Review: AMD Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I came to my conclusion precisely because I read reviews the difference for 2070 is quite small in big picture.

2. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    They still have a messy unstable driver software. Also if u still want this card wait for aftermarket coolers folk trust me.

Also u get the free copy of rage and new dawn in the end so much pink and green xD

3. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    Check out the AMD store directly, I snagged an Anniversary Edition there yesterday ;)

waltc3 likes this.
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Only issues reported and that usually is fixed by reinstalling is the funny colors when installing. As far as the overclocking goes, not too many AMD cards launch with great overclocking support. Looking at general reviews there have not been any major issues, this is far above the launch of Vega and Radeon VII.

But giving AMD's history, they build up their PCB pretty well. And looking at the mounting plate, it looks an awful lot like the ones used on Polaris, so I'm thinking Accelero Morpheus coolers would fit on it no problem.

airbud7 likes this.

5. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I live in Czech Republic and we have 21% tax, plus local retailers take some extra cut to MSRP. But I think that the local reseller is just completely out of their mind because of the new release. Normally prices aren't that far off, maybe exactly because German Amazon ships goods here as well. I'm also not interested in reference model, I'd like Sapphire, as I remember them having amazing AMD cards, but I'm not sure about it if it's going to be over 500€ for XT model.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Same $hit cooler from the 200 series. Wait for AIB's and proper OC support.

@vbetts Reports of monitoring software misrepresenting clocks is also an issue. Steve said he had a "spike" to like 16Ghz at one point in testing.

airbud7 likes this.
  7. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Just a note. Entire RTX 20 Super series have USB 3.2 Gen 2x1 controller, while Navi isn't.

8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Not to mention that we in the Czech Republic have a much lower salary compared to Finland, so in the end, it's even worse.

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  10. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    carnivore, alanm, Jagman and 2 others like this.

11. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'll take your 21% VAT any day over our 24%... I wouldn't be surprised if our new government increased the tax to 25%. Over here the stores also add a bit of Finland extra as well to the prices. But I guess that's unavoidable in a small market without much competition. Many buy from abroad, like the already mentioned Amazon.de (I've bought an SSD and other small things from there as well).

Sapphire is usually the AMD card to get, unless you chance upon a truly great offer from someone else. Interestingly enough the custom Sapphires aren't even the most expensive ones either.

You wouldn't believe how expensive food, housing, cars, fuel, and pretty much everything else is here. But this must be 100% offtopic.

Backstabak and SpajdrEX like this.
  12. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @vbetts That must be about a 300% performance improvement over that 960, or something silly like that :cool:

13. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I hate it when people make assumptions before the card has even had a chance to mature.

The Super series is basically driver ready on release while 5700 needs some time for the drivers to mature.

I understand if you disagree with that statement but at least wait for AiBs and OC'd versions to start with.

I believe there's a 5-10% increase in performance to come in the near future. Meaning 5700XT will close any gap to 2070S for less money.

Good job AMD, i think nVidia will have to drop prices now also.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @vbetts is running a rx580 i think not 960. ;)

15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I did the mistake last time i wont do it again. I went with a 1070 despite it being 2-3% behind a Vega 56 because of power consumption and temp and well the difference was marginal. I assumed AMD would not improve their drivers. In pretty much all revisit reviews i watched the 56 is winning comfortably in newer titles.

The fact a 5700 XT blower model with non mature drivers is only 10 to 15% behind a 2070 Super FE with mature drivers for me is close enough to wait for the 3rd party cards reviews considering the significant price difference between the two.

I'm excited for ray tracing. I have been excited for ray tracing since the mid 90ies. But i would be extremely surprised if ray tracing becomes widespread before another 3 years at which point any card i'll buy now will have to be replaced anyway. Right now my focus is 2k gaming and in 3-4 years i'll look more closely at ray tracing. For now i don't think the market is ready.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Actually now it's a 2070 lol. I just like the fun of overclocking AMD cards.

I've gotten a Fury Nitro to 1300/600, An RX 480 to 1400/2200, I've got a Vega 64 Nitro I have to play with some time, and now the 5700 with an Accelero most likely on it. Although I will probably have to sell the 2070 once I get it to help cover the costs.

Embra, Loophole35 and Undying like this.
  17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would have never touched a 2070 non-super. The TU106 GPU die was an instant nope from me. The whole RTX lineup is a joke and the new supers are only barely acceptable (in a at least they gave us more performance for the same MSRP kind of way).

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I though 2070 was the one to get from rtx lineup. It was actually faster than vega64 and 1080 and with somewhat capable raytracing so i understand why he got one. 2060 6gb was not that interesting while 2080 was too expensive.

19. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    16GB RX6800
    @vbetts Update your bloody profile :mad::D

Venix and Undying like this.
  20. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I think the super cards are fine and are what RTX should have been at launch. But with the price cut AMD did i feel like nVidia should cut the price by 50$.