AMD Lowers Prices for Radeon RX 5700 NAVI Cards, 349 USD and 399 for the XT USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Take that Nvidia!! Keep overcharging your consumers Nvidia great business model. PFFFT.:p
    So assuming the AMD5700XT is up there in performance with the Nvidia "Super" 2070, pricing comes in to play here. AMD 5700XT- New Pricing $399 - Nvidia "Super" 2070-$499. No brainer here. We will find out in 2 days!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's wait and see those reviews. Maybe the price will match somehow the performance.
    It's early days, but I am half decided to buy an 5700 Navi.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    Reducing price before launch? Ouch!

The 2060S still has more features when compared to a similar priced AMD card, so they better have more performance in the same price range. People may hate path-tracing, but it's here to stay and AMD's approach is still unclear. Not to mention worse OpenGL support from AMD cards (emulators come to mind...), and yeah, this is going to be a tough battle.

5. blacknova

blacknova Member

GPU:
    RTX2070 Super
    Meh... raytracing, tensor cores are kind of useless for the most people, at least at current level of performance. OpenGL support is actualy useful for Quadro and Radeon Pro cards or on Linux, 2.5 games on Windows are not worth selecting GPU with decision based only on OpenGL support quality, anyway RTX is not Quadro... and a lot of Linux user's would prefer AMD cards, since AMD provide opensource support.

I guess if only thing I need GPU for were games on Windows, I'd go for nVidia's GPU, but ... I don't.

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Um, you realize the only reason they (AMD)can do this is because they had planned on overcharging their customers, by definition? At least nvidia has reasonings for their large prices, large GPU dies and R&D into new technologies (ray tracing, etc.).

Even at these prices, these GPUs are too expensive for their die size. Their die size is marginally larger then the RX 580, yet cost twice as much.

I understand that die size is not the only factor in what causes a product to be expensive or not, there are many other factors, but it's a pretty big factor.

Competition is good, and i hope AMD actually brings out high-end GPUs to compete with nvidias high-end GPUs in the next couple of years, but this isn't it. This is just AMD bringing out small GPUs and pricing them higher then they can because nvidia has large GPUs that are expensive to produce and is charging high prices. Maybe this means AMD can get enough profit to get back in the high-end game, who knows.

7. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Yield could be one factor?

carnivore likes this.
  8. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    LoL AMD trick Nvidia when it plan all long to lower the price what an epic move

9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yield has been stated by AMD, at least on their CPUs, to be good. Their CPUs are obviously much smaller, but in general it does not appear to be an issue from anything i've been able to gather, so unless there's an article about the yields of navi not being that great, i don't see this as being an explanation.

10. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    What a load of old shite you spout there.
    Nvidia are the ones who ripped off customers and just because they don't know how to make a smaller die, you think that is some how AMD's fault?

Now because of Nvidia's panic, they knew they couldn't keep charging horrendous prices for their cards and thus had to do something about it. AMD countered and rightly so.

As for RTX, I doubt anyone on here uses Raytracing on a 2060/s or even a 2070. The RTX is a gimmick that doesn't work and its not practical unless you have the 2080/ti and even then its more hype and only good if you want to reduce your resolution down to 1080 so it performs "normally".

11. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    That is, it's bad when it's Nvidia charging more, but when is AMD all is well?

OnnA, carnivore and Aura89 like this.
  12. Scoica

Scoica Active Member

GPU:
    rx 580 xxx
    when reality hits you

Order_66 likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol

Aura89 likes this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    darn brother remove the blindfold ... seriously you believe they do not know they do not know how to make a small die at nvidia ?
    regardless on what company you support for ...god knows what reason ... both amd and nvidia have top notch engineers they sure know how !

now Nvidia is panicking ? they are in total control see those super cards they released cards that with surgical precision giving em the performance advantage ... just a tiny bit not even 1% more performance than what they need ... and they did that time and time again ! And trust me i really hate the price gouging from both !

Aura89 likes this.
  15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Ouch, Navi may not be the savior that AMD fans were hoping for.

16. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    "Features" - not useful at that price point but hey.......

17. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Let's be clear. AMD baited Nvidia...and they took the bait! I think a nod of approval towards AMD is warranted.

Let's also understand that AMD's imminent 57xx release was the sole driver for Nvidia's super duper stack reconfiguration - and that's essentially what they did...a risky move that would leave a sour taste on those who purchased 'recently', especially since there's no new architectural changes here.

Remember also, it was Nvidia who raised pricing to eye-watering levels on the sole justification of a feature (RT) being mature enough to warrant it. Of course, the general public didn't buy into that, hence the poor subsequent financial returns. Nvidia must have known the fps hit and subsequent public backlash. It would be very interesting to know just how much developers are (still!) having to 'compromise' just to get a 'marketable' fps. Yes, we need innovation, and applause is most definitely due towards Nvidia for this but that's immediately cancelled by the original (and still current) pricing. The public care primarily about two things: pricing and performance. New features are always encouraged and welcome, but if they have yet to prove themselves then you really shouldn't be using them to justify such a significant price hike - across the entire series - on day 0.

For the benefit of the buying public, AMD and Nvidia need each other, just as Intel needs AMD. If one side is weak, well, I think we're wise enough to realise we don't want that to happen, again, too soon.
    All we need now is rDNA part 2. Then, 7nm Nvidia and Intel's response.

HandR and Undying like this.
  18. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    AMD tried to pull a fast one, but thankfully they came to their senses and lowered their prices. 2019-2020 is going to be very busy with a lot of competition.

19. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    this generation of amd gpu (navi) was never meant to be the Savior, but it can hold against the rtx 2070 at a lower price point which is pretty significant. This is a start of what might be coming when the architecture develops and mature, just like the first ryzen cpu was suppose to make ppl notice hey... we are doing something new and with the next gen ryzen 2 ppl are like wow more cores for productivity, cost efficient and the cpu could keep up with the more expensive intel.

This can only get better for consumer, good prices are a start and better performance and price ratio in the next generation.

20. alko26lik

alko26lik Guest

GPU:
    STRIX 2080Ti OC
    It has more to do with price/performance ratio than anything else... and with nvidia lowering price with super models, AMD had no choice if they wanna sell any cards at all.