CPU's based on their VRM limits. Here is the link.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview

EDIT:

Oh and the guy in the video is a good dude, hes pretty reputable and has been on youtube for years. He makes pretty good content, and I would trust him.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The issues i had up until this bios (which is why i just sat with this one for so long) was booting after it had been off for awhile causing an issue where i'd have to go into the bios, and simply exit it without saving any changes, and it'd be just fine. Some sort of cold-boot issue? I remember a lot of people were having it. Other then that when it was not doing that even with previous bios, everything else worked great.

And thanks for the google docs link, that was something i was hoping someone would make. According to that list if i'm reading it right the board the guy used for the B350 should be able to run the 3900x, so that's solid there, still surprised honestly though.

It'll be interesting to see the a320...try....lol

6. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yes, followed his channel for the last year, until now the content was legit and of good quality

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AMD cpu's have a basic microcode loaded from the cpu, it probably could have worked on a board release bios just fine.

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I can report that the CPU works perfectly fine in my crosshair vi hero :D

it even boosts some of the cores to 4.65GHz and it has a new lower clock mode also, zen 1 and zen+ had a lower clock mode of 2.2GHz, zen 2 drops as low as 1.8GHz to save power (unless MSI AB is reporting wrong).

Oh and my memory is running fine at 3200MHz using the D.O.C.P setting to load up its XMP!

I did a quick run in CB_R15

2700X = 1864
    3900X = 3167

I think I beat my 2700X score just a little! :D

AsiJu likes this.
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Nice! What bios is it you are running again? I just purchased a 3800x, just have to wait for it to be delivered.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    the latest one of the asus site (7106) but be careful as you might get the keyboard and mouse bug that I have, luckily my corsair keyboard has a bios switch on the back and that works but mouse is not working. everything else works fine.

temps on this chip are great too, low 30's and max load after a few runs of CB_R15 were 67C. Gonna go play some games now and stretch its legs a little :D

AsiJu likes this.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think i may wait and see how long it takes them to get the latest AGESA bios out. Hopefully by the time i receive it? maybe wishful thinking lol

12. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    well that is fantastic news, im waiting on 3800x reviews, i'll probably go for the 3800x because i use my pcs only for gaming or 95 % of the time to game so the 3900x isnt what i really need, so ill try it first on my b350 board and probably wait until blackfriday week to get better ram and a good mobo as well as a new case

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Excellent news as I'll switch to 3700X or 3800X or 3900X later this year I think.

Have ASRock X370 Killer SLI so different mobo but good to hear the backwards compatibility is happening any way.
    ASRock has a BIOS supporting 3000 series out and mobo CPU support page has been updated as well.

@Aura89
    Out of interest was your cold boot bug such that system couldn't find a proper boot device sometimes and rebooting fixed it?

I'm still having this issue myself but am using relatively old BIOS too as have no other issues and this cold boot bug has always been there. So far.

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes. It was quite worrysome the first couple times it happened. Current bios i have installed that i listed above for me no longer has that issue. I am hoping whenever i update to the latest it keeps.

AsiJu likes this.
  15. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    My system has an issue where every once in a while I just won’t boot. I end up having to take my memory out and put it back in to get it to start. The MC on my 1600X is garbage (the CPU is too bad OC) I’ve had to run my garbage Hynix at 2933 because of it. This happened on my old X370 and my current B450 board. I’m hoping it won’t be a problem with the 3700x but who knows at this point.

16. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yeah, the first time I thought it was just a glitch but when it kept happening randomly I got worried. Now just kind of used to it.

Relieved to know I'm not the only one with this issue.

Maybe newer BIOSes have this fixed already but as the issue persisted after 3 or 4 updates previously, I decided not to flash anymore unless there's a particular mention of this being fixed in version notes or I need to flash for another reason, like CPU upgrade.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'd say if you want to get rid of the issue but aren't needing to upgrade to ryzen 3000 just yet, go to bios update 6101, otherwise i'd wait a little while for the next update or two if you are looking into getting ryzen 3000. CPC_RedDawn seems to be having decent luck with the current release, but even he said there was some weird issues, that many others state on asus' forums as well

18. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I can report one quite big issue.

After playing around I found out that a cold boot the board just won't post and it sticks on C5 code on the motherboard which means a memory fault.

No amount of hard resetting fixes it, I have to use the CMOS CLEAR button on the back of motherboard and then it will retrain the memory and post. I have tried the memory in different slots and still the same issue.

Restarting the PC works fine, its just shutting it down and cold booting this happens.

I was using the D.O.C.P setting to get my TEAMGROUP 3200MHz CL14 kit to use its built in XMP. Now I am trying to manually input the memory settings my self and see if that works. Will report back when I can, this is not an issue of the CPU or from AMD its from ASUS and their BIOS version.

Many people on the ASUS forums has posted this same issue so a fix should be coming soon. Will report back if I find a fix.

EDIT:

Reporting back here, letting you know that I just cold booted from shutdown and everything booted perfectly fine first time. It may be that Zen 2 doesn't like the DOCP(xmp) profile on my RAM, or the BIOS version is bugged or doesn't like my RAM but manually setting the speed, voltage, and timings in the BIOS which for me is 3200MHz @ 14-14-14-14-31-1T @ 1.35V (I also set a RAM boot voltage of 1.4v just to help at the boot stage) it works fine now.

Hopefully will get fixed in the next BIOS revision.

Now to tackle the INSANE stock voltages, this has been reported even on X570 where the vcore, and even the PLL and SoC voltages will default way higher than needed. For instance my vcore sets to default at like 1.48V!!! When really this chip only needs around 1.35-1.4v at stock (I don't plan on overclocking at all tbh just let Precision Boost and XFR do it's thing).

Go check out Jays2Cents video on Ryzen 3900X overclocking, his Crosshair VIII hero sets voltages WAAAY too high.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    AsiJu, bballfreak6 and Aura89 like this.
  19. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    Yea I saw that video as well and was a bit worried too. Wondering if it only affects 3900X or just an isolated incident. There was the review on Hardware Unboxed as well where reviewer had no idea how he killed his 3900X.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Well luckily for me my Crosshair VI Hero on the "ancient" X370 chipset, sets all my voltages pretty much spot on what they should be, the 1.8v PLL is at 1.8v the SoC is a 1.01v and the memory is at 1.35-1.36v which is all good. It's just the CPU vcore that sets it self at default to 1.48v! And in HWInfo and CPU-Z it can jump upto over 1.5v which to me is completely unacceptable.

The 3900X is meant to run stock around 1.35-1.4v and even then some people have used just 1.36v to overclock all 24 threads to 4.3-4.4GHz.

I have set mine manually to 1.35v for now, I did a few runs of Cinebench and it passed. I will run it through Asus Realbench soon as that program has always found instability for me and I believe it gives a better indication of a real world scenario than just hammering the CPU with Prime95.

bballfreak6 and AsiJu like this.