AMD Lowers Prices for Radeon RX 5700 NAVI Cards, 349 USD and 399 for the XT USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    The wording is slightly misleading. We all know this started with Nvidia's eye-watering RTX pricing - it's Nvidia that have just responded to a pricing bait placed there by AMD - a bait so well constructed that Nvidia was almost guaranteed to respond. Important point: AMD's cards have yet to be released! AMD have merely made use of this new headroom to finalise competitive pricing. A very slick manoeuvre, to the obvious benefit for consumers.

2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Well, this is interesting. Good move from AMD as the price was "bad".
    5700xt, if leaks are correct, for that price can be a very attractive product for both 1440p and 1080p.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you don't understand the correlation between die sizes and prices. You wanna talk about a load of "shite" as you put it? "Don't know how to make a smaller die", that's a load of "shite".

Could nvidia produce smaller die sizes? Absolutely. They don't have to include all the ray tracing and additional features that progress requires. Heck, they already have shown they don't have to, with the:

GTX 1660/ti at 284mm2 dies at $219-279

Original 5700/XT prices were simply bad, and as you put it, that's "ripping off their customers", i'm not saying that as i believe any company can produce any product for whatever price they want, it's up to the customers to buy it if they believe it's a good fit. But pretty much no matter what way you look at it, the original pricing was not well priced. These new pricings are better, but personally, i think they should be an additional $20-30 cheaper still.

But at least it's not the original, which i was quite badly priced.

Sorry but i actually know people that do, as they rather have lower settings on various other graphics, with ray tracing, then higher settings and no ray tracing. I know people who specifically bough 2060 and 2070 for ray tracing, with the knowledge that they'd have to lower settings to get ray tracing. You may be thinking "well those guys are dumb!" which is fine, you can think that all you want, your wants and needs are not the same as everyone elses. If you believe that ray tracing at those levels isn't worth it, at least in current iterations of the games, that's your choice. But just because you don't, doesn't mean others won't, and just because you apparently don't know anyone who would, doesn't mean you even remotely know enough people to make a statement like that.

Right.......because showing your customers that you have enough profit to release a product at a higher price point but then before its released lower the profit because of competition is totally a solid business model......i feel appreciated to see that if nvidia never took the "bait" as you say, that i would have been charged more, because of a stunt......

No one baited anyone, AMD thought they'd be able to get more profit from their GPUs, nvidia showed that if they kept their prices at what they had they wouldn't sell well at all, and AMD decided to take less profit. it's that simple.

Yes, actually, it was.

When the Fury GPUs were released, they performed okay put people stated "Oh just wait for Vega!"

Vega was released, people said "just wait for navi!"

Vega 2 was released and people said "Remember, wait for navi! or, wait, maybe not, it might be whats released after navi...wait for after navi maybe?"

Between Vega 2 it's now pretty much become "Wait for after navi, then AMD will be back in the high end!"

It's always next time...next time...next time....

I'm hoping one of these "next times" really comes to fruition, as i want high-end competition again.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    kings likes this.
  4. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    You know I was telling people AMD was trolling Nvidia on the pricing before the super was even out. The die size of Navi is pretty small at 255mm2 which is almost half the size of the 2070 and even less than half of the 2070 super since its using the larger 104 die which is 545mm2. AMD can go pretty low on pricing and still make money. I suspect even at these new prices they are doing pretty well per GPU.

5. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    One thing i want to tell here guys.
    The pricing/profit margin, it isn't only a matter of die size. Yields also comes into play. But more importantly cost of wafer per given area is way higher for 7nm as it the cutting edge technology right now .

6. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    But...there's a very important piece of information missing - AMD have yet to release these cards and no-one has been disadvantaged! AMD's original 'pricing' was very deliberately set to preempt a first move by Nvidia, which they duly obliged and in super-quick fashion...a very deliberate surgical-strike (i.e. timing) manoeuvre by Nvidia designed for one reason only. remember also, AMD would almost certainly have known about a 'super' response possibility to their original 'prices'. Oh yes, Nvidia did take the bait and AMD have now responded in kind. Let round 2 begin: super cards get lowered prices on release?

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Not sure if I follow you ...

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    What are you talking about - super was rumored before AMD even set the prices. Nvidia's super cards aren't released either - they can just as easily bundle a few games or lower the prices themselves. Its pretty clear that AMD's price cuts are a response to Nvidia confirming the super cards and actually seeing the specs. Prior to the confirmation the specs of what the cards would be were all over the place.

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, if nvidia, as you put it, didn't "take the bait", then what would AMD do? Lower the prices for unknown reasons? I mean what would their PR be about that? "Oh hey we announced these prices but...you get it for less now, before its released!....because......reasons!", or would they, much more likely, release at the original priced information. Again:

No one baited anyone, AMD thought they'd be able to get more profit from their GPUs, nvidia showed that if they kept their prices at what they had they wouldn't sell well at all, and AMD decided to take less profit. it's that simple.

Or are you ACTUALLY trying to imply that AMD would announce prices and then would have lowered them even if nvidia didn't counter? Because that's just.....it's not even wishful thinking, that's delusional.

kings likes this.
  10. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Can we use past tense once we actually see those prices in shops? Till then "AMD decided" is playing AMD's spokesman.

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    What do you mean? Not sure i follow.

Are you saying because the lower prices are, to my knowledge, just a a rumor currently? (yes i know this article states that an official e-mail was sent but doesn't say that guru3d got that e-mail so i'm not certain it's official or not, leaning towards official though)

If not then i'm not really sure i follow the question.

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Your statement implies that all those speculations about prices did already happen and you are talking retrospectively about actions.
    But those things are yet to happen. I know that you usually compose much better and maybe excitement is bit high. (And there may be some unpleasant surprises upon 1st prices showing up.)

I hope that there will be this price adjustment, but I am not betting on them.

Edit: Cheapest pre-order for 2060S shows $427 upon removing our tax and conversion. Cheapest 2070 can be had for $440 on same shop. I am not really sure if something changed in terms of price to performance with release of Super cards. Maybe prices will be better upon general availability.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    ha guys saying amd baited nv
    what a joke if the s cards were not out you still have the same amd prices they said

maybe you need to buy a motherboard and cpu for two weeks then back to release price they said....just saying

they have no choice but to lower prices,that is just based on rumors of navi and how it is.
    I would hope for two fast cards from them and decent priced over nv
    that's asking for too much it cant be that fast be still good priced:D

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So you are talking about if it's not confirmed then?

If so, then yes, everything is still up in the air. Supposedly, according to guru3d's article, it states:

"AMD today has sent an email to certain media and their partners indicating that they are lowering the price prior to launch." which is a statement, not a guess, which is an odd statement, since it also says "indicates"... but then also this

"It has now been confirmed, distributors and retailers also are sending around prices." which is also another statement, rather then a guess, or grain of salt notion.

So it seems like this is not just a rumor, but rather has been verified, but until released i agree, we won't know if it's real or not till then.

The reason i stated things retroactively is simply because that'd be a lot more words added in for a reply to something @Mesab67 is reacting to as facts rather then assumptions and saying that AMD would "bait" another company disregarding their consumers reactions to this "bait" being negative if it were to be a thing.

AKA my overall point to the post was not to say it's guaranteed or discuss that fact, but rather state that AMD would be smart to never bait another company on prices, as they'd in the end bait their own fans/customers, or screw them over because the "bait" wasn't successful. Just wouldn't make even the smallest amount of sense from AMD, PR wise.

Fox2232 likes this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There surely were not tricks. AMD did originally put 5700 XT against RTX 2070 and looked confident with price. But nVidia did not change price since then in way that would require $50 price reduction on AMD's side in reaction. That's the weird part. Market situation is for now w/o change.
    If AMD reduces price, I think they did overthink something and made mistake while setting original price points or they are making mistake now.

That's something what Hilbert's review may clarify with wider set of benchmarks, power draw and Clock potential.

airbud7 and Aura89 like this.

16. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    HH...thought I'd mention that the front page link to this thread is bouncing back to the front page instead of here. Or, at least that was true a couple of minutes ago.

Anyway--great news...50th Anniversary edition, here I come. Yes, instead of buying a ~$1400 RTX-2080ti, I'll buy an Aorus Master x570, a Ryzen 3k cpu--likely 6c or 8c, and the 5700XT Anniversary edition! And I'll still have money to burn.....! As much as $300, possibly before I hit the $1400 mark.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Delete

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    While anniversary has higher clock, would not it be outperformed by cards with better cooling released later? Or do you intend to change blower for something else?

And even then. Would not regular card do for less price? Since they should have same TBP, I expect that Anniversaries are binned for power efficiency, but that may not be as important with proper cooling.
    And it will still eat less than your current XFire.

(Yes, I know. Anniversary is precious. But the price difference...)

19. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Why guess or "should" or "could" or "might"? Is the TBP not known already?

https://i1.wp.com/www.funkykit.com/...19/06/amd-rx-5700-xt-specs.jpg?resize=613,430

20. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    "AKA my overall point to the post was not to say it's guaranteed or discuss that fact, but rather state that AMD would be smart to never bait another company on prices, as they'd in the end bait their own fans/customers, or screw them over because the "bait" wasn't successful. Just wouldn't make even the smallest amount of sense from AMD, PR wise."

None of us will know the pricing until release date (super series too). AMD did indicate pricing initially, and they also knew Nvidia's then (non super) pricing. Nvidia reacted by indicating pricing on their super series, to be released after AMD's official release. Until release we have potential headroom for final pricing on release date. It's this headroom/pre-release flexibility that's at play here (by both participants). Once AMD's reduced pricing is attached to physically available cards, then that round by AMD is over - they simply can't respond too soon to any changes Nvidia might make in playing with its own headroom, if available, until its re-configured series is released too.
    We can infer, to an extent, what's underneath this. While baiting might be too strong a word, both companies are clearly playing with profit margins, especially when tied (unusually) to two imminent product releases. Additionally, Nvidia, on the release of the super series, will have interacted with the buying public twice in a relatively short time (risk). AMD may be able to equally risk a second card in the not too distant future - before any new (proper) Nvidia refreshes.

Important: until products are actually released all pricing is subject to change, hence the use of the word "indicate".